Kentucky Kingdom

Latest Facebook post by KK announces that they have reduced the height requirement for the Splash Zone slides from 48 to 42 inches.

Top comment? A complaint about the Himalaya's 60-inch requirement.

They just can't win. It's at times like these that I almost feel sorry for Ed Hart and company.

Having said that, I will be visiting Kentucky Kingdom Friday. So I'll decide what I really think about the park after I've experienced it in person.

• Like 7

or you lock comments.

I don't think Facebook allows you to lock comments on individual posts, or at all for that matter. You can disable wall posts by others, which is a global setting that, when flipped, immediately wipes out all wall posts by others that have ever been made. But AFAIK it is not possible to lock comments on a post except by banning everyone from the entire page or outright deleting the post.

I will be visiting Kentucky Kingdom Friday.

Does that mean what I think it means for your Thursday plans?

If you're thinking that it means that I am indeed going to HW on Thursday, you are correct. Staying at Santa's Lodge that night, then stopping at KK on the way back. :)

• Like 6

Latest Facebook post by KK announces that they have reduced the height requirement for the Splash Zone slides from 48 to 42 inches.

Top comment? A complaint about the Himalaya's 60-inch requirement.

They just can't win. It's at times like these that I almost feel sorry for Ed Hart and company.

Having said that, I will be visiting Kentucky Kingdom Friday. So I'll decide what I really think about the park after I've experienced it in person

I would hope the manufacturer of said slides recommends a 42" height requirement. We know that KI routinely ups the height requirement by a few inches from what the manufacturer suggests for safety reasons, but to reduce it? By 6 inches? Color me puzzled.

• Like 5

I wonder how Mr. Hart and Mr. Lunsford slept last night.

The game has changed.

Either could sink their own money into the New Kentucky Kingdom and salvage the effort.

The whole business plan has suddenly changed drastically. The local competition just greatly heated up.

They can no longer just wing it.

• Like 13

I wonder how Mr. Hart and Mr. Lunsford slept last night.

The game has changed.

Either could sink their own money into the New Kentucky Kingdom and salvage the effort.

The whole business plan has suddenly changed drastically. The local competition just greatly heated up.

They can no longer just wing it.

In an attempt to pay devil's advocate, I almost wonder if KK's revenue will actually increase next year given last night's announcement. Perhaps enthusiasts will combine a trip to check out the new HW attraction with a stop at KK? I don't know, just a thought.
  • Like 10

It's probably going to increase attendance to KK. I don't think it's just enthusiasts who would do such a thing either.

KK needs to step it up at all cost. While the whole family struggles have put some negative light on HW, people can relate to that family so it's not destroying the park. Who hasn't had a huge family drama develop in their family? People still go to that park, still have a good time in a very family friendly environment. Free soft drinks, free sun screen without a bunch of riff raff.

• Like 5

And yet the same Mr. Hart said that the Kochs were wanting to get their mitts on what would have been Bluegrass Boardwalk just so they could shut it down to protect Holiday World.

If people do visit both parks next year, I'm sure they will compare both, and see the park with the superior rides, water park, entertainment, food, group picnics, amenities, attitude, professionalism and customer service.

And compare the new for 2015 attractions.

Then, post 2016, when Mr. Hart has said Kentucky Kingdom will use a strategy Six Flags did not, Kentucky Kingdom will thrive against Holiday World, Kings Island, etc.

You see, Mr. Hart says that Kentucky Kingdom after 2016 will re-invest $1.5 to $2 million a year in the park.

Seriously.

Against Thunderbird we have a...what was it I called it last night right before 2030 CDT?

A vulture.

• Like 10

Just don't wear a Speedo, use a wheelchair or try to breastfeed your baby.

Kentucky Kingdom has rules.

You must fit in with the rest of their crowd, or you will be ejected from the water park, told to feed your baby elsewhere or denied equal access.

Then the park will blame its "so-called" employee.

Easy choice.

• Like 4

I'm not going to lie - I live an hour east of Louisville and we will definitely drive the additional hour to Holiday World next year. I have no desire to visit KK.

