Top 10 Ways Kings Island Shook Things Up in 2014

BoddaH1994

2014 marked a landmark year for Kings Island. Several fun and interesting things happened to shake things up throughout the season. Here is my top 10 ways Kings Island shook things up in 2014

10 – Skeleton Key

img_1778_1.jpg
When Kings Island began offering an augmented experience in the Haunt mazes for an extra charge many of us quickly blew it off. The mazes were historically not bad, but not good. A solid mediocre. Why would you pay extra for an extra room or two?

Those who dared to brave the Skeleton Key experience were in for a real surprise. Not only were the mazes ramped up for the 2014 Haunt season, but the Skeleton Key experience was definitely one to write home about. People who had the Skeleton Key seemed to all have agreed to a pact that they would not spoil the secrets to those who hadn’t experienced it.

The Skeleton Key rooms grossed you out, took you out of your element, surprised you, and harped on your worst phobias – all of which are a recipe for an amazing Haunted experience.

9 – Dog Days

KI-Dog-Days.jpg

By 2014 we were used to one – and only one – dog ruling the midways of Kings Island. For the past several years, Snoopy has been unleashing his family-friendly mischief on Kings Island’s Planet Snoopy,but now he’s not alone. In 2014 we saw the debut of the inaugural Dog Days at Kings Island. Every Saturday in October featured special activities for both man and man’s best friend. I imagine that we haven’t seen the end of this super popular event

8 - Dinos After Dark

BuFNJ4SIgAAFzpC.jpg

It has always been widely accepted that Dinosaurs Alive closed at dusk and the Audio Animatronic dinosaurs simply went to bed. That was, of course, until Kings Island invited guests to check out what it would be like to see the dinos under the cloak of the night. Armed with only a flashlight, kids and adults alike traversed through the woods full of growls, suspicious movements, and eerie silence to see Dinosaurs Alive in a way that has never been done before. Those who braved Dinos After Dark got an experience that they’ll never forget.

7 – Kings Island Kicks Cancer

kings-island-kicks-cancer-logo-final-on-
After parting ways with the controversial Susan G. Komen foundation, Kings Island repackaged their August charitable event into Kings Island Kicks Cancer. Guests were invited to kick mini soccer balls into the fountain for a chance to win a car. The proceeds from this event supported the Cincinnati Dragonfly Foundation, Pink Ribbon Girls, and Melanoma Know More. A total of $186,000 was raised for these three organizations.

6 – World Records A-Plenty

Kings-Island-head-shaving-1-jpg.jpg

photo credit: wlwt.com

As part of the Kings Island Kicks Cancer campaign, three world records were set in three subsequent weeks, all of which to create awareness for their respective charities.

First, roughly 200 heads were shaved – symbolic to the hair loss that is often associated with Chemotherapy cancer treatments – to create awareness for the Dragonfly Foundation. The following week a total of 2,148 patrons participated in a record breaking attempt to host the most people apply sunscreen simultaneously to create awareness for Melanoma Know More. Finally, 1,821 people simultaneously applied lipstick to break the record for the most people to do so. This was done to create awareness for the Pink Ribbon Girls, a local organization that supports women fighting breast cancer.
Since then, all three records have been verified by the Guinness Book of World Records.

5 – The All Season Dining Plan

ki_allseasondining_ticketfeature.jpg
The one thing that is rough about being a season pass holder is the cumulative cost of food at Kings Island over a season. We’ve all spent well into the 3 figures or more on food. I don’t even like to think about it. Rumors started circulating that Kings Island would be adding an all season plan shortly before its announcement. This rumor seems to come up every few years, and the prices guessed were otherworldly. At a price of below $100, people were shocked at the good value. Good form, Kings Island. Good form.

4 – Milestone Rides

635505952146827281-Banshee-2M.jpg
The Beast – 50 million riders, The Racer – 100 million riders, Diamondback -10 million riders, Banshee – 2 million riders (in an 11th hour push). These numbers come up at times, but they sure did fall into place quite a bit for the 2014 season. News outlets all around the world reported on these milestones (good job, Don) and Kings Island became the focus of attention in countries across the globe for a brief second each time.

3 – Announcement – New Flying Scooters!!

WCPO_Woodstock_glider_1414869597978_9408
The year 2004 left a gap in both our souls and Kings Island’s ride lineup as the classic Flying Eagles were unexpectedly packed up and shipped to Carowinds. It took ten years, but at least part of that gap will be filled in 2015.

Typical Kings Island announcements come in August. August came and went and most were convinced that the park simply wouldn’t see a new ride next year. It wasn’t until the second last day of the season that both members of the media and everyday guests were invited to the Festhaus to be the first to hear what was in store for 2015.

Not only did we hear about a new set of Flying Scooters (Woodstock’s Gliders) but also another new ride called Snoopy’s Space Buggies. It didn’t stop there. International Street Candy will be completely gutted and rebranded as The Sweet Spot, the largest Starbucks in the TriState will call home to Kings Island, and more! Oh yeah, and there will be a full-season petting zoo! Half the fun of being a Kings Island fan is always looking forward to what’s next!

2 – Exit Stage Left – Ed Alonzo / Enter Cirque Imagine

cirque-imagine-12-300x200.jpg

photo credit: fansofkientertainment.com

We all loved Ed. He made it clear that, although he loved Kings Island, 2013 would be his last season there. The only information we would get from the park was that “something big” would be replacing him in 2014.

