Welcome to Kings Island Central Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

What is your Son Of BEAST Expirience?

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

mccarthysnerd

mccarthysnerd

KIC Junky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts
How many times have you ridden Son of Beast? Would you ride it again?
How were those rides (Uncomfortable, Wonderful, Neck Pains, Ect.)
Or any other things you expirienced while on or around Son of Beast.

jdawg1998

jdawg1998

KIC Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,679 posts
I don't want to be rude, but what is wrong with you and Son of Beast? Was he your past lover and your mad that he left you or something? :P
  • The Interpreter, Colonel_SoB_fan, TombRaiderFTW and 3 others like this

CedarPointer

CedarPointer

KIC Superstar

• Members
  • 5,359 posts
Posted Image

UnrealNightmare

UnrealNightmare

KIC Superstar

• Members
  • 3,028 posts
I loved the ride as a whole. Only part I didn't enjoy was the bottom of the rose bowl. Other than that I loved it. I wish KI would do something, preferably what they did to Texas Giant down at SFOT but I don't see them spending that much money to do it. Btw The New Texas Giant is my favorite coaster and I've been on about 215 now.

Jamesv7

Jamesv7

KIC Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 427 posts
Ouch O sh!! Son of a B!#@ That hurt like hell. That pretty much sums it up and yes I would ride it again for some dumb reason.

DegenRider

DegenRider

KIC Star Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,288 posts
Couple thousand times between 2001-2007. i'd power ride the thing alot
Broke a vertibre on my back on it and kept riding

exscream team

exscream team

KIC Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 80 posts
i loved it because i pefer a rougher ride when it comes to wooden coasters, the rougher the better

Hank

Hank

KIC Star Member

• Members
  • 1,462 posts
A very close friend of mine hurt her back on SOB. She didn't report it and now suffers daily with pain. There is a lump on her back and I wouldn't be surprised if someday she will need surgery. F*** this ride!

AZ Kinda Guy

AZ Kinda Guy

KIC Platinum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,966 posts
Son of Beast sucks
  • Gordon Bombay and beastfan11 like this

Diamondback96

Diamondback96

KIC Platinum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,659 posts
What's Son of Beast? Never heard of it or this "crypt" thing people talk about.
  • ohiocolts likes this

ohiocolts

ohiocolts

KIC Double Platinum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,141 posts
A crypt Is a temple like thing all the KIC'ers went to down in Africa. Son of Beast? No idea.

Reality: I really enjoyed my 2 rides on Son of Beast. Except for the rose bowl, I loved the ride. Rode it once in October 2008, and again in June 2009, on the last day it operated. That would be the only thing I would like if they tore it down, riding it on the last day of operation. My friend got to ride the Crypt on the last day of operation, lucky. And he also rode SOB with me that day. I would absolutely love to ride it again, even as it is now. Does anyone know if KI could possibly just take out the rose bowl, and replace it with a little drop, heading towards the former loop spot?

The Interpreter

The Interpreter

The Interpreter

• Members
  • 48,589 posts
Yes, someone knows.

Yes, they could.

Son of Beast with no loop and no rose bowl.

My question would be why. In fact, for me that has been and is the quintessential query. Why, indeed.

KIfan73

KIfan73

• Members
  • 2,343 posts
I rode it on its opening year, and a few times after that, including post-loop. It was just a very forgettable coaster for me. It was indeed rough at some points, but I really can't remember much else about it, and I know that doesn't make sense. I actually remember my two rides on Skylab better than on my several of Son of Beast.

I actually think that one of SoB's biggest problems was its queue. The way they recycled part of Top Gun's queue just seemed so half-baked to me. If you think about it, the most enduring rides all have interesting queues, and do a great job of setting the stage for the ride.

Something about the ride's placement always just seemed a little odd, and when waiting in line, I almost felt like I wasn't at Kings Island any more. The ride just had a strange vibe for me, long before its very public "issues" started to occur.

flightoffear1996

flightoffear1996

KIC Superstar

• Members
  • 7,625 posts
I liked the ride and while it was rough and never really bothered me. The ride.to me was well short of amazing though that's for sure

Captain Picard

Captain Picard

• Members
  • 2,008 posts
I was on it a lot in the early years then it got so bad that we couldn't ride it and still don't want to ride it.

