KI 1975..... Dolphins?

Snowman

Well the regular season came to an end yesterday and the coasters must have been tired, because Diamondback was 10 minutes late letting passers ride.

After being open for 10 minutes they shut it down for another 10 minutes and everyone waited while an engineer rode it once. So we all got maybe 2 rides in before the sea of people came.

Then The Beast brokedown shortly after 10:00. It was bad enough that a train got stuck on the lift hill and riders had to be walked back down. Don't know when it re-opened.

I hope the old Guy is OK.

We'll know in 3 weeks! First Haunt, can't wait.... BOO!!

Last night I came across this great old film footage on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wj02zD0dJLs&feature=related

Apologies if this has already been posted.

I have a question for any KI veterans. After watching this footage, I couldn't help but wonder what in the world did they do with the dolphins in winter? I've seen pictures of KI fountain frozen over with people skating on it, so it had to be too cold for them in their tank. Where did they go?

They were transported off property to a Marine Life tank in the south, from what I have been told.

In addition, if memory serves me... the Dolphins weren't at KI every season in latter years of the Dolphin stadium's existence. The dolphins were roated season to season at the other parks (i.e. KD)

What I mean is, KI may have had the dolphins one season and the next the arena housed an exotic bird show with a stage built on top of the pool.

This began when the bird arena in Wild Animal Habitat was removed, I believe.

Interesting. All that moving had to be brutal on the dolphins. It was a different time I guess.

What did they do with the other animals during the winter? Did they have in indoor habitat on the property that they kept them in?

Our first trip to KI was just last year so I'm very late to the history of KI party.

A different time? Only ten years ago, SeaWorld transported an arsenal of dolphins, whales, tigers, birds, and much more from Northeast Ohio to Florida and back again every year. Even more recently than that, Six Flags did the same, but took its animals to Six Flags Discovery Kingdom. Cedar Point only stopped having dolphins in 1998, with that stadium now housing the "All Wheels Extreme" bike stunt show. I believe Cedar Point's aquarium left the year after, in 1999. Sea Animals were at home in all the Ohio parks at different times!

Interesting. All that moving had to be brutal on the dolphins. It was a different time I guess.

What did they do with the other animals during the winter? Did they have in indoor habitat on the property that they kept them in?

Our first trip to KI was just last year so I'm very late to the history of KI party.

From what I was told, several of the animals from the Wild Animal Habitat resided at the Cincinnati Zoo during the off season.

As I have aged, I've become less tolerant of caged animals for the purpose of human amusement. I tend to be much more forgiving of Sea Worlds or Busch-esque parks. However, I personally am glad to see the days of holding dolphins captive in 50' diameter pools are gone. Even as a kid I recall thinking "The dolphin show is cool, but they sure don't have much space to swim."

Oh, and earlier I failed to mention that in the latter years it was a 3-season rotation between the parks. Dolphins, Birds and Sea Lions.

I recall a rumor (I'll call it that as I don't have proof of fact) that a Sea Lion died at KD under curious circumstances. They performed an autopsy and discovered the Sea Lion had died from ingesting pennies thrown into the pool. Again, I don't have proof, but seem to recall my parents seeing it on the news or reading about it in the paper.

Shaggy

• Like 2

From what I was told, several of the animals from the Wild Animal Habitat resided at the Cincinnati Zoo during the off season.

As I have aged, I've become less tolerant of caged animals for the purpose of human amusement. I tend to be much more forgiving of Sea Worlds or Busch-esque parks. However, I personally am glad to see the days of holding dolphins captive in 50' diameter pools are gone. Even as a kid I recall thinking "The dolphin show is cool, but they sure don't have much space to swim."

Oh, and earlier I failed to mention that in the latter years it was a 3-season rotation between the parks. Dolphins, Birds and Sea Lions.

I recall a rumor (I'll call it that as I don't have proof of fact) that a Sea Lion died at KD under curious circumstances. They performed an autopsy and discovered the Sea Lion had died from ingesting pennies thrown into the pool. Again, I don't have proof, but seem to recall my parents seeing it on the news or reading about it in the paper.

