Kentucky Kingdom

I'm STILL not sure why they closed down the former "Happy Harbor" area full of climbing nets and brand spanking new family flats (swinging ship, YoYo swings, arcade games, slides, etc) and the simulator / 4D theater. Seems to me that the existing Wildwater Kingdom would be a MUCH stronger park with those half-dozen family rides, climbing nets, a simulator, a 4D movie, and a ski-show.

Those rides were not new, Yo -Yo and Scrambler were both relocated from the other side after 20+ years of operation. Pirates Flight and the Bee ride came from other Six Flags parks. The swinging ship is the only one that might have been new.

• Like 1

I made my second trip of the season to Kentucky Kingdom yesterday and like the first, I had a great time. Lightning Run and Thunder Run are both great coasters and give me hope for the future of the park being bright. I did not notice some differences from earlier in the season. The landscaping and a few more finishing touches made it so the park felt more complete and less rough around the edges. I have no complaints in how things looked. I also took a closer look at the carousel. Wow that thing is pretty. It could stand some restoration work but it really is nice and had a fully functioning band organ that sounded great. I did not do the water park but it really does look nice and has a good variety of attractions. It is a worthy competitor to Splashin' Safari.

Operations could still improve. The employees all seemed great but dispatch times were still pretty slow. I don't fault those working the rides, they just seemed under staffed. There were a grand total of two people working Thunder Run and I think three on Lightning Run which also was still just one train operation on a Monday. I know they run both trains on the weekends but do they have more ops working too? It would really help...

For lunch I tried out the BBQ place this time. To be honest, I liked the food over at Swamp Water Jacks better and was astonished that in the middle of lunch they had ran out of pulled pork...The lady said they were busier than normal for a Monday but it still seemed strange. The good news it the meal with drink only cost me a little less than 7 bucks. Hooray for season pass discounts. I would however be happy to pay a buck or two more if the food was a little better.

I think the park layout while confusing, will improve when the back part of the park is open again. They really should also consider letting visitors use the currently employee only crossing as an alternative to the bridge to get to the back half of the park. Sure they would need someone staffed there to direct traffic or possible a light or stop sign but it would make the trip to the area around Thunder Run a lot quicker. Also, I am not sure why they have that crazy way to get to the Drop Tower. A path already exists to get there from the main midway but they have it blocked off with a fence and some roses in order to create a space for a couple tables for a food stand...Considering they have added a bunch more tables just across the path, this does not seem necessary. Maybe it will change in the future. I also noticed that past the swinging ship just beyond it and Lightning Run there is a pretty sizable piece of land for expansion. Not large coaster size but big enough for a smaller one or several flats and buildings.

Overall I am still impressed with what has been accomplished with the place in such a short amount of time. They have a long way to go and I hope they are successful but its nice to see improvement. Recent PR problems aside, I think they can still make the place a success.

• Like 9

Operations could still improve. The employees all seemed great but dispatch times were still pretty slow. I don't fault those working the rides, they just seemed under staffed. There were a grand total of two people working Thunder Run and I think three on Lightning Run which also was still just one train operation on a Monday. I know they run both trains on the weekends but do they have more ops working too? It would really help...

Last Friday they were running both trains on Lightning Run, and one train on Thunder Run. Staffing levels were the same, with two ops on Thunder and three on Lightning.

• Like 3

Honestly, I don't think LR stacks any worse with two trains than The Bat does at KI. LR's ride time is only about 38 seconds from lift crest to brakes, plus about 30 on the lift itself (according to a TPR POV of the coaster on YouTube). That's shorter than even The Bat. So of course you're going to have a train waiting on the brakes for a while, just like The Bat.

• Like 2

I hate when my boobs fly out of my shirt while my hands is up.*

Ah, Kentucky Kingdom's Facebook... That thing is a conglomeration of all the things that get on my nerves about amusement park Facebook pages. I can honestly say I haven't intentionally looked for anything related to Kentucky Kingdom on Facebook since before the park opened because of the ridiculous comments.

*I'm male.

• Like 10

The ridiculous comments are actually winding down as the season is coming to a close and there seems to be more sanctification.

BTW, There is only several days left of operation of Hurricane Bay for the 2014 season. After Aug 9, the water park is expected to be closed for the season to the public.

