Can I cancel my monthly payment?

Nate859

The retail installment plan contract that I electronically signed when I renewed my pass for 2015 last fall contained an explicit clause stating that the installment plan cannot be canceled for any reason. Your installment plan contract (which I hope you saved a copy of) almost certainly says the same thing.

You're essentially asking for a preemptive "refund" on the future payments, but it's no different than someone who paid in full up front: there are no refunds for buyer's remorse, or when you discover you can't use it.

• Like 4

Season passes, once processed, are not refundable for any reason.  Doubly so if you have used it so much as once.  A voucher might have been refundable, but as you renewed online with a payment plan, that's out the window.

When you purchased your season pass and agreed to a payment plan, you entered into a contractual agreement to pay $X/mo for Y months.  That's a legally binding contract.  To my understanding, there is no cancellation provision.

If you find someone who feels sorry for you at the park, they may well take pity.  That said, I wouldn't count on it.

• Like 3

Jonathan is right. Here are relevant excerpts from the current payment plan agreement, which you digitally signed when renewing online:

By accepting below, I agree to pay the Down Payment listed below (first payment) and thereafter to pay the remaining number of payments, which will be billed pursuant to the schedule below to my credit card or PayPal account. I may prepay my outstanding balance at any time. I UNDERSTAND THAT I AM NOT PERMITTED TO CANCEL MY PAYMENT PLAN UNTIL ALL SCHEDULED PAYMENTS HAVE BEEN MADE. I UNDERSTAND THAT Cedar Fair HOLDS A SECURITY INTEREST IN MY SEASON PASS, AND THAT IF I FAIL TO PAY A SCHEDULED PAYMENT, THE ENTIRE REMAINING BALANCE WILL BE DUE AND PAYABLE IMMEDIATELY (acceleration not applicable to Virginia residents) AND MY SEASON PASS MAY BE CANCELLED. Payments will be made in accordance with my Credit Card Issuer Agreement or PayPal User Agreement. I understand that I am not permitted to contract for additional Payment Plan accounts if my balance under this contract is past due, and that any payments made by me to Cedar Fair may be used by Cedar Fair to settle past due balances under this contract before applying the payments to other sales transactions. In addition, regardless of the number of times a pass is used, there are no refunds of amounts paid on my Payment Plan account.

If a payment is late, I may be charged a late fee of 5% of the payment due.

Revocation and Suspension:  My Season Pass provides me with revocable privileges which may be changed or cancelled by Cedar Fair at any time without notice. My Season Pass may be revoked for any reason, including but not limited to, if I or anyone for whom I have purchased a Season Pass under this agreement uses a Season Pass for commercial purposes, or engages in activity which Cedar Fair, in its sole discretion, deems improper, including without limitation, fighting or rowdy behavior at Cedar Fair properties. In the event of revocation, Cedar Fair will have the right to either continue to collect all amounts due under this agreement as set forth herein, including all amounts due with respect to a revoked Season Pass, or declare the entire balance under this agreement immediately due and payable. If I or anyone for whom I have purchased a Season Pass under this agreement is suspected of violating any provision of this agreement, any of the Season Pass terms and conditions, or any other rules, regulations, or policies of Cedar Fair or Cedar Fair properties, Cedar Fair may suspend the Season Pass held by such person or persons subject to an investigation of the alleged violation. Cedar Fair will continue to collect all scheduled payments due under this agreement, including the scheduled payment due for the Season Pass that has been suspended during any such time period of suspension. Upon conclusion of the investigation and depending upon the findings of such investigation, Cedar Fair may reinstate the suspended Season Pass or immediately revoke the Season Pass. In any event, Cedar Fair will continue to collect all amounts due under this agreement as set forth herein.

Nevertheless, I recommend calling the park in case an exception is possible in your circumstance.

• Like 2

I also know, because this happened to a friend, if you fail to make a payment on your season pass, it becomes void until you have paid up to what you currently owe, and you will not be able to purchase a pass on a payment plan the following year. This was a couple seasons ago, however, and this is purely anecdotal, so take it with a grain of salt.

• Like 4

The answer is simply no. You cannot cancel your payment plan. As per your contract and sale, you agree that all sales are final. You may choose not to pay but don't expect to use this option next year. You will have to pay in full for a new pass for 2016.

• Like 1

In the name of customer service, it's rather unlikely that Cedar Fair would report these transactions to credit bureaus (or sell the debt to collection agencies that would do the same). But, yes, they certainly could.

Since payments are automatic, most delinquent accounts are probably that way by accident (eg. from an expired or replaced credit card).

Personally, I would never use the payment plan, as I like to avoid opening unnecessary lines of credit that could turn into problems down the road.

• Like 5

I work in collegiate athletics and you are exactly right malem. Nearly every time someone who is on a payment plan for their season tickets has their card declined along the way it is due to the fact that they the card expired in the middle of the plan or the person had to report their card stolen.

Sometimes we then have a hard time contacting them to correct the situation and they get cranky with us when their tickets don't arrive prior to the season.

• Like 4

I have a close friend that had platinum passes last year, she made the initial two payments and defaulted on the last two. Her passes were deactivated but she never recived collection calls. She purchased passes again this year and she did the payment plan no problem, same credit card even, the only difference being last year she bought them online at KI and this year online at Cedar Point. I dont agree with this but it does show you can get new passes, its not true that you cant.

And, for a more realistic scenario, because a modern, properly maintained vehicle with a driver paying attention to vehicle and road can relatively safely go 93 mph on a properly maintained freeway..

You can also speed through wall-to-wall traffic, tailgating and cutting in and out of traffic, cutting other drivers off, sometimes attempting to merge right into them.  You can do all this without the police ever seeming to care, despite this being significantly more reckless than one properly maintained vehicle going 93 mph on a properly maintained road, by itself.

It's not true that you can't.

Indeed, it happens way too often.  Slow down.  Back off.  Safe following distance.  Don't you want to get there alive?  Sometimes it feels like I'm the only driver on the road who does.

• Like 1

In the name of customer service, it's rather unlikely that Cedar Fair would report these transactions to credit bureaus (or sell the debt to collection agencies that would do the same). But, yes, they certainly could.

Since payments are automatic, most delinquent accounts are probably that way by accident (eg. from an expired or replaced credit card).

Personally, I would never use the payment plan, as I like to avoid opening unnecessary lines of credit that could turn into problems down the road.

A better reason for taking no action is the cost involved to chase down what amounts to $125 or so.  A collection agency routinely gets 10-20% of every successful collection it makes and I"m certain Cedar Fair doesn't want to pay lawyers to attend small claims court chasing after people for such low amounts.  

• 7 months later...