2013 Trip Report, Part III (Ohio State Fair)

zombieninja

2013 Trip Report, Part III (Ohio State Fair)
August 4th, 2013
There is a unique atmosphere to the Ohio State Fair. It's busy, but not stressful. It's colorful, but not tacky to the point it's appalling. Everything looks odd by itself, but fits in when among everything else. Noise, colors, people, energy, movement, and just plain chaos is everywhere. It's a sea of everything but tranquility, yet everyone has chosen to spend their quiet Sunday afternoons here with their loved ones. This bazaar of oddness flows naturally in all directions like a large alien blob devouring the parking lot.
green.JPG
Even in this busy atmosphere you can find green space.
My first advice to anyone coming on a Sunday morning as we did is to get here early. Crowds are moderate and very manageable up until the middle of the afternoon. After that, good luck finding so much as a Port-O-John. Bringing cash of coarse is a good idea, too. Trust me, you will want to eat here. You will find an odd item you want or need. If variety is the spice of life, then I just ingested a raw ghost pepper. Everywhere you look is an ambitious food vendor trying to separate you with your hard earned cash. They do a very good job. Gyros, ribs, grilled corn, pulled pork, steak-on-a-stick, roast beef sundaes, fried Twinkies, and fried everything else litters the main stretch the whole way travelling to the midway. Not a salad in sight.
rbs.JPG
Come on. You know you want one.
Vendors are everywhere at the fair. Their tables range from As-Seen-On-TV items, to yard sale items, custom T-shirts, exotic kitchen gadgets, miracle cleaners (yeah right...), and even obscenely tacky dress wear. Many of these items are just a curiosity and flat out a rip-off. But do a little careful window-shopping, and you may find a unique item you can't find anywhere else for a decent price. If you're a person that has trouble saying "No", then you may want to steer clear of some of these areas.
Upon arriving at a surprisingly empty midway, my girlfriend and I decided to pay for the ride bracelets and venture down the strip to see what they have. There are some carnival rides here that scream "tetanus" and "death-trap", but there are plenty of other rides which are spectacular and built solid. Typically you only see rides like these at a fair, so the Ohio State Fair is the best nearby opportunity to experience them.
My first ride of the day was an interesting ride called The Vortex. It manages to achieve forces that I would normally only associate with a looping coaster in a very compact space. Immediately you will notice it is very solid, and has no give or creep. It feels like a permanently installed ride. It's almost as fun to watch as it is to ride, drawing people of all ages to photograph and take video. The restraints are comfortable and seem well-designed. In addition to four individual over-the-shoulder restraints, it has an additional metal cage that follows the contour of these restraints and locks into place over all of them. I rode The Vortex three times while I was there. I have finally found a flat ride that replaced Tomb Raider in my mind.
vortex.JPG
Does anyone else think it's strange the floors are clean on a ride like this?
If you hear the secret song, scream real loud! (Ride doesn't get intense until about 1:00)
Space Roller is a Mondial Top Scan. There are a lot of videos of Space Roller on YouTube. This ride seems to be very popular and from what I understand, runs a much more intense cycle than its permanently installed amusement park counterparts. Intense may be a bit of an understatement. Like a giant robot claw sticking out of the ground, it mercilessly tosses you around in a ruthless, relentless, and unpredictable path of chaotic lateral G-forces. If this ride had lasted for 1-1/2 minutes I would have said, "Wow! That was an intense ride! You have to try this!" But riding the same ride at full blast the whole time for 4 minutes was about 2 minutes of fun, and 2 minutes of torture. I do not think it was intended for anyone to endure such strong lateral forces for so long. I believe that with a carefully planned ride cycle this could be the king of flat rides.

space_roller.JPG

The giant at rest.

I for one welcome our new robot overlords.

