Son Of Beast being dismantled?!?!

benred23

I rode it once and had no desire to ride it again. All the hub bub (sp?) has made me curious and I would probably ride it again just to see if it is as bad as I remember.

On a related note, I gave up on Meanstreak yesterday. I was riding it about every other trip to CP the last two years just wanting it to be decent. Much less trim on the first drop yesterday, way more jackhammering. My friend hurt his back.

Ok, After seeing it for myself today, I agree that all seems to be intact.. I did however notice that there seems to be same land moving/Excavating In the inside land within the main left hill and the turn around for the first drop.. Not sure if I was always there andf I just never noticed or if something is indeed going on..

Waiting and seeing is perfectly fine for me on a topic that weren't not even sure about. There is nothing to wait and see for; nothing has been confirmed at all.

Do I think it is being torn down? No.

Do I think KI is thinking about it right now? Yes.

i rode Drop Tower around 640 today, and was looking at Son of Beast, but mainly at its station because i saw someone falsely posted that the que was dismantled. i saw that it wasnt, but i wasnt focused on anything else... I sincerely hope this is not the case, but we shall see...

Part of it is. I was there a few weeks back and after riding Flight Deck, saw that it is dismantled from the entrance to about 20 feet in front of the bridge.

I think right now the park is honestly weighing its options. LIke i said earlier I'm sure worst case the Son of Beast will sit and rot till they can come up with something to fill the spot. No sense in spending money on removing it if you have nothing to put there. It would cost the park more money to remove it than let it rot. Hopefully they come up with something.

If they do heavily modify it and reopoen it, retheming wouldn't be a bad idea. I mean it's named after The Beast but its nothing like The Beast! In design, its more similar to Mean streak at CP, and its clear across the park in a different section. Also its name has been associated with "bad coaster" at this point so I could definitly see them retheming it. They could pretend its a new coaster for '11 or '12.

^Did you just say "the" Son of Beast? *puts hands to mouth*

Anyways, it seems to me that it all is intact. Or... everything that's visible. I wouldn't really care if they removed it or kept it there. I've never ridden it and I have no intentions to do so.

i rode Drop Tower around 640 today, and was looking at Son of Beast, but mainly at its station because i saw someone falsely posted that the que was dismantled. i saw that it wasnt, but i wasnt focused on anything else... I sincerely hope this is not the case, but we shall see...

Part of it is. I was there a few weeks back and after riding Flight Deck, saw that it is dismantled from the entrance to about 20 feet in front of the bridge.

They only removed a small section of the que was removed.

This is a question that I want to ask because of something I was told years ago about Son of Beast. SOB has a larger guage track and it requires a slightly larger train to fit SOB's track. I do not recall where I heard that from, but it was in the back of my mind. If this is true, how did they get used coaster trains, did they get modified? This may sound like a silly question but, I was just wondering. THANKS!!!

How about, if you don't want to talk about it, then don't. I don't see why a topic should be ever be closed unless it's a repeat, or has become a "flame war"... The name of the topic is very distinct, "Son of Beast being dismantled?!?!" and so there ought to be very little confusion when it's in the "recent posts" box on the main page that it is a topic you don't care for. If it doesn't interest you, then don't click on it. If there's nothing left to say about it, then the topic will slowly fall back in the forums until its deleted.

If we start deleting every topic that doesn't seem relevant to some new people and try to restrict to conversation to one thread on Snoopy's Starlight Spectacular, one thread on Planet Snoopy, one thread on Son of Beast, and one thread for 'Other', what's the point?

How about, if you don't want to talk about it, then don't. I don't see why a topic should be ever be closed unless it's a repeat, or has become a "flame war"... The name of the topic is very distinct, "Son of Beast being dismantled?!?!" and so there ought to be very little confusion when it's in the "recent posts" box on the main page that it is a topic you don't care for. If it doesn't interest you, then don't click on it. If there's nothing left to say about it, then the topic will slowly fall back in the forums until its deleted.

If we start deleting every topic that doesn't seem relevant to some new people and try to restrict to conversation to one thread on Snoopy's Starlight Spectacular, one thread on Planet Snoopy, one thread on Son of Beast, and one thread for 'Other', what's the point?

There is just a lot of threads about this going around these boards. He had a question, we answered it. Should have ended there. :D

Guest rcfreak339

Am I the only one who thinks that even if SoB runs again it will take a ton of renovations just to get it ride able again? It's been sitting there untouched for almost a full year...

Am I the only one who thinks that even if SoB runs again it will take a ton of renovations just to get it ride able again? It's been sitting there untouched for almost a full year...

I have been wondering if they opened it as is, what would need to be done to the structure to get it running again. Would normal start of season maintenance be enough?

The General Manager of Kings Island has made clear he is not happy with the ride experience. Unless such is rectified, it will not reopen. A request for proposals to so do was recently on the street. I would suspect they are now being evaluated, with an eye towards a final decision.

Yes, but mine was a what if, not a actual. I realize that is not going to be the case.

You know I was thinking about the Son of Beast and where it sits now and I came to the conclusion the park reacted the wrong way to the incident in '06. I mean 2006... 6 years after the ride opened it had a structural failure that caused non-life threatening injuries. When I think about it, it could be due to faulty design, or it could just be "stuff happens' and something that could of easily happened on any roller coaster! I think the park took it too far putting different trains and taking the loop out of it. Honestly it seems if they just do a thorough inspection prior to opening the ride every year it would of been fine. Instead they took out the loop and put lighter trains that were never designed to operate on it, and IMO made it a worse ride. Either that or hybrid idea should of been done at that point. Either way putting new trains and removing the loop was the wrong decision. It was a "quick fix". And while it hasn't broke since, it has caused another injury.

I will be the first to say when I rode the Son of Beast in 2003 I got off pumped, excited and thought it was the best coaster I have ever rode. In '07 after reopening, it was still a good ride, but not near as awesome as it was before... and granted this is if your riding in the front. Naturally I wanted to ride the Son of Beast in the back so I gave it a try... I got off with a splitting headache and it was the worst ride I have ever had on a coaster in my life. It was obvious at that point that these new trains were never designed to run of the Son of Beast track. It really doesn't suprise me at all that someone would bust a blood vessel!

Anyway I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they find a solution. I'm thinking at this point bringing the loop back is probably out of the question, especially since they scrapped the loop anyway, but they still can get some better trains that fit the bill better. Because honestly that is all that is wrong the the ride in its current state. The new trains quite frankley suck!