I had friends on Facebook and Twitter discussing HW and Thunderbird last night and they're not even remotely enthusiasts. The announcement was a huge success.

• Like 8

Kentucky Kingdom is really going to need to up their game. With HW adding a LAUNCHED Wing Rider and them Fixing up T2 to T3, The Amphitheater and The Water Rapids coming back they need to add more than that to at least not be the loser of the surrounding markets in 2015. I think that while their attendance is going to increase next year, they need to start looking out for trouble. How about they add that 14 million $ that was originally proposed that (I think) was a B&M. Ed Hart is not looking to good right now but do not underestimate him. With Chang in 1997 Kentucky Kingdom added more than 400,000 more guests to 1.1 million. So if they did a Chang type thing and do not sell it right afterwords I think Kentucky Kingdom would be better off. Kentucky Kingdom I think is probably going to have another season next year. I am not so sure about 2016 though yet.

Then, post 2016, when Mr. Hart has said Kentucky Kingdom will use a strategy Six Flags did not, Kentucky Kingdom will thrive against Holiday World, Kings Island, etc.

You see, Mr. Hart says that Kentucky Kingdom after 2016 will re-invest $1.5 to $2 million a year in the park.

Seriously.

Against Thunderbird we have a...what was it I called it last night right before 2030 CDT?

A vulture.

This is just unreal.

$2 million a year ought to be enough to keep the buildings painted. Or in terms of a new attraction, maybe a water slide. Not a water slide complex, mind you. Wow. Totally incredible.

I bet Mr. Hart is hoping that bacon gets to sizzling pretty darn fast... his window of escape is becoming Indiana-Jones-style narrow.

Kentucky Kingdom 2015 better impress an operator. And at this point, probably an inexperienced one.

• Like 5

Holiday World is not the biggest threat to KK. Clientele is. I'll not elaborate any more other than to say KK is still suffering from a reputation of being an "urban" park. It's not a reputation they will be able to shake, and it's horribly damaging to long term success.

Holiday World, although the recent squabbles have diminished it, still retains it's family friendly and ultra clean/safe reputation. I was there yesterday (yes I was present at the announcement) and I was yet again amazed at how Holiday World has tapped into what I call the "Disney" effect. It's that really odd vibe where the guests literally take care of the park and help keep it clean. The family-branded past basically "educated" guests who, in turn, feel a part of the family and do their part. It's an amazing talent for a park to develop this sort of mindset. The current caretakers have Pat and Will to thank for that.

KK, on the other hand, is dealing with trying to keep things operational in what is likely a stressful, and cumbersome "first" year. I would suspect that, come off season, lots of change will happen at KK.... mainly internal strategy and infrastructure. Hart's a smart, assertive businessman with an ego that isn't going to be topped. I would suspect that much more than a rehab of T2 and rapids will be taking place. But hopefully a re-focused concentration on guest retention and impressions will drive their decisions. Year two of ANY business, is always the toughest... mostly because the "new" has worn off.

Buuuut..... Holiday's Worlds announcement may actually serve as a very good thing for KK. How so?

Holiday World just entered the big leagues. Yesterday's announcement was an assertive effort by the park to make a big boy statement... they want to sit at the big kids table. But with such growth comes growing pains. Holiday World will see increasing struggles with their need to maintain the family reputation that Pat and Will built. When parks become large destination parks, they loose the intimacy and small-town vibe... and guests react accordingly. In addition, the marketing is changing. This year, the marketing of HW has been a direct, and apparent attempt to assert the park above ANY surrounding tourist destinations. For the first time, I felt the advertising (billboards) had a negative undertone and I personally feel it reflects a bit poorly on the park. Gone was any trace of the Koch family vibe... and people miss it.

It ill be interesting to see how this all pans out. But bottom line, I don't think KK should focus on what Holiday World is doing as much as they should be concerned about what they should be doing.... and that has nothing to do with building rides.

No park is without it's struggles.

• Like 15