A Close Encounter With Don

fanofFirehawk

This report has major lack of pictures due to a lack of Camera. But I hope you will forgive me.

We parked in Invertigo as always, on our way to the entrance we picked up two more Platinum Passes for my Brother and my Mother. Then hopping in line to go through the turnstiles. When we finally got in we rushed towards Diamondback. On the way I cut under Graeter's and guess who I saw.

Yup, none other than Don Helbig, I stood there, frozen for a second, my mind raced. He then began to walk and I continued toward Diamondback walking neck and neck with him. He then slipped through the gate in between the two buildings. I guess it was a starstruck kind of moment I guess "Hello Don, I'm fanofFirehawk" might have been sufficient. But maybe next time.

But after that great encounter with the Kings Island PR, I got two rides on Diamondback phenomenal.

After that we met up with my Brother and my Mother who had been hanging out in Planet Snoopy. Today was going to be a Jake day. So first off I got a ride with my brother on WoodStock Express he put his hands up and screamed. He then got a ride with my Mom. Afterwards, my mom wasn't feeling to well so she went to go rest in the Infirmary. So mean while my Dad, Jake, and I got nice ride in the front seat of Flying Ace Ariel Chase. Once we got off of that we headed for Race for your Life Charlie Brown. My dad and I got soaked on the drop and my brother laughed and laughed but then we pulled around the final corner and there is Snoopy and sprays him so much. We got off afterwards and went to play a game, as always I was defeated by a 6 year old. I then suggested Jake try Backlot for the first time, he was reluctant but after some Blue Ice Cream bribing he finally worked the nerve up and we got inline. My dad and I pointed out all of the elements and described what the launch would be like and the helix he was constantly like "I'm not going to like it" "this is going to be the worst". He sat in the front seat so he could see everything that was happening. During the ride my dad kept him up to date with what was going to happen, on the drops and the Helix he laughed and laughed. But when my dad would look at him he would immediately suppress him emotions. When came back into the station and the ride attendant asked "red train, how was your ride" and then "come on, how was your ride" and he reluctantly put his hands in the air like just didn't care, and did a little muffled whooaah. I asked how he liked it and he would ignore me. He then asked if we could ride Flight Deck, one of his favorite rides, but also it was relatively intense for him, so I new from there he wouldn't have wanted to do it if he didn't like it. So after a few more times asking and such, he finally gave in and admitted he did enjoy it and later in the day he a said he liked it better than Flight Deck. After that we did another game and then met up with my mom again and rode the train which brings me to some thing really ticked me off.

The train was packed they couldn't let everyone on the plat form and people didn't have the common courtesy to move in. I mean we had like seven people squeezed into one row. And some people would sit right on the end so no one could sit there I mean one person relaxing with there legs stretched out on one of the huge seats while I was cramped between my mother and some stranger, and I was totally fine. I always try to make life easier for the rides ops and everyone, to make it faster for everyone, such as when I sit alone i pull down the restraint next to me and when I get off I lift it up on my way out. I try and make sure there are no empty seats.

But aside from that they got off at Soak City and when not that many people got on and they closed the gate my family got in the seat behind us and gave the other group people some room. Afterwards we headed to the exit and headed home.

Spending the entire day with brother isn't something I typically have done, but watching my brother scream and giggle and put his hands up on those rides, is a memory I will never let go.

• Like 15

Good TR! Thanks for sharing.

I know how you feel about trying to spontaneously walk up and talk to someone. I've never met Don personally, but he seems like a very friendly guy. Next time, don't worry about what you're going to say; just say something. Speaking from experience, it's getting the gumption up that's the hard part. Once you're past that, your natural conversational habits will probably kick in, and you'll be fine.

Of course, this is coming from the guy who saw a former Amazing Race contestant at the Columbus Zoo yesterday evening and was too surprised to say anything, so... :P

• Like 3

I once had a close encounter with Ouimet and Scheld at the same time. Not kidding.

In Mid-July, when I was taking pictures of the Banshee construction site, I turned and saw them walking through the midway towards my general direction.

When they walked by me, Ouimet(wearing a Gatekeeper hat) looked inside the fence where the scarecrow is, pretended to be "startled", and said something to me along the lines of:

"Whataya think they're doing back there?"

I just responded with something like, "Oh, I'm not sure ."

• Like 3

Then hopping in line to go through the turnstiles. When we finally got in we rushed towards Diamondback. On the way I cut under Graeter's and guess who I saw.

