Jeff Siebert

TTD-120-420

As long as I have been on here I have seen many posts talk about Jeff Siebert and how he was a creative genius when it came to marketing and PR. I wasn't really around here when he worked for Kings Island (1999-2005, according to his LinkedIn profile) so can anyone tell me what kind of things he did to be regarded as one of the best in the industry?

I know he is now with Six Flags and was briefly with Schlitterbahn. Has he done anything recently that resembles the kind of stuff he did at Kings Island?

I have three days off and I'm already bored; this is the result.

• Like 5

Hmm, that is interesting... The way he words the statement sounds as though he was basing the popularity of the ride off of the lines it had since he follows it up talking about Scooby Doo and the Haunted Castle's line. 2 thoughts come to mind:

1) Phantom Theater had twice the capacity as SDatHC. Every other car was removed when the ride was re-themed for the 2003 season.

2) SDatHC was only 2 years old when he left the park, so the fact that it was still was getting long lines isn't really all that surprising... and again with half the capacity.

I'm sure he knew more about the ridership, but that's just my observation based how the statement was worded... also probably the Phantom Theater fanboy in me getting a little defensive.. ;)

But I digress, interesting read, thanks for sharing! Jeff Siebert definitely did a great job while he was at (Paramount's) Kings Island. If I remember correctly, he used to post to this site occasionally as well, similar to how Don does nowadays. Kings Island's Marketing Dept. always seems to be a strong suit of theirs. One need only look at some other parks to see how lucky we are.

• Like 4

Maybe slightly? If I recall, the "speed" issue was that Phantom Theater's speed was dramatically increased during its final season, which hurt the experience tremendously.

For Scooby Doo, every other vehicle was removed to space them out and allow the scenes and targets time to reset. And now neither the scenes nor the targets work, so that was worthwhile. ;) Haha

• Like 2

The creative geniuses at Kings Island are typically the lesser known names that never show up on this site; the PR person is the "face" (and typically a hard working person; how many times have you seen Don trolling the park grounds on days, evenings, weekends, holidays, etc...).

Difference being here that Jeffrey has brought both Schlitterbahn, and more recently, SFFT to creative marketing heights - the likes of which they had never seen before.
  • Like 1

New marketing heights? Measured by what metrics? Mr. Seibert may well be a creative genius, but marketers in this business are measured by the quantifiable results they achieve. Of course, massive new capex drives attendance. Of course, coaster enthusiasts adore Mr. Seibert. But what quantifiable results does he produce?

Are Kings Island's reputation, business results, and guest perceptions poorer due to Mr. Seibert's absence? I suggest the answer is no.

It's certainly true a lot more people could name the marketing/PR guy back then. Jeff was very good at promoting THAT awareness. But the park itself to the target markets? I suggest Maureen and now Don have achieved far superior results.

Mr. Jeff Seibert handling the aftermath of the July 2006 Son of Beast incident? I can only imagine. I'm sure Maureen did that far, far better than he would have. Did Six Flags Over Texas call in Mr. Seibert after the New Texas Giant death?

• Like 4

I agree on both sides of the coin. Creative merit works as well (see 1st GoDaddy Super Bowl ad)- creative genius creates buzz; or in this case, controversy creates cash$$$

In Jeff's case, I don't know Jeff but bet he likely thinks his creative genius while at KI was peanuts; not because it was Kings Island, but because he's 10 years further in his experience.

• Like 1

I felt the need to chime in here.

First, I don't think it's warranted for any of us to debate ANY employees value or merit, question their intentions, or take "brave" keyboard jabs at how well they *might* have handled a terrible situation. We are not their supervisors, or their judges.

I feel it is warranted for me to speak of the type of man Jeff is. Jeff Siebert is, without a doubt, one of the most generous, friendly and enthusiastic persons I've ever known. His positivity is so incredibly contagious, that you cannot help but be friends with him. His "celebrity" within the enthusiast community comes not from a desire to be in the limelight, rather it comes as a side-effect. He warmly embraces those that share his love of coasters, parks and fun. In addition, he is an incredible father and husband to a terrific wife and kids.