I was in line for SoB the day Top Gun hit a maintenance truck. I experienced how the park tried to hide it.

Oldiesmann

Oldiesmann

KIC Superstar

• Members
  • 3,747 posts
I don't know how many times I rode it, though I do know that I only rode it once after the loop was removed. I loved the original ride with the loop, but didn't really enjoy the "tamer" version. My most memorable experience was accepting a dare from my sister to do a back seat ride immediately after doing a front seat ride. I was a bit sore after that because I got stapled, but it was still a fun ride.

RD Reynolds

RD Reynolds

KIC Junky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts
Attempted to ride it in the early years, but was literally too tall for it. A few years later I decided to try it again...and squeezed onto it. Not sure if the cars changed, or the fact that I had lost weight somehow got me on. Whatever the case may be, I found it to seriously be the roughest ride I'd ever been on in my life. I told my wife, "Never ever let me ride that again." I literally felt like I'd been beaten with a pillowcase full of doorknobs.

The bizarre thing is I LOVE wood coasters...Beast and Racer are my fave rides at KI. B)

A.S.Coasters

A.S.Coasters

KIC Junky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
1 Ride, I loved it (except the bottom of the rose bowl).

They wouldn't have to take out the rose bowl if they gave it steel tracking, that is actually one of the things about that ride that people remember it as.

Dalefan

Dalefan

KIC Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 761 posts
I rode SOB 3 times. 2 times before it was retracked and 1 time after. SOB all 3 times hurt my back to the point where i couldn't ride anything the rest of the day. I still have back pain. But that is why we have back doctors. The pain is not as bad as it was before i seen my back doctor. I can still do normal stuff. But i won't ride SOB again. Even if it does open up with all new stuff. I feel the same way about Mean Streak at Cedar Point.

UnrealNightmare

UnrealNightmare

KIC Superstar

• Members
  • 3,028 posts
So even if they completely over haul it and make it smooth as glass like they did with Texas Giant you still wouldn't ride it?

A.S.Coasters

A.S.Coasters

KIC Junky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
Retracking would put it on my must ride list for every visit.

HTCO

HTCO

"Meow"

• Members
  • 3,383 posts

So even if they completely over haul it and make it smooth as glass like they did with Texas Giant you still wouldn't ride it?

The ride it was, was awful. It had potential but the rose bowl was unbearable. A complete retracing overhaul is something I would love to see. I'm sure everyone on these boards would agree with me when I say, it would make it one hundred times better.

windshawne

windshawne

KIC Star Member

• Members
  • 1,311 posts

Never, ever.

thunderbeast1968

thunderbeast1968

KIC Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 576 posts
Yes, overhaul the SOB with the same as Texas Giant received. Also, add the loop back, with the steel re-track.

jdawg1998

jdawg1998

KIC Superstar

• Members
  • 3,679 posts
Holiday World is retracking the spaghetti bowl on The Voyage, even though it wasn't nearly as bad as Son of Beast's rose bowl. If Holiday World can do it, I say Kings Island can do it.

shark6495

shark6495

KIC Superstar

• Members
  • 3,497 posts
what does Cedar Fair/KI management say?

Dalefan

Dalefan

KIC Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 761 posts
It was said at Coastermania last year that SOB might get the Texas Giant treatment. That was from the former CEO.

shark6495

shark6495

KIC Superstar

• Members
  • 3,497 posts
and theres the rub my friend. Former GMs, presidents, CEOs can say what they want, but the future of the company is in different hands with different goals. Does the goal include SOB? Someone knows. But I dont think they are saying just yet.

westcoaster

westcoaster

• Members
  • 2,104 posts
rode 15 or more times, loved it better with the loop, its a great ride. I Would ride it today!

windshawne

windshawne

KIC Star Member

• Members
  • 1,311 posts

Couple thousand times between 2001-2007. i'd power ride the thing alot
Broke a vertibre on my back on it and kept riding

That's foolish. May not bother you now, but it will.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users