Kentucky Kingdom

Shortly before the election, Mr. Hart, Mr. Glasscock and Mr. Lunsford suddenly got very quiet. No more bellicose bombast, no bodacious chest thumping congratulations on the bravado of re-opening the Kingdom and its economic effect on Louisville and the Commonwealth. Just the typical park marketing to be expected, and very little of even that.

Word is that every single state agency (or Cabinet, as Kentucky calls them) is being scrutinized for cuts, every state patronage contract or incentive is being eyed for loopholes allowing early termination, and the beneficiaries of the Commonwealth's somewhat sparse bounty may change drastically in the next four (eight?) years.

A very dangerous time to pop one's head up and make loud boasts. Can this (astutely advised) near silence continue? Or will the three, by accident or otherwise, speak loudly, thus identifying a potential target for greatly reduced state largess?

Not everyone gets to operate a park on state property with state incentives in competition with free enterprise not blessed with such advantages...

• Like 6

The whole arrangement that Kentucky Kingdom has still seems like an odd situation.  Not to mention the road that bisects the park still produces awkward movement about the park.  (And T3 seems like it is in the water park).  It will be interesting to see what develops from Kentucky Kingdom with the current government that will be taking up office in Kentucky.

• Like 5

I'm not a prophet, and time will tell, but the incentives the current operator are completely legal under KRS statutes.  These same incentives were available to any group wanting to reopen the park, including the Koch family, who do not seem to fit Kentucky Democratic ideals, but the Democratic establishment desperately wanted to run the park.

The incoming Republican regime has already tapped into Louisville's power base, who I conjecture would not want to see an economic driver disappear.

Of course, I have been wrong before and will be wrong again.  Time will tell. In the meantime, I will enjoy what the park has to offer.

Edit: to remove a word that did not have ill intentions, but could be taken as such.

• Like 4

The Koch family "coalition?"

There is no such thing.

I wish there were.

That was one of the many (non-expressed) reasons the Bluegrass Boardwalk effort ended.

The Koch family at this point is anything BUT a coalition, just as a Fair Board with Bevin nominees and The New Kentucky Kingdom will be anything BUT a coalition.

• Like 3

Maybe "coalition" was a poor choice of words.  I was using it in the terms of a group of people coming together for a common cause-before the unfortunate happenings that happened at Holiday World.  I was not intending to imply anything of a political nature with the Koch family, except that they don't fit the Kentucky Democratic mold, but the Kentucky Democrats wanted them to operate the park.

But it wasn't before...

And it wasn't a coalition.

Will had already died. The fight for the ownership, soul and future of Holiday World had already begin...and Bluegrass Boardwalk made it much, much worse.

Such a painful word for such a horrible situation.

It literally stings. It comes across as meaningfully hateful and mean spirited.

• Like 2

Thank you. But even then, it wasn't the Koch family that was seeking to run Bluegrass Boardwalk. It was a small subset. That effort worsened family fights, caused bitter dissension, and worsened schisms that continue to this day.

It was bad enough that Ed Hart, who did NOT know all the facts at the time, blasted the Kochs, claiming they were doing the Bluegrass Boardwalk effort to protect Holiday World, and that they knew the effort was going to fail as they never intended to succeed--he said the intent was only to let Kentucky Kingdom sit and rot longer to protect Holiday World. Nothing could have been further from the truth.

There is enough pain in the Holiday World/Koch situation without claiming a family coalition or even the Koch family tried to acquire Kentucky Kingdom.

Not true. At all.

A small subset did.

And caused a bitter fight to get far, far worse.

• Like 3

KK posted on Facebook that they are now offering an EZ Pay installment plan for season pass purchases. Passes purchased in November will cost 5 payments of $15.35. December purchases will take 4 payments of $19.19, and January purchases will take 3 payments of $25.58. These payments are inclusive of taxes, processing fee, and $4.95 EZ Pay fee, and passes will not be mailed until payment in full is received (in March). An outright purchase is $64.95 before taxes and processing fee.

https://www.kentuckykingdom.com/tickets/season-passes/

Also, the 2016 operating calendar has been published: https://www.kentuckykingdom.com/experience/hours/

• Like 6

My mom also called me to let me know that I had received my pass in the mail (I'm living in an apartment now, but I had it sent there because I was still living with my parents when I bought the pass).

I know with absolute certainty that it will be used twice at least - once on opening day (or Storm Chaser's opening day, if they do not coincide) and once on June 4th when I have tickets to see Phantom of the Opera in Louisville. Maybe a third time, depending on if I decide I want to go see Phantom again the next weekend.

I have a possibly unhealthy obsession with that particular musical...

And of course, it's very likely I'll use my pass more often than that. Having an RMC within a couple hours drive is going to have a certain allure that I doubt I'll be able to resist.

• Like 8

Well, well, well.

This is certainly interesting news.

Incoming Kentucky Governor names Executive Cabinet Secretary:

http://www.courier-journal.com/story/news/politics/2015/11/18/louisville-attorney-oversee-bevins-executive-cabinent/75998226/

...who just so happened to represent Kentucky Kingdom during its sale back in the 90's.

Yep.

Interesting.

VERY interesting.

Also an expert in debt restructuring and real estate law.