Going back the other way we hit a rusty wild mouse coaster. It was fun, but very shaky. It made me miss riding the Ricochet at Kings Dominion. Then I hit the last major ride of my curiosity, the Power Surge. This ride experience is comparable to the Space Roller, but much milder and without strong lateral forces. I think the way the seats tumble help manage any forces you might experience on this one. It's an experience that's very out of control, and leaves you feeling like you're in a jet fighter spiraling around. Flight Commander, anyone?
As crowds rolled in during the mid-afternoon, I started going into shock from people-watching overload. The fair started turning from quirky and festive to pushy and overcrowded. It was time to bail out before everyone's weirdness started rubbing off on me. There is always next year, and I'll be looking forward to it.
oiiio.JPG
I hope everyone enjoyed their visit to the OIIIO State Fair!
  • Like 3

Recommend this for a great day trip for families or any age: We make a trek to the fair every year--probably for the past 10 years. Always purchase the ride bands before the fair starts at Kroger. When I went to buy them this year, was told Kroger only sold gate tickets. After a trip home to research the problem, found out on the state fair web site that ride bands were now sold by ticketmaster outlets. Concerned, there would be an additional charge that would cancel out the $3 advance sale discount, I was pleased to find out back at Kroger, that there was no additional fee. Did not buy advance gate tickets at Kroger (on sale throughout the fair), because we planned to go on a day when all tickets at the gate were $5 ($10 usual adult price). It's my policy to avoid family day to avoid big crowds for the rides--usually Monday.

We hit some of the craft exhibits--amazing what you can do with duct tape and brillo pads. We hit the big hall with all the venders. My husband spent considerable time telling the DISH sattelite folks what they need to improve on. We ate in the center of the hall, getting my annual pierogie fix. We did not hit the giant candy sellers this year (cash only inside the hall, credit card accepted at the vendor on the midway) You name any old time candy and these booths will have it--even candy cigarettes--explain these to your little ones!

We always visit the Ohio Parks area for a nice green space break--butterfly house, bald eagles, beaver, fox and other animals. My daughter's boyfriend was able to get the latest scoop on new hunting/fishing regulations in the state. Free kyacking experience for kids here also.

We shared a pretty good blooming onion from a midway booth. Got a buffalo boiled egg in the Ohio food area (Ohio Beef, Pork, Poultry, etc.) located in a round building (sorry I don't have the specific names). Did not try the maple bacon ice cream since I don't eat pork. VIsited the butter cow and this year's butter Ohio State Choir/founder tribute.

Every year I buy 2-3 large ($10) bags of kettle corn from the booth just before the North gate. Best kettle corn I've had--lasts 3-4 days at our house. They also have two booths at the annual Beavercreek (Ohio) Popcorn Festival the 1st weekend after Labor Day. So every year I get my kettle corn and say "see you in Beavercreek." Corny--I know.

My husband purchased a very nice wallet at one of the leather vendors. Also got a nice coin purse/key case this year.

Daughter, her boyfriend, his sister and a granddaughter rode the rides. I bought tickets for the final ride--the giant ferris wheel and rode it as the fireworks went off along with a light rain shower. Did not get our "fried cheese" as we left this year--I love the pepper jack variety. Too tired and my daughter had to be at work at McD's back in Dayton at 5 a.m.

Tip: I save our lemon shake-up cups and bring them back to take advantage of the refill price without buying new cups. Nice, since I've had to invest in a new set of refill cups at K.I. LIke the original trip report posted above, we enjoy some of the flat rides that you don't see often. We also like to ride the ones they have at Cedar Point.

Looking forward to our return trip next year.

Weather was newsworthy this year--the temps the day we went were low eightys with some threatening skies that never really let loose with rain. Heard the vendors were very busy this year since weather was milder. one of the Schmitz (sp?) vendors (German Village Restaurant--cream puffs, etc) was heard on 610 WTBN news to be lamenting that he would not lose his usual 10 lbs sweating over grills minus the heat this year. They broke the attendance record on Sunday, 7/28, attributed to the cooler climate.

Dayton-Xenia Road between Fairfield Road and Meadowbridge Dr (Friendlys to McDonalds). Food vendors are supposed to sell something with popped popcorn in it (Jaycees used to sell hamburgers with popcorn mixed in--actually tasted pretty good (because they used fresh hamburger). The usual craft vendors, etc. I think they have a 5K, car show, entertainment stage and a kiddee game/bounce area. Always the weekend after Labor Day (Saturday & Sunday). Kettel corn vendors expanded to two booths last two years and always have about a dozen or more people in line.. They also sell homemade root beer, sarsparilla, etc.

• Like 1