King Cobra Fatality Rumor

dare-to-fly

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll have to remember that. The person I recently talked to claimed to have been in the park "the day that the kid got killed on King Cobra" to which I said nothing, but I thought I would ask. That person claimed this incident as the reason he wouldn't ride on coasters. Somehow I don't think he would ever believe me, so I'll probably just let that one go.

Also, didn't King Cobra have some kind of water canyon? I have never ridden the ride, but i think i remember seeing that somewhere.

Do you mean cannon? The only canyon I know of at KI is Beast Canyon. And...I'm ashamed to admit, I draw a blank.

For what it's worth, those still-standing TOGO stand-up's (pun intended) are fairly comfy rides, considering, and a lot more comfortable for me than some of the B&M's like Mantis and Chang....but maybe that's because I am a taller gentleman. Honestly, I might ride Mantis one more time to confirm the uncomfortable-ness and then retire from it unless they ever convert it to floorless...hahaha, yeah right!!

While I love Delirium and would take it over KC, I do miss KC and wouldn't mind being able to ride it again...the TOGO stand-up's also have some good g's and airtime moments!

Re: the King Cobra Water Cannon.

When KC was built, the area in which it was installed was called the "Wild Animal Habitat" themed area. You entered the section by walking under an arched sign, and then crossed a wooden footbridge into the area. The foot bridge existed approximately where the entrance to Action Zone now resides. However it was much more narrow, was densely covered with tropical foliage and of course crossed over a pond/stream. There were tropical birds housed in the area, and of course jungle music playing. The "stream" was very shallow, but flowed from the Screamin Demon loop area, over to what is now Stunt Crew Grill, under the foot bridge then under the KC helix.

In the center of the helix there was a water cannon that shot a geiser of water up as KC trains passed through. Unless the wind blew, riders did not get wet. The cannon was timed by sensor on the KC track. It was the same type of cannon used on WWC and Congo Falls. It made the same air "popping" sound those make.

When EXtreme Skyflyer was added years later, the area was "re-vamped" and had the entrance arch and footbridge removed. The stream was also drained. The area was re-branded Adventure Village. The KC water cannon still worked for about one season, minus the pond below, but then was turned off and never returned.

Quite honestly, the Wild Animal Habitat area of the park was a really well done (albeit small) area of the park. It was a terrible shock to see the gutting that took place in it's conversion to Adventure Village. You have the installation of the upcharge Skyflyer to thank for that.

Oddly enough, the Skyflyer was added mid-season. So construction walls were in existence for quite some time that season. When the arch was first being erected, people were abuzz about KI installing a coaster with a giant loop, much like people are speculating about the Rivertown construction today.

Shaggy

Oddly enough, the Skyflyer was added mid-season. So construction walls were in existence for quite some time that season. When the arch was first being erected, people were abuzz about KI installing a coaster with a giant loop, musch like people are speculating about the Rivertown construction today.

The only difference is that there are a lot more footers associated with this new construction which may give away what type of ride it is.

That and the fact that the internet now exists so people can more accurately follow construction and make educated comparisons. Back then, there was no internet, and you had to actually visit the park to see changes being made. That, or listen to chit-chat and buzz from everyday conversations that mentioned it.

The days of people lined up peeking through knottholes in construction fences are pretty much gone. People don't need to since internet sites and webcams get them visial access from home.

But that was the only way folks used to find out about things changing at a park. I kind of miss those days. Yes it's fun and more revealing to follow construction online. But as others have said, it does spoil the surprise somewhat.

Shaggy

Also back around when King Cobra came about, Six Flags St Louis converted their mine train ride to a stand up called Rail Blazer for the 84' season, which I do believe derailed and killed people, but I don't remember the specifics on that.

http://www.ultimaterollercoaster.com/coast...990/80s_6.shtml

I know drawings are not the most accurate depictions, but in the drawing of Rail Blazer on that brochure in the link, there are no bars in front of their legs! I never rode it, but for those who know about that coaster, was the only restraint the OTSR as depicted in the drawing? Or did it have the lap bar like KC and all the other stand-ups I've ridden?