David Mandt has a heart bigger than you can imagine. David has been in the business since he was a teen working at Carowinds. So he has a deep rooted passion for parks and the guest experience. David helped spearhead the initiative to embrace the enthusiast community at a time when many park officials were annoyed or embarrassed by them. Perhaps that is why this year he was awarded a lifetime honorary membership by ACE? He's a dear man to which many thanks are owed by coaster/park lovers. I owe him a great deal, because he was a deep friend to me at a time of transition in my life. He, as a friend, lifted me up through some common challenges we shared in our lives. For that, I'm deeply indebt.

Maureen definitely went to battle late in her tenure at KI. But let's not forget she was right there along side Jeff and David for a good portion of their ride. She is a wonderful friend with a great sense of humor and intellect! But more importantly, she's a very kind hearted, and wise lady, mother and wife. She has beautiful children of whom she loves dearly, and that love her. That speaks volumes.

Don Helbig is a great guy. I've actually known him for many years from times as an enthusiast at KI. Actually for many years, I knew *of* him but didn't approach him at KI events because I was intimidated by his incredibly impressive "track" record. As time goes on, you get to know folks, and my intimidation changed to respect and admiration. I was so excited for him when I learned he was taking the reigns of PR/Marketing for KI. I cannot think of anyone else with such a deep-rooted love for, and history with, the park. Don has what I consider a quiet, but strong presence. He has also continued the outreach to the enthusiast community and embraced us at all times, not just when needed for a shoot. Why? Because he remains an impressive enthusiast.

I could go on and on about others I know in the industry But I wanted to chime in just to say how high my opinion is of each of these specific folks. Some of my life's most cherished moments include them, and that has nothing to do with KI. Each of them, however, is to be commended on their tenure as "caretakers" of KI. Each of them did (or is doing) a commendable job in ensuring the fun and enjoyment is shared by as many fellow KI attendees as possible. Their stellar reputations with many fellow KI fans comes from a subtext that cannot be falsified... they each love and cherish KI as we do.

I'm a better person for knowing all of them.

John

• Like 13

For what its worth, I don't view anything that was said as a slight to anyone's work or "person."

My comments weren't to the person, but to the position. And my comments regarding Jeff were meant as a compliment to where he's taken his career.

Mine was a response directed to "Interpreter's" post that I viewed as an unwarranted slight to both Jeff's work and person. I'm hoping my take on his post was incorrect, or mis-interpreted. Surely he didn't purposely intend to negate him.

But let me point out that the one negative statement in my post was followed by several paragraphs of positive ones. I always want my KI posts to be read in the way I intend them, with no ill will.

And my post was directed to Ryan's comment about new marketing heights. I was asking by what metrics.

Every person brings their own unique strengths (and weaknesses) to any particular position.

The primary thrust of my post is that corporate owners judge marketers by the quantifiable results they produce. That's a fact of life. No one is questioning anyone's innate goodness, sincerity, efforts or intentions.

"Creative marketing heights" are not necessarily a plus in the business, nor are advertising or film awards. Turnstile clicks, media mentions, target market perceptions ARE.

• Like 2

And my post was directed to Ryan's comment about new marketing heights. I was asking by what metrics.

Every person brings their own unique strengths (and weaknesses) to any particular position.

The primary thrust of my post is that corporate owners judge marketers by the quantifiable results they produce. That's a fact of life. No one is questioning anyone's innate goodness, sincerity, efforts or intentions.

"Creative marketing heights" are not necessarily a plus in the business, nor are advertising or film awards. Turnstile clicks, media mentions, target market perceptions ARE.

Marketing Communications Area Manager at PKI to Director of Communications for Schlitterbahn to Marketing Director at Six Flags Fiesta Texas. I've heard he's being groomed for a GM or corporate spot at Six Flags.

You're right - it's hard to quantify how a person's creative heights equate to a financial return, but clearly many in the industry are seeing his value.

• Like 6