Son of Beast roller coaster to be removed

Guest KingsIslandPR

A webcam facing the SOB construction sounds cool and I'm sure maintenance wouldn't be such an issue as far as how many people would ACTUALLY go to KI's website to see it. Like stated before, people choose to view Twitter and Facebook (not so much now). I for one don't have either of them. So a webcam would be cool for people who don't have Facebooks and Twiiters.

On the actual topic ABOUT Son of Beast's demolition, has there been anything new?

The park has great control over what is or is not released via static photos. Webcams? Not so much. Demolition is a risky, perilous activity, much more so than construction, actually. Were I a demolition contractor, the bids I made would have several price options, with additional expense to be incurred were my activities to be recorded or transmitted for the education, edification, entertainment or curiosity of those other than the client.

So I am surprised I am the first to post these.... Anyway I passed KI earlier and snapped a few quick shots. Looks like they've started tearing down the first hill after the initial drop.

034.jpg

033.jpg

Sorry about the quality and the tree in the way. I was in a hurry and figured I'd keep you guys and gals in the loop.

• Like 21

^ No one's been in the loop since 2006, silly.

In particular, I will not miss that turn. The helices were bad, but I don't think any coaster's ever thunked me back and forth like that turn did. It wasn't like jackhammering; it was much slower. It was like the train couldn't decide which rail it wanted to sit on, so it changed its mind every 0.5-1 seconds by rocking back and forth. In retrospect, the natural sway of the structure probably had something to do with that, too.

At its worst (meaning before 2011*), Mean Streak has a similar but much milder effect on the big, swooping turns.

*I'm assuming, of course, that MS hasn't returned to its old ways this season. I haven't ridden it this year, but I haven't heard much about it being horrible the way it once was.

• Like 6

Sorry for the double post.

If Im looking at this right, did they pretty much just cut SoB in half with the demolition so far? They took down that part in the brake run last week. This picture that was just posted looks like the section of track that was just demolished is lined up with the part destroyed in the brake run. So now they have the lift hill/2nd helix part of the ride on one half, and the Rose Bowl in the 2nd half.

This would make sense due to Wolf Pack still being in the station. Next they would destroy the Rose Bowl and they would only have the first half to demolish. IS that too confusing?

I never thought the day would come, I figured SOB would of got removed a lot father into it's life/hibernation. I was sad about hearing about it getting removed but demo. photo's really take a toll on me :unsure: .

Note: Be looking for a HHN trip report either next monday or tuesday! Wow is all I can say for the first weekend and will be thier either friday or saturday this coming weekend. Also enjoying high to mid 80's down here! B)

While the pics are interesting, I really don't feel right about "liking" photos of a coaster being torn down while not having any announcement of what, if anything, is taking its place.

Not having anything concrete to look forward to makes the shock of watching it come down harder.

Oh well, the only constant is change huh?

While the pics are interesting, I really don't feel right about "liking" photos of a coaster being torn down while not having any announcement of what, if anything, is taking its place.

Perhaps it is a marketing ploy?

Pics of SoB's destruction get updated, continually drawing interest from those who are wondering what is coming next.

So they keep coming back to check..... and check..... and check....... and check.....and talk...... and check.. etc.

• Like 3

Wow that is a huge section just for a days work. They must have something planned for 2014 in that area or I don't think they would be in such a rush to get it down

I doubt what, if anything happening in the future is dicating the speed at which they're demo'ing SOB. They're going to tear it down as quickly as safely possible with their current crew so as to get equipment in and back out as quickly as safely possible.

• Like 1

That's fascinating. I hope to check it out this weekend. I will be up to visit the Cincinnati Zoo, and I know that I'm taking my niece and nephew with some friends to Young's Jersey Dairy for their pick a pumpkin patch and family friendly haunted hayride. I would also like to visit Haunt, if I have the time. Sigh. I miss Ohio during this time of year. The changing of the seasons is the best.

• Like 1

Not having anything concrete to look forward to makes the shock of watching it come down harder.

Oh well, the only constant is change huh?

I heard that in class today. Coincidence? I think not.

• Like 1