Yup, none other than Don Helbig, I stood there, frozen for a second, my mind raced. He then began to walk and I continued toward Diamondback walking neck and neck with him. He then slipped through the gate in between the two buildings.

I was walking directly behind you, then. Don was just ahead of me when he walked behind the building facing International Street.

By the way, when I read the title of this thread, I pictured someone nearly colliding with Don on the midway.

Then hopping in line to go through the turnstiles. When we finally got in we rushed towards Diamondback. On the way I cut under Graeter's and guess who I saw.

Yup, none other than Don Helbig, I stood there, frozen for a second, my mind raced. He then began to walk and I continued toward Diamondback walking neck and neck with him. He then slipped through the gate in between the two buildings.

I was walking directly behind you, then. Don was just ahead of me when he walked behind the building facing International Street.

By the way, when I read the title of this thread, I pictured someone nearly colliding with Don on the midway.

This is what I pictured while reading this thread :lol:

Close Encounters of the Third Kind--Amusement Park PR & CEO

• Like 1

I'll never forget in 2011 I made a trip down to KI the first week of daily ops. I was with my gf, and right after walking through the turnstiles, I ran into Don. We actually struck up a conversation when he saw my coaster tattoo, saying he hasn't many of those. When my gf and I walked away, she asked me who that bald guy was I was talking to. :lol:

Sent From My HTC Evo 3d Using Tapatalk 4 Beta

• Like 1

If you ate a $1 hot dog from Tower Drinks today, there's a good chance that Don grilled it for you! (He was manning the grill for a good portion of the day.)

Is staffing really that bad? I sent two emails nine months ago asking about internships, and over the past three weeks I have received countless emails from KI basically pleading for anyone to help.

• Like 1

I kind of nearly did, by the way, did you see me?

I was the cool kid with the red polo shirt and cargo shorts.

• Like 2

disclaimer alert: I've never met Don personally. I've brushed past him while at the park and know through the channels that he is very approachable and one of the hardest working people presenting the face of the park. Though I have no proof of it personally, he probably puts in more hours than most know.

That being said, if you were able to meet the people behind the decisions Don presents, say one of several "Matt's" or a Marissa... then you have your intimidation :huh:

• Like 1

Great report, fanofFirehawk!

I've stopped and chatted with Don a couple of times. I know he's busy, so I try to keep the conversation short, but he seems like a real nice guy. On Banshee Announcement day, I was more nervous meeting Boddah1994 and Gordon Bombay for the first time than I was of shaking hands with Don (lol)...

• Like 3

I spoke to Don earlier this season after running the Pink 5K on opening day. I shook his hand and told him that I was a member of KIC and that I enjoyed the run. He was pretty cool. Only question I had for him on the spot was how hard was it going to be to clean up all of the color thrown all over the park that morning. He replied that it would come out pretty quick with a spray of the ol' water hose.

This was before I knew that there was construction going on over in Action Zone, so I couldn't try to get a genuine generic PR answer out of him about that. :D

• Like 3

Your experience reminds of an experience I had earlier this summer. My friend and brother decided to ride together on Diamondback, leaving me alone in the row behind them. Right as I sat down I looked to my left to see another man who would be sitting with me in the back row. I thought, "hmm, he looks like that one guy...no, he IS that one guy." As we went up the lift and through the course, instead of enjoying the ride myself, I spent the time watching what his reaction is to a ride on Diamondback. As we approached the brake run I was trying to think of what to say to him. I had always imagined meeting him and there were so many questions I wanted to ask. Unfortunately, all I could manage was, "Are you Gary Coleman?" He replied, "Yes", and all I could manage was a cheesy, "I'm jealous of all your rides" or something like that. The train pulled into the station, the restraints opened, and we went on our separate ways.

I'm so mad I couldn't bring myself to ask more, but there is nothing I can do about it. Maybe I'll see him again someday. But until then, this moment will remain as one of my favorite KI memories.

• Like 2

I just remembered something, where are you having a lively discussion about Kings Island insert in dysfunctional ride while waiting to go through the turnstiles because if so I believe I listened in on your conversation. What shirt are you wearing and did you talk to anyone like in line to get in front of the gate.

• 2 weeks later...

I've had alot of time talking with Don, hes a pretty cool guy...only thing that sucks is he will be Mr. PR at times..."building for the future, no announcement date, blah blah" lol

Kinda irritating but it goes with the job haha

I swear that dude is way cooler outside of the park. :-)

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

• Like 6