Fascinating.

Nervous yet, Messrs Hart, Glasscock and Lunsford?

Terp, who likes to ask questions, and who sees some urgency to a 2016 The New Kentucky Kingdom visit. Yes, Sirree.

• Like 9

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csDq4OZa30U

Interesting concept.

What does this have to do with KK?  I couldn't help but to notice the landscape in this concept is exactly the same as the Stormchaser intro.  (the hill especially). 

This  seems geographically appropriate to actual Louisville.

I am not predicting that this type of coaster will go into KK, but the concept video was too similiar to SC's poorly produced video,

• Like 1

I was not aware that No Limits 2 had a generic layout.  (I guess I am just used to other coasters incredible teaser animations.)

So, would it be logical to assume that the Storm Chaser teaser was produced my RMC and not KK?  I assumed that the animation was produced by KK.  I had mixed feeling about it--underpromise and overdeliver vs. simplistic creation will not bring people to the park.

It is interesting that the generic layout does actually kind of look like Louisville with the hills in the background.

• Like 1

This was just posted to the park's Facebook page about 45 minutes ago...

https://www.facebook.com/kentuckykingdom/photos/a.599973010036875.1073741827.150584424975738/1077907052243466/?type=3

To share the joy of our new coaster, Storm Chaser, we’re lowering the price of our season pass to only $59.95 for the holidays!

BUY NOW in time for gift giving! Happy Holidays from Kentucky Kingdom and Hurricane Bay.

https://www.kentuckykingdom.com/seasonpass/?src=facebook

Guests who purchased a season pass for $64.95 will receive a refund of $5.30 per pass ($5.00 plus tax) to the credit card used to purchase that pass. Look for your refund on your next credit card statement!

• Like 3

Or, they want to exceed budgets.  In most businesses, exceeding sales budgets is a good thing.  Giving $5.30 back indicates they either have adequate funding to do so, are underpromising but overdelivering, or are below budget on sales numbers.

The fact is we don't know if they missed, met or exceeded goals.

My conjecture is that they are doing well.  Several people I know bought passes for 2016 who didn't buy for 2015.  But again, I could be wrong.  I'll enjoy the park's success or mourn the failure-but be grateful for the time I've had.                                                                                                                                       

• Like 5

I was not aware that No Limits 2 had a generic layout.  (I guess I am just used to other coasters incredible teaser animations.)

So, would it be logical to assume that the Storm Chaser teaser was produced my RMC and not KK?  I assumed that the animation was produced by KK.  I had mixed feeling about it--underpromise and overdeliver vs. simplistic creation will not bring people to the park.

It is interesting that the generic layout does actually kind of look like Louisville with the hills in the background.

I'll put this another way- With the park's ineptitude at PR, do you really expect any of them would be any good at designing stuff on No Limits?

• Like 2

There are attendance targets that are required by the tax incentives (particularly as to percentage of out of state visitors--hence 2015's emphasis on marketing in Indiana and Tennessee) and, for all we know, the Bank of Kentucky agreement.

I truly doubt the park lowered the price because sales were going so well.

Especially given who runs the park. And especially now. Of all times.

• Like 3

Have they targeted out of state channels for the temporary price lowering on season passes?

To satisfy that requirement, a certain number of visitors have to be out of state, which I would think season passes would be a great way to accomplish. 

I wonder if the tax incentive for tourism is an open records request?

What about the other 75%? I have YET to see a Kentucky Kingdom sign in the northern Bluegrass, better yet to hear a word of it. If you can't focus on your in state profit, then you're fried(chicken, bock bock from beautiful Corbin KY! Look at where that started, hm?). Kentucky is a gold mine, better yet a coal mine, if you dig it with a spade you're not going to go far, but if you dig it with a pickaxe you will get riches.

As well, hear me out too to say that I WANT KY to have a park. I want to see a park that Kentuckians come to as if it were Cedar Point South. To see a tourism buzz from Kentuckian grounds, not from territories where already Banshees fly with ThunderBirds. I would scratch the other markets make a bee line for the home front and build a true Kentucky park! If you have a loyal regional fan base, then after move forward to other markets. But if you can't get someone who is in the same state, and CLOSER to Louisville than someone in Indy, then it's ludricous. Maybe I don't have that PR degree, but I do have some respect for what is a great up and coming market that I call Kentucky.

• Like 8

BB1, I agree with you, but to a point.  I was born and raised in Kentucky, but never really did take notice of the park in Louisville til I had left and would fly back here for vacations.  I never really even thought about going to the park because Kings Island has been cemented in my brain since I was born.  After moving back to Kentucky in the mid 00's, I went, when it was under the former ownership and what I found verified what I had thought.  It was so bad, I swore I would never go back.

Fast forward to this year---having a conversation at Kings Island with someone on this board, who is a subject matter expert.  He encouraged me to visit, because it may not be there in 2016.  So I did.  And I fell in love.

Kings Island will always be my home park.  But now Kentucky Kingdom has drawn me in as an alternative for a smaller park and a much closer drive.  I root for it to not only stay open but to thrive.  Several of my family and friends have not only bought gold for KI, but season passes for KK as a result of my cheerleading.  I think that's a great thing.

• Like 6