Pre-Opening day Photos and Report

Gordon Bombay

Well, I'm sorry this took so long to get up, you can thank Ohio University's lightning fast internet connection! (Sarcasm). Today I had the privelage to join Boddah1994 and the park's Marketing Director; Don Helbig on a sneak preview of the park. Since I was a little late to the punch with uploading my photos, I decided to present these in "Trip Report" style form.

I started the day by driving from school back home to Cincy. Had some lunch with my friends, went home to grab some things and see my sisters, then met Boddah1994 and Mr. Helbig at the park.

Now, I will admit, I have been skeptical of how Cedar Fair would manage and run Kings Island, but after today's visit, I think we are really in for one of the best seasons yet and that they have done A LOT for the park. You'll see why:

April18thKI_001.jpg

-Many people were hard at work making sure the park looked good for its first days. Notice anything knew about Guest Relations? Well, last year you may remember the sliding windows that reflected a Mcdonald's drive thru, this year however, you will have...

April18thKI_002.jpg

-A brand new guest relations office!

Then, after stopping by guest relations we walked out into the main park to be greeted by a familiar site with a slight change:

April18thKI_003.jpg

-The new Cedar Fair Kings Island logo.

After that, it was time for a stop by the Festhaus to see the new set for the all new show: "The County Line"

April18thKI_005.jpg

-It's going to be good to see a lot more entertainment this year especially in the festhaus which has had a lot of its interior repainted and touched up, looking great.

Next, Don was kind enough to give us a tour around Action Zone, this are which formerly had the most Paramount themed rides has undergone the biggest name changes. Personally, I thought names that seemed bland and generic when announced, seem to be ok with the new logos and the signs look great, no remnants of the old signs at all.

April18thKI_006.jpg

-Invertigo with its new sign.

April18thKI_007.jpg

-The new Flight Deck sign with new Cedar Fair Coke machines. Many people had been wondering about the grafitti on the club blood building, as you can see it has been covered up by a wooden fence.

Next we popped by Oktoberfest where Bubba Gump's used to be, only to find...

April18thKI_008.jpg

-Outer Hank's! I think they did a good job with the new logo. To be honest, seeing photos from the other former Paramount Park's I wasn't expecting much, but at this point had been very impressed. All the new ride logos and signs looked great and there is new landscaping ALL OVER the park.

As we made our way down Coney Mall, Mr. Helbig reminded us that in addition to the six shows this year, Kings Island will also have twice the number of trash cans in 2008:

April18thKI_009.jpg

Now, onto probably the most controversial topic regarding opening day. The decision to turn The Racer around. Now, regardless of your feelings on the issue, I think you'll find they did a nice job of really giving a "classic" feel to the ride, and really touched up the paint and stations of The Racer.

April18thKI_010.jpg

-Note the new Blue Racer, Red Racer signs.

There was some discussion and debate about the new Racer logo's. Me, like others, thought they looked a little bland, after seeing them up close I think it actually looks quite nice. The chevron's on the decal are a nice throwback to the the old original logos:

April18thKI_013.jpg

-Red Racer.

April18thKI_012.jpg

-Blue Racer.

April18thKI_011.jpg

-You can also see the repainted signs at the top of the lifts. The fresh paint and "new version" of The Racer, as well as all the track work done should provide a great ride this year. They have done a ton of track work, I look forward to reading your guys reviews from opening day.

Making our way down Coney Mall, a thought occurred to us: "Ever wanted to play just one more round of ring toss, you were so close to winning, yet out of cash?" Well don't worry about that anymore:

April18thKI_015.jpg

-Some games now take credit cards! I still prefer Air Hockey in the arcade though.

This food stand received a fresh coat of paint and a new name:

April18thKI_014.jpg

-I was kind of sad to see the old name go, which was "Antique treats" (named after the Antique cars which used to be right next to it and were replaced by Backlot Stunt Coaster in 2005).

Rounding the corner to Rivertown:

April18thKI_016.jpg

-While the name seemed silly when announced, the sign and "theme" obviously work well.

April18thKI_025.jpg

-Just like it's clones, Backlot Stunt Coaster got it's new billboards. Did anybody spot the new "retro" trash cans that can be found at the back end of Coney Mall? I like them, the red and white "70's" look is nice.

Making your way towards The Beast this year you may notice it's "new" entrance, yes that ugly black chain link "walk on weekends" fence is GONE:

April18thKI_017.jpg

What about other Rivertown rides? Well Crypt has a nice, fresh, new look to it:

April18thKI_021.jpg

-If the outside facelift was this good, I wonder what the inside will hold...

If you're reading and not just browsing the pictures you're probably thinking "Gordon, thats great and all but what about the mystery around swan lake?" Well, that was our next stop:

April18thKI_018.jpg

April18thKI_019.jpg

April18thKI_020.jpg

-Related?

When we asked Mr. Helbig what the construction was for he gave us this quote:

"The park has not shed any specific details but early indications are that this future attraction will be nothing but spectacular! Our guests can watch it being built right before their eyes every time they visit the park this summer."

