Disney Underground

utilidor.jpg

13272k_tun2.jpg

Disney's worst kept secret, and the first thing discussed on many of those Travel Channel documentaries. They're called "Utilidors" and connect the park so cast members can move between themed lands without having mismatched costumes. They're only under Magic Kingdom park, and yep, the park itself is on floor two, Utilidors are on level one, only because you can't dig into Florida very much before you hit the water line!

• Like 12

By a secret way, at a classified time. I knew about this since about 2005(or earlier), old news to me and some I rarely think about, because I am way too busy having fun to think about the underground!

Disney offers behind the scenes tours... for a fee of course. Part of that tour includes going into the utilidors.

BTW, the utilidors are literally just cinderblock wall hallways. Nothing fancy. The swedish trash system actually runs through them. That is more fascinating that the utilidors themselves - all the Disney trash is literally "sucked" through pipes and dumped into trash trucks at the rear - and carted off.

Corbis-JB008208.jpg?size=67&uid=07e53ec7

Actually, the coolest part of the utilidor area is the costume dept. Its pretty darn amazing.

Shaggy

• Like 9

If you don't mind sharing, how did you get to go in them?

An IAAPA tour one year.

An invitation from a Disney exec friend another.

And a Disney Magic tour on yet another.

The IAAPA tour also included a tour of all the USF kitchens. That was perhaps the second most interesting thing I've ever done in a park (other than climbing Great American Scream Machine's lift hill and staircases during an oldtime Coaster Celebration at Great Advencha. We also got to go under the floor at Medusa and were allowed on the lifthill for Rolling Thunder).

• Like 4

I took a guided tour and we went in near the castle in a store and came out near the Haunted Mansion. If they are still giving the full tour, it's well worth the extra cost and very informative and very fun!

Edit: Darn it came in third place! Speedy fingers Shaggy and Terp beat me to the draw!!! :)

• Like 2

I've seen employee only areas in Disney when my band had to go and get ready to perform in the Electric Lights Parade over spring break. I'm not allowed to say what I saw or tell anything else about it, but it was cool seeing what most guests never get to see. If I ever get to go in the tunnels, then I'd be able to say I've seen behind the scenes/backstage Disney as well as underground Disney! That would be pretty cool.

Speaking of parades... many think that the floats are "driven" by eye down Main Street and controlled completely from within each float.

However, they are actually controlled via a sophisticated sensor and satallite system.

Seriously.

There are sensors embedded in the pavement that align the floats, spacing them properly and triggering the sound systems within. They are monitored via a control station elsewhere in the park that relays the speed and direction of the floats. There are still drivers in each float, but they simply mantain the need for a back-up for malfunctions or emergency.

Also, certain windows on the upper floors of Main Street open automatically when a parade nears to reveal hidden speakers. As the parade passes, the windows close mechanically. This too is triggered by sensor.

Shaggy

• Like 9

Wow Shaggy! That's fascinating. You certainly know your Disney! I want you on my team during the Disney World Trivia challenge!

Edit: I have a question, there was at one time (read it somewhere) a parade being planned where Tinkerbell would wave her magic wand and the floats and surrounding area (using fiber optics) walls sidewalks and other structures, were supposed to light up and change colors in waves....I haven't been down to Fl in three years...Has this parade ever happened and if so what is it called? I've seen drawings and a description somewhere.

Speaking of parades... many think that the floats are "driven" by eye down Main Street and controlled completely from within each float.

However, they are actually controlled via a sophisticated sensor and satallite system.

Seriously.

There are sensors embedded in the pavement that align the floats, spacing them properly and triggering the sound systems within. They are monitored via a control station elsewhere in the park that relays the speed and direction of the floats. There are still drivers in each float, but they simply mantain the need for a back-up for malfunctions or emergency.

Also, certain windows on the upper floors of Main Street open automatically when a parade nears to reveal hidden speakers. As the parade passes, the windows close mechanically. This too is triggered by sensor.

Shaggy

Very cool and I never knew that. I love learning all the "secrets" behind amuement parks, especially Disney.

I've got more... I love Disney "Magic!" ;-)

Did you know if a "head" character is seen by a guest with their head off, it's grounds for immediate dismissal? Did you know the Princesses are instructed to be the last one to let go when hugging a child? Did you know the Princesses must spend time in "fur" (play a costumed character) before they can portray a Princess?

Also, most of the "face" characters are under strict regulations as to what they can/cannot do even outside the park. These face characters are advised to not go to bars, or be seen in compromising places or parties. The fear is they will be recognized by a guest, thus muddying the clean image of the character.