In the early spring, Kings Island announcement on their Facebook that Cirque Imagine would debut for the 2014 season in the Kings Island Theatre. No one knew what to expect: would this be our own version of Cirque du Solei or would it be a cheesy carnival sideshow?

Those lucky enough to happen to be at the park on May 23rd to attend the impromptu preview show were left speechless. It was one of those shows that you couldn’t explain to someone else; just encourage them to go see it for themselves. Cirque Imagine became a staple for the 2014 season and many of Kings Island’s most loyal guests saw it a dozen times or more.

1 – Banshee’s Debut

GOPR2274.JPG
This one’s not surprising. When Kings Island announced Banshee in August of 2013, they knew they would have a hit on their hands… and boy did they! Guests lined up for hours to be some of the first to experience the world’s longest inverted roller coaster. Banshee proved to be what everyone had hoped – a smooth, thrilling ride that easily fits into any coaster enthusiast’s top 10 lineup.

So many awesome things happened at Kings Island in 2014 that it’s hard to rank them in a manner that makes everyone happy. Do you agree with my list? Would you add or remove anything? Your thoughts and input are appreciated. We’ll see you in 2015!!

• Like 26

I would have added in the awesome Coasting For Kids raising all the money that it did for those who need a little bit of fun after illness. This year changed many lives, some we may have met, others we have not, but it all makes a big difference.

• Like 6

I think you hit the nail on the head. I agreed with everything you wrote about. The only thing I didn't do this year was dinos after dark but since I used to work on the trail I have walked it at night before anyways while cleaning up for the night. I can't wait for the 2015 season. I've been really missing ki this off season. Its been really hard. I have been constantly having dreams about the park. Here is to hoping this year's season will be just as great if not better than last year's :)

• Like 2

Cirque was awesome, but I still miss Ed. Either show is a welcome change of pace, though from the musical revues to which we had become so accustomed. And for the music lovers, both shows had a fantastic variety of tunes, too.

It's a relatively safe bet we'll be seeing more of cirque in 2015 at Kings Island. I'll be going to a lot of other Cedar Fair parks in 2015, though, and I really hope Ed is at one of the ones I go to this year. And that I don't manage to end up there on his day off...

• Like 4

Banshee, by a mile. While it's well-documented on here that I'm a huge Kings Island enthusiast, I think I've been coming to KI the last few years mostly for sightseeing and sentimental reasons. I wasn't even all that interested in Banshee, to be honest. I came to Kings Island to run the 5k in May and decided to give Banshee a try. Completely blown away. Haven't been that pumped for roller coasters since I rode Vortex for the first time in 1992 (when I was 19). Banshee seemed to almost literally turn the clock back for me. Love the location, the theme, the trains, the lift hill, all the elements, the sound, and the gift shop. They truly hit it out of the park, in my opinion.

• Like 8

Cirque was awesome, but I still miss Ed. Either show is a welcome change of pace, though from the musical revues to which we had become so accustomed. And for the music lovers, both shows had a fantastic variety of tunes, too.

It's a relatively safe bet we'll be seeing more of cirque in 2015 at Kings Island. I'll be going to a lot of other Cedar Fair parks in 2015, though, and I really hope Ed is at one of the ones I go to this year. And that I don't manage to end up there on his day off...

Both the park and the cast have been very clear that Cirque will be back next year. Welcomed news!
  • Like 5

A pretty good lineup Ryan. It's a good demonstration of how Cedar Fair is trying to bring more fun to the park by using what resources they already have. I am looking forward to what future seasons have in store!

The one question that I would like to know (which I realize I might not get an answer.) Where do the ideas come from? Example: Dynos after dark. Did an individual park come up with it? Someone at corporate? Questions like that are ones that intrigue me.

• Like 6

A great list! Has been a very full and powerful year at KI! The whole thing with Banshee and these new dark rides coming to other parks has restored my faith in having a KI with wonderful theming again!

Im turly happy with KI performance in 2014 from attractions to the Haunt even! The park stepped it's game up and I hope it continues for 2015 and on!

• Like 2

It is my understanding that many ideas come from the park level. Once they decided to roll with it other parks may jump on board if they like the idea. Often if an idea works well, they'll spread it to other parks in subsequent years.

Hmm well was FastLane a park-level idea? Since it was first introduced at Kings Island in 2011?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

It is my understanding that many ideas come from the park level. Once they decided to roll with it other parks may jump on board if they like the idea. Often if an idea works well, they'll spread it to other parks in subsequent years.

Hmm well was FastLane a park-level idea? Since it was first introduced at Kings Island in 2011?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ouimet said in an interview that he wanted to do something like that. KI was the first to run with it.
  • Like 2

Great list of events, 2014 was sure a year to remember, but I don't agree with the Dog Days event. I would have to say the park improvements in Action Zone with the re-themed ride of The Bat from Flight Deck and also with a new restaurant, The Chicken Shack, with covered seating in the Action Zone area and patio seating at Festhaus, along with interactive maps in the park. All in all great job listing events of 2014 for Kings Island! Great Job! I enjoyed it. :)

• Like 2

This year was definitely one of my favorites thanks to new experiences and the year off the previous year from any amusement parks. We spent a lot of time there this season even with our little one. I think the highlight though was media day.

• Like 2