Shaggy

I agree completely about getting less tolerant. It's tough for me as an animal lover but father of a 2 yr. old. I live in Fort Wayne and we've got an awesome zoo. The new areas are much better habitats with larger open spaces and more realistic natural conditions but some of the old cages are heartbreaking.

My daughter loves turtles so when they found one on the playground at the school I work at I took it home for her. We put it in a 10 gallon tank but had to let it go. That's just not living, whether you have a very primitive mind or not.

• Like 2

Even as a kid I recall thinking "The dolphin show is cool, but they sure don't have much space to swim."

You're not alone. I remember thinking the same thing when I saw the dolphin show. And likewise, I never even liked going to the zoo as a kid (or as an adult). I hate seeing the cats pace endlessly around the perimeter of their enclosure, or witnessing the primates being gawked at all day by onlookers. I'm not an animal activist, I just don't see the joy in watching animals in captivity like that. (ok, end of diversion! :unsure: )

A different time? Only ten years ago, SeaWorld transported an arsenal of dolphins, whales, tigers, birds, and much more from Northeast Ohio to Florida and back again every year. Even more recently than that, Six Flags did the same, but took its animals to Six Flags Discovery Kingdom. Cedar Point only stopped having dolphins in 1998, with that stadium now housing the "All Wheels Extreme" bike stunt show. I believe Cedar Point's aquarium left the year after, in 1999. Sea Animals were at home in all the Ohio parks at different times!

Regardless if it was 10 years or 2 weeks ago, the thought of anyone regularly loading up and hauling large sea animals around in a trailer for peoples' amusement is horrible!

and I was surprised to hear KI ever supported that.

I learned awhile back that just because it's news to me doesn't mean it's news.

• Like 1

Funny this was mentioned. I have no recollection of dolphins, but just a few weeks ago, a friend and I went round and round on this. He said "Do they still have the dolphins there?" I looked at him like he was nuts. I told him he was crazy. lol. Anyways, we went round and round on the topic and my Dad walks by. I grab him and say "Please tell him there were never any dolphins at the park"

Then he looked at ME like I was the crazy one.

He said "Uh, we took you to see them so many times. I am sure we have pictures. You even got wet on several occasions from the splashing"

I felt dumb..but still doubted. I need to get him to find the pictures so I can scan them. He said they used to be around Timberwolf.

^Wrong amphitheater. Saltwater Circus was located behind International Showplace, in the area currently occupied partially by Snoopy's Starlight Spectacular and partially by Diamondback.

You are correct... in addition...

Originally, the exotic bird show was in a similar ampitheatre near the location of Timberwolf. The bird show was tucked away in the corner where the Invertigo Plaza now exists. Here's a pic:

LionCountrySafariUnknownCoaster%281975%29.jpg

Shaggy

• Like 1

^Wrong amphitheater. Saltwater Circus was located behind International Showplace, in the area currently occupied partially by Snoopy's Starlight Spectacular and partially by Diamondback.

Originally, the exotic bird show was in a similar ampitheatre near the location of Timberwolf. The bird show was tucked away in the corner where the Invertigo Plaza now exists. Here's a pic:

LionCountrySafariUnknownCoaster%281975%29.jpg

Shaggy

So, is that the entirety of the Adventure Village area? From the things people here had said (real parakeets in the trees, waterfalls, jungle music, etc) I imagined it being similar to Kings Dominion's current Congo area (forested, jungle drum soundtrack, dark, well-landscaped, secluded)... The area in that photo looks rather devoid of trees, theme, and... well... beauty. Is that photo of the adventure area in its prime? Am I missing something?

GYK, who always blindly agreed with those who said Adventure Village was much nicer than Action Zone simply based on the theme, but who, upon seeing this photo, is thinking he may have been wrong...

Shaggy

So, is that the entirety of the Adventure Village area? From the things people here had said (real parakeets in the trees, waterfalls, jungle music, etc) I imagined it being similar to Kings Dominion's current Congo area (forested, jungle drum soundtrack, dark, well-landscaped, secluded)... The area in that photo looks rather devoid of trees, theme, and... well... beauty. Is that photo of the adventure area in its prime? Am I missing something?