All "face" characters are reviewed every few months. If they've changed in looks, or gained/lost significant weight - then their contract is terminated. Most "age out" by the time they are 30.

Shaggy

• Like 5

That's pretty demanding for the face characters.

There is a video on you tube during a Christmas parade where a tin soldier is marching and turns quickly but trips and falls. In the process of helping him standup, the head comes off. I felt bad for the guy, first of all falling in a costume with a huge head, but for it to fall off and expose him. It was scary, the fellow couldn't stand up, but one of the line guards helped him up but the parade kept on going.

About 90% of the "fur" characters are girls. Mickey, Donald, Minnie, Chip & Dale etc require a petite female frame. Goofy & Pluto are frequently played by males - but require a lanky build.

Here's one that always blew my mind. The original Tinkerbells that flew at Disneyland and WDW in the early years were women in their 60s & 70s. Actually, at Disneyland, the first "flying" tink was a 71 year old lady who was traned as an airealist! (sp?) Back then technology was pretty non-existent and she literally repelled down a cable and landed on a matress!

• Like 5

What is your favorite parade Shaggy?

Honestly? The parades bore me. But the Main Street Electrical Parade is still pretty special to me. Probably because I remember seeing it as a kid with my Mom and Dad.

But I will admit something... Fantasmic at Disneyland (NOT the WDW version) makes me weep. It is one of the most amazing things I've ever seen. At DL, the first time I saw the "Pan" segment, it absolutely took my breath away! I literally cried "crocodile tears" from amazement.

• Like 2

About 90% of the "fur" characters are girls. Mickey, Donald, Minnie, Chip & Dale etc require a petite female frame. Goofy & Pluto are frequently played by males - but require a lanky build.

Here's one that always blew my mind. The original Tinkerbells that flew at Disneyland and WDW in the early years were women in their 60s & 70s. Actually, at Disneyland, the first "flying" tink was a 71 year old lady who was traned as an airealist! (sp?) Back then technology was pretty non-existent and she literally repelled down a cable and landed on a matress!

A spring mattress at 20+ miles per hour had to hurt like heck!

Do you suppose they were circus performers?

Honestly? The parades bore me. But the Main Street Electrical Parade is still pretty special to me. Probably because I remember seeing it as a kid with my Mom and Dad.

But I will admit something... Fantasmic at Disneyland (NOT the WDW version) makes me weep. It is one of the most amazing things I've ever seen. At DL, the first time I saw the "Pan" segment - I literally cried from amazement. It absolutely took my breath away!

That is my favorite show! I think the whole concept is so beyond what I expected. I saw the DL version once while we were there and it is as you say simply amazing!!! We actually camped out for the first showing and stayed for the second showing after the fireworks. It was well worth it. We got ice cream from the Terrace (I think) and sat there watching people until the program....wow the fire, lights and water ......left me speechless! DWs is a close second, I have to see that one every time I go down. That and Illuminations.

But I will admit something... Fantasmic at Disneyland (NOT the WDW version) makes me weep. It is one of the most amazing things I've ever seen. At DL, the first time I saw the "Pan" segment - I literally cried from amazement. It absolutely took my breath away!

That is my favorite show! I think the whole concept is so beyond what I expected. I saw the DL version once while we were there and it is as you say simply amazing!!! We actually camped out for the first showing and stayed for the second showing after the fireworks. It was well worth it. We got ice cream from the Terrace (I think) and sat there watching people until the program....wow the fire, lights and water ,,,,,left me speechless! DWs is a close second, I have to see that one every time I go down. That and Illuminations.

The WDW version of Fantasmic cannot begin to hold a candle to the DL version. I think being in a large arena with literally THOUSANDS of people around you lessens the experience. At DL, you are literally RIGHT THERE and if you're lucky enough to be up front, you gasp at the awe of it. It's much more intimate, but much more powerful at DL.

The first time I saw it, I was with a good friend at the time (now the VP of ACE) and he had to sort of twist my arm to see it. He insisted on camping out early in front of the Pirates Plaza, and I just kept thinking we were waisting ride time! LOL Well, lets just say he got more than he bargained for because when the...

*SPOILER*

Pirate ship appears out of nowhere I literally lost it. Sobbing!!!

That scene is the most amazing part (sans Malificent dragon) and it's not even in the WDW version!

Oh, I haven't considered attending the KICentral bash. I will be at KI in a few weekends, so that may circumvent attending. Oh, and I'd hardly be the most popular. Now if Terpy went, I think he'd have to hold an autograph line. LOL!

• Like 4