Noah's Ark Theme Park

Every time this project rears its head, I sort of balk at the idea of such an overtly religious park (never mind that it's asking for public funding). But, lest we forget, before the Tree of Life, the very first proposed icon for Disney's Animal Kingdom was Noah's Ark.

iguide-animal-king-19-web.jpg

Even when that concept was replaced by a two-story carousel, the park's entry land – it's "Main Street" – was to be Genesis Gardens, modeled after the Garden of Eden in the Bible...

Neither made the final cut, but you must admit, it's a pretty smart way to begin a story about animals...

More here: http://jimhillmedia.com/editor_in_chief1/b/jim_hill/archive/2007/07/04/field-guide-to-disney-s-animal-kingdom-reveals-how-the-imagineers-created-wdw-s-wildest-park.aspx

So the four parks of Walt Disney World would've had: Cinderella Castle, Spaceship Earth, the Sorcerer's Hat (?), and Noah's Ark. Imagine those on a mug or sweatshirt together!

• Like 5

Regardless of the tired "church and state" argument that some like to recycle, I can tell you that through college I worked at the closest Best Buy to their Creation Museum and every day that I met someone that drove long and far to visit the museum. People from places like Kansas, Oklahoma, etc who would never have visited Northern Kentucky.

I visited once out of curiosity last spring and the place was packed to the gills, charging premium prices at that.

So yeah, I don't really buy into the core of what they're trying to say but regardless I'm 100% in favor. Bring on the Ark with the waterslide! That's the way Noah would have wanted it. :)

• Like 4

I don't necessarily consider this "public funding." It's not like the tax payers' dollars are being spent to build this theme park. If they are building a tourist attraction and meet the criteria for tax incentives, then they should get them. Regardless of if the theme park is religious or not, if it's drawing tourism to the area and they're eligible, then good for them.

• Like 7

• 10 months later...

Regardless of whether or not you like it, AiG is one of the tourist attractions in KY. I go to the Creation Museum almost every month in the Summer to walk the gardens and soon the Zip Lines. Yet, every time I go there, I see people buying merchandise, looking at the scenes and etc. It's a cash flow for Kentucky in all honesty, and being somewhat close to area attractions, it drives people there by proximity. For example, just a few weeks ago me and a few family members were there for a picnic, on the far side of the parking lot was a huge bus, where there were many students who came, to spend money, at the Museum. I too see plates from all over, Mississippi, Texas, Colorado, etc. Now you have this+ the Ark Encounter, you have a cash flow for tourism in the northern part of the Bible Belt. NKY is booming with industry and tourism is one that is on the rise.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I saw a similar press release/article today.  Other than the ark, what other attractions are going to open with this next season?  I am still not sure if there is enough of a draw/attraction to make this profitable.  Not to mention how will they attract repeat customers?  

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

So can their HR department still discriminate based on religion? Considering Kings Island hires 4,000 associates per season, I'd find it hard to believe that the full blown Ark Encounter project (fully matured through all of its phases) can employ and run on only people who only believe in Creationism.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

The Kentucky House, in its proposed budget yesterday, eliminated funding which would upgrade the main road that currently feeds into the Ark Encounter park.  Party politics are likely at play here and it's probable the funding will be restored in the final budget, but if this project isn't bid and let soon, I can't imagine the traffic woes when the park opens.

• Like 2