• Like 2

If it's any consultation, my friend Ronny and I always joked that if Kings Island made a Facebook post telling the world that they found a pill that cures cancer and would be giving it out free to everyone in the world the top two responses would be:

"When do season passes go on sale?"

and

"So your[sic] telling me that you can cure cancer but I still have to pay 3.49 for a Coney at King Island???"

• Like 4

Indeed, there ARE fewer ridiculous comments coming from Mr. Hart and his upper-management.

Perhaps there is hope.

But, there's a Kentucky State Fair to get through.

Less sanctification, not more, would be a good thing.

My prediction is that the state fair will not be a problem for Kentucky Kingdom. Kentucky Kingdom in past history has never received much business during the state fair. Most fair goers would rather ride the fair rides since they are only there for 10 days while you can ride Kentucky Kingdom all season long. As you have said, and as many of us know, Hurricane Bay is the park’s main draw right now as the park is still in redevelopment, and as I have said before Hurricane Bay closes Sunday (Hurricane Bay has never been open during the fair in past history). The only thing I see guest coming into the park for is $1 drinks.

Which is EXACTLY why the predicted debacle is going to occur. There are MANY who are going to think this same way, and only a small portion of them will be individuals like those of us who belong to and read forums such as this (enthusiast/hobbyists). As Terp said above, we are not the primary demographic.

EDIT:The above response was to Dieseltech20, Railrider you and I posted at the same time :)

• Like 2

Kentucky Kingdom has been out of the news as of late so I guess Ed Hart and his team have fixed up the problems that arose. I may visit their next year if I have a chance. Also the 1.0-2.5 million is like new rides and that kinda of stuff not for off season maintenance. Can I ask people a question? Is Kentucky Kingdom better off with Ed Hart than Six Flags/Premier Parks? If the answer is Yes thats great because Six Flags made one of the fastest growing amusment parks a dump and that is what I believe is the correct answer. If no then earlier in the Six Flags management the park was doing okay but once Shapiro came in and the horrific Superman Drop Tower incident and not adding but removing great attractions the park went WAY down hill. While I agree Kentucky Kingdom is not in the best situation I believe that is in a WAY better situation than it was from 2006-2010.

If it's any consultation, my friend Ronny and I always joked that if Kings Island made a Facebook post telling the world that they found a pill that cures cancer and would be giving it out free to everyone in the world the top two responses would be:

"When do season passes go on sale?"

and

"So your[sic] telling me that you can cure cancer but I still have to pay 3.49 for a Coney at King Island???"

Social Media is a double edged sword. On one hand, it's the most efficient and easiest way to reach people - on the other hand, a lot of those people are complete morons.

• Like 7

dollar drinks, which they aren't without a pass anyway.

At food stands, that is correct, unless you have a souvenir cup. However, there are also a few standalone $1 drink stands, where drinks are apparently $1 for everyone. I walked up to one and was given a large (32oz) cup for $1 (tax included). My receipt from that purchase says "souvenir refill", even though I did not have a souvenir cup, but I got the impression that they were indeed $1 for everyone there and that the "souvenir refill" button was just a convenient way of charging a dollar.

The park posted a really neat picture of Lightning Run on Facebook with the caption "Lightning Run provides lightning quick speeds, twisting turns and drops that will electrify your senses!".

The top comment: "And it will also make your boobs fly out of your shirt while your hands is up:("

wut?

Crass but true. I almost caught that in action in a picture. I did not realize it until I got home and looked at them on a computer, but a lady in the front row was obviously trying to prevent a wardrobe malfunction.

• Like 2

Which is EXACTLY why the predicted debacle is going to occur. There are MANY who are going to think this same way, and only a small portion of them will be individuals like those of us who belong to and read forums such as this (enthusiast/hobbyists). As Terp said above, we are not the primary demographic.

EDIT:The above response was to Dieseltech20, Railrider you and I posted at the same time :)

True. I will be at the State Fair on both weekends. Will look from afar and see how it looks crowd wise before deciding to enter. The only rides I have any real interest in riding are Thunder Run and Lightning Run.

Not too worried about dollar drinks or food in the park really. There will be plenty of that available at the State Fair. The booth I help with is in close proximity to the Webb's Butcher Block booth, so I normally help deplete their stock while there. :)

• Like 2