GYK, who always blindly agreed with those who said Adventure Village was much nicer than Action Zone simply based on the theme, but who, upon seeing this photo, is thinking he may have been wrong...

Nope, that's the area sometime around it's 2nd or 3rd season ('75 or '76)... Here's a pic (albeit fa fuzzy one...) of it in it's prime:

cobramonorail.jpg

• Like 1

Shaggy

Nope, that's the area sometime around it's 2nd or 3rd season ('75 or '76)... Here's a pic (albeit fa fuzzy one...) of it in it's prime:

cobramonorail.jpg

WOW what an amazing picture!! I can't get a visual reference of what direction this pic was taken. If I'm on the E.T. which direction is this? and what is there now? Is that the tram that's at Jungle Jim's now in the background?

Thanks for reminiscing everyone, this is all new to me!!! Very Cool!!!

Shaggy

cobramonorail.jpg

WOW what an amazing picture!! I can't get a visual reference of what direction this pic was taken. If I'm on the E.T. which direction is this? and what is there now? Is that the tram that's at Jungle Jim's now in the background?

Thanks for reminiscing everyone, this is all new to me!!! Very Cool!!!

I think that's looking in a northerly direction, towards what is now the Action Zone area.

Well that's the area I was talking about, right? That's the area that was supposedly so beautiful and adventure-y, right?

Aerial photos can be decieving, GYK. Take a look at Disneyland on Bing Maps sometime.

The ground-level guest experience was the best, themeatically speaking, in the park. You crossed a suspended rope bridge to get into the area, you could hear wild animals mixed with jungle beats coming through the PA... the staff were all dressed in khaki jumpsuits, the architecture encouraged a sense of adventure, there were animals and birds throughout the area, not just in the main habitat. Ground-level photos seem to be somewhat rare, but once the landscaping grew in it was quite lush, beautiful, and mysterious. You would have loved it.

• Like 2

I hadn't seen that second posted picture... The area really does look very beautiful in that. I'm sure I did see it, but simply don't remember, which saddens me. :( But it looks incredible! Too bad it didn't stay - if it did, Tomb Raider: The Ride would almost certainly have been built there, and perhaps Diamondback, too. That would fit well thematically, and leave Rivertown as an isolated mining town (perfect for The Beast) that actually had river rides.

• Like 2

Looking back over these old pics and reading about the history of the park you all are posting is kind of like watching a video game being played!

"This coaster isn't working out, lets move it and put Delirium here." "Lake... Lake!.... We don't need no stinkin' lake..... Fill it in and put a COASTER there!!!"

I Love It!

• Like 1

• 5 years later...

Looking back over these old pics and reading about the history of the park you all are posting is kind of like watching a video game being played!

"This coaster isn't working out, lets move it and put Delirium here." "Lake... Lake!.... We don't need no stinkin' lake..... Fill it in and put a COASTER there!!!"

I Love It!

Anyone know what that coaster was in Delirium's spot?

Edit: Missed PhantomTheater's post saying the helix on King Cobra occupied Delirium's spot.

But what is that little helix-ey coaster on the map at 43?

• Like 1

^Bavarian Beetle. It was a small Galaxi style coaster relocated from Coney Island. And despite being on that 1978 map, its last year was actually 1977*.

*Or perhaps it was removed mid-season 1978, but it was for sure gone by August.

Edit - Actually, it appears as though it was indeed removed mid-1978.

3FgySvH.jpg

This shot (courtesy Roller Coaster Philosophy) is clearly from August 1978, based off the floral date at bottom. Ferris Wheel stood in the spot previously occupied Bavarian Beetle, so the roller coaster was removed by this point.

pZkqHeU.jpg

But this aerial picture of the park (source unknown) is also from 1978 and Bavarian Beetle is clearly visible. You can tell it's from then because Tower Gardens opened that year and the water fall is visible (I'm 90% sure that's what that spot is, even though it looks a little large). Additionally, Beast construction has begun (no more Shawnee's Landing) and the ticket booths to the left of the main entrance are there (I think those were added in 1978).

Hmm. I wonder why the coaster was removed midseason then, although this would help explain why Ferris Wheel suddenly appeared without much fanfare.

• Like 6