Kentucky Kingdom

The other operators are not fools.

The Mayflower anyone? Haha

If it were truly a money making opportunity, Ed Hart would not want to be risk sharing. He'd want to own the revenue stream outright, as he has with many other ventures.

I'm talking the financial side. It's what I know. And I still do not see how under the rosiest of scenarios this business plan is sustainable. There is a reason very few parks are on leased land. There is a reason parks don't want to operate on government property. There is a reason parks price the way they do, and it is sheer folly to think one can severely undercut the competition and stay in business. The other operators are not fools.

Wouldn't it cost more to "re-locate" the park? Aren't the rides on property owned by the State? Wouldn't purchasing from the state or new rides be cost a ton more than having an agreement with the state to operate? I think of Gilroy Gardens in California, isn't that family park on land that is leased from the City? While not a lot of parks do this, I don't think it is entirely bad. I think it honestly is a point of accountability. Also, the Fair Board isn't the same as it was. Have we seen the exact full business plan to determine if it is sustainable?

No.

But it is Saturday there.

Tomorrow...

And admission there is $66. Parking is $22.

There are reasons.

Comparing SFGAdv to KK is kind of silly as of now, maybe in the future, it won't be. That's like comparing Cedar Point to Holiday World.

CP: $54.99 admission, parking $15, preferred parking $25

HW: $39.95 admission, parking is free.

They play to different markets.

SFGAdv to KK, they play to different markets.

Holiday World vs. KK they play to very similar if not to the same market. Eventually when KK is up and going to just adding new additions, why not spin it toward the marketing of More for Less? That's the state this society is in, IMO. There's the whole thought of, what's the way I can get double of ____ (whatever it may be) for half the price or less? It's a sad state to be in, but marketing it toward that can draw more in. How many people when they go to get a new cell phone (if they're not dead set on getting just the upgraded version of their current phone) ask how to get the "greatest phone" for the "cheapest" rate? Eventually, it's how the public will perceive the worth.

Yeah, a lower price may allow for people to just let their kids go to the park so the park can "babysit" but it's time for people to grow backbones and help correct the problem when they see it when it comes to the kids vandalizing, causing a ruckus, etc. by calling the kids out, getting security and just taking pride in one's home park. When people start taking pride in their park, the management often times will too.

• Like 6

I think you get what you pay for.

Cedar Point offers 16 or 17 coasters and lots of rides.

Holiday world offers 3 coasters and less rides.

Kk will offer bout the same # of coasters and less rides plus rides that are sbno that will be reopening in another season or two.

Of course cp will cost the most with HW being less and kk being less.

If kk charged 60 admission and 20 $ to park no one would show up to a park that only has 50-60% of the park operating.

• Like 2

Just a random thought: could Hart be subsidizing admission and concession prices with advertising? Could he be taking Six Flags' approach by posting ads around the park? That could play a part in why he believes his business model will work.

One certainly hopes so. Even at Flags, ads contribute a relatively small part of total revenue.

Just a random thought: could Hart be subsidizing admission and concession prices with advertising? Could he be taking Six Flags' approach by posting ads around the park? That could play a part in why he believes his business model will work.

That'd be good....as long as none of the rides are actually wrapped in ads. Alright Pay Day train you are out of here enjoy your ride on Thunder Run! :P

• Like 3

I dont think anyone here wants KK to fail, but we are just being realistic. Seeing the place in person, it looks nicer than it did, but it didnt make me wish it was open to spend money there. At least not yet.

On a different more positive note. With his or others money, at least Hart is trying to get this park open. Americana/Le Sourdesville Lake, sits rotting....

• Like 2

2sb9a3p.jpg

(Photo Courtesy of The New Kentucky Kingdom)

"Last month we put up a picture of "Mile High Falls" as the ground crews were hard at work preparing the basin to be painted. Look at it now! Freshly painted/cleaned support beams, basin and splash bridge! Shouldn't be too long now until we see it up and running again."

• Like 1

FWIW, Indiana just announced the toll schedules for cars coming into KY (Louisville) from Indiana for the 2 new bridges under construction. When complete, cars will be charged $4 a trip, semis more (those with a transponder making 20+ trips a month will pay $1 per trip). something else for Ed to contemplate as he runs his numbers for the new KK.

• Like 3