Kentucky Kingdom

Apparently my perception of large crowds was due to the weather forcing people inside.

4 days at the fair and I only ventured outside once, at closing time, because I foolishly walked out the wrong side of the South Wing.

Such a shame because the few people I know that have visited KK this season have NOTHING but good things to say about the park.

• Like 2

I was at the fair and KK on the last day. Curiously we were given free fair tickets and parking right before we were to pay at the gate...I am still not sure what that was about. Kentucky Kingdom had a decent crowd. The last time I was there during the fair was in 2007 and even with no admission back then the place was completely dead. We bought two meals, a few drinks and a stuffed sea lion for my daughter. Hopefully other folks were spending some money too. I really do want that place to succeed. Now I need to figure out how to squeeze in one more trip to get that 2015 season pass deal :)

• Like 5

I doubt that will hurt Kentucky Kingdom. The reason why is because the park is already paying $1.25 over minimum wage.

• Like 3

I wonder if Cedar Point is removing Mantis in hopes of purchasing Lightning Run? Seriously though this is not good news in any way for Kentucky Kingdom. Been a rough end of the season. PR admission baffoonery (Thanks for that one Terpy), Thunderbird craps all over next seasons possible improvements, horrible fair attendance, and the Kingdom finds itself soon to be at the center of a charged political environment.

Compare Hard Rock Park and Kentucky Kingdom respectively after their first season. HRP was better positioned to succeed at this point then Kentucky Kingdom is.

• Like 5

Its sad to say about Kentucky Kingdom, but I also must say a lot of their failures is the land they sit on, between Nashville / Louisville there seems to be a great need for a Park. Dealing with the KY State Fair Board has to be hard indeed. To the hopes of continued building, operating, or a new buyer that maybe just gets to buy the land and build their own parking lot?

You know, while I'm a raging Kings Island fanboy, I really like Kentucky Kingdom a lot. And I think I've figured out why. Their ride selection covers pretty much everything that Kings Island is missing. A fun, compact Woodie, a solid ejector airtime machine, a ferris wheel, FREAKING FLYING SCOOTERS, and a good selection of unique small flats.

• Like 8

You know, while I'm a raging Kings Island fanboy, I really like Kentucky Kingdom a lot. And I think I've figured out why. Their ride selection covers pretty much everything that Kings Island is missing. A fun, compact Woodie, a solid ejector airtime machine, a ferris wheel, FREAKING FLYING SCOOTERS, and a good selection of unique small flats.

Minus the ferris wheel and flying scooters and voila, Kennywood! :lol:

• Like 4

I wonder if Cedar Point is removing Mantis in hopes of purchasing Lightning Run? Seriously though this is not good news in any way for Kentucky Kingdom. Been a rough end of the season. PR admission baffoonery (Thanks for that one Terpy), Thunderbird craps all over next seasons possible improvements, horrible fair attendance, and the Kingdom finds itself soon to be at the center of a charged political environment.

Compare Hard Rock Park and Kentucky Kingdom respectively after their first season. HRP was better positioned to succeed at this point then Kentucky Kingdom is.

How is the decision to remove Mantis in any way bad news for Kentucky Kingdom? I don't think anyone on here can say exactly how the Kingdom is doing financially, especially considering your statements are based off of a few** PR mistakes/ perceptions. I think you all will be mighty surprised when next year rolls around. I'll leave it at that.
  • Like 2

Serious question, I brought up earlier and never really got an answer.

How long does this version of KK have to survive to be considered a success? I mean they have managed to keep the lights on all summer, is that a victory? Will 2 years be enough or do we need 5? What if it's sold, is that a success? Does it need to turn a profit? KI is a success and many would say it is even if tomorrow it was announced that KI would never reopen. GL was a very successful park. Even in the last few years. So the What about the new KK

• Like 1

I would say that you can't put a specific number on it. There is really no objective way to determine success or failure here. It's all subjective. One person might already consider them a success simply because they managed to re-open. Another person might deem the venture a failure the moment they close, even if that's 20 years down the road. Ultimately, you have to decide on your own criteria for success or failure, and accept that others might disagree with you.

• Like 5

The park simply being there and open has brought happiness to many people.

To an extent, that's enough for me to call them a success. Now, from a business standpoint, I think my general way of thinking is, if you are staying afloat, you are currently a success. Once you no longer can, you have failed.

Arrow Dynamics and Saturn Corporation are my favorite companies in any industry. Neither exists anymore (though in both cases, their assets were absorbed by other companies, and the situation is a mess). From a business standpoint, both of these companies have failed. That doesn't mean that their successes can't be boasted in other areas.

• Like 5