Good news is, unlike the construction of Maverick at CP last summer, or TRTR at PKI in 2002, this construction will not be sealed off by a high privacy fence, allowing guests to look in all season long. My personal speculation as to what it is: "Paddle Boats"

We proceeded to walk by Antique Photo in Rivertown:

April18thKI_027.jpg

-Notice anything new?

April18thKI_028.jpg

-Wings buffet is back for 2008.

Some more views of the mysterious construction:

April18thKI_023.jpg

April18thKI_024.jpg

April18thKI_026.jpg

After getting the last few glimpses of the park we headed on out. Like I said, I had been skeptical of Cedar Fair and how the park would be this season. After today, I am very glad that I have a pass, the park looks awesome! The landscaping is great, lots of fresh paint everywhere. The park has looked better than it has in years. While some opinions of the new owners are still up in the air, I think they are definitely off to a good start:

April18thKI_029.jpg

Special thanks to Mr. Helbig for having us today so that we could bring you an awesome update!

-Gordon

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest kwindshawne

Racer looks like it did in the 70's :) I kinda miss the lake, but the last few years it had looked gunky anyway. Looking much better than last year!!

Say what you will about Cedar Fair, but after seeing photos on KICentral and the news stories the past couple of days, the park looks better than it's looked in several years....I'm really excited about this season- the park looks great and I'm looking forward to watching the construction site...No matter your opinion on The Racer - which I didn't really mind because I the recaR always caused pain in my lower back - Cedar Fair is making some really good changes with the park...

You are not. People aren't supposed to run in parks. Falls are the major cause of guest injuries in parks. By far, the most of them occur on midways.

I've always been more than a little surprised that I have seldom seen otherwise highly safety conscious Cedar Fair stop guests from running, especially at opening when the ropes are dropped.

You are not. People aren't supposed to run in parks. Falls are the major cause of guest injuries in parks. By far, the most of them occur on midways.

I've always been more than a little surprised that I have seldom seen otherwise highly safety conscious Cedar Fair stop guests from running, especially at opening when the ropes are dropped.

Geeze,I was just joking.I dont even know if im going to The Beast first I might go to Firehawk!

You may have been joking, but the Running of the Bulls that occurs at Cedar Fair parks at opening really is an issue that they need to address. It's just a matter of time until someone or several someones is/are seriously injured...in an entirely preventable situation. Not to mention the running is highly annoying to the other guests. Some of us have almost been knocked over by those charging enthusiastic would-be riders.

You may have been joking, but the Running of the Bulls that occurs at Cedar Fair parks at opening really is an issue that they need to address. It's just a matter of time until someone or several someones is/are seriously injured...in an entirely preventable situation. Not to mention the running is highly annoying to the other guests. Some of us have almost been knocked over by those charging enthusiastic would-be riders.

I've always though that this is a sign that they need to open up earlier, even if it was an up-charge.

Also curious about the Crypt's status. I remember Ryan mentioning its status was questionable the other day. Any updates on that?

Oh, and Donnie...

Lt. Dan's? What's that? I think you mean Outer Hanks Bar B) : If I was 21 (darn November birthday), I'd buy ya a beer in memory of your good friend Lt. Dan. Maybe a root beer? lol

You say special thanks to Don.... I say special thanks to you, Sir.

Ronny, your photos are simply amazing.

Not just the subject of the photos, but I've seen over time your skill and ability continue to improve.

You do such an amazing job capturing feelings and settings of the things you are photographing.

Good Job.

The Crypt's new facade has piqued my interest. I'm both impressed and worried at the same time: Impressed that KI took the time (and more importantly, money) to create a new facade and sign; worried that this minor removal of symbols may indicate the removal of much larger items from within the tomb. If licensing issues required the removal of these symbols, I imagine the various statues in the antechamber and pre-show room will have been removed as well. I'm still skeptical that CF would be willing to spend the money to produce thematic elements on par with the originals. I think it is apparent that there will be replacements for the removed themeing, but of what quality, I'm not sure. Rumors that old Fear Fest scenery may be used is particularly troubling.

I hope to be pleasantly surprised when I visit the park, but I won't hold my breath.

This is just a total Guess on my part and taking in consideration of the catch phrases “nostalgic, something old becomes new again”.

I am starting to think they are getting parts and artifacts from old rides and attractions that have been removed and put them in the ride “The Crypt”. That would make sense for the new name, I guess well find out soon.

If licensing issues required the removal of these symbols, I imagine the various statues in the antechamber and pre-show room will have been removed as well. I'm still skeptical that CF would be willing to spend the money to produce thematic elements on par with the originals. I think it is apparent that there will be replacements for the removed themeing, but of what quality, I'm not sure. Rumors that old Fear Fest scenery may be used is particularly troubling.

I would be surprised to see the pre-show video and the rising movie screen ever again. If done right, I see nothing wrong wtih using old scenery that may just be collecting dust in storage...if done right.

But how about that Drop Tower sign? (Gags.) I suppose that for as many signs as they redid, one that looks really tacky isn't too bad.

I've said this before...those small footings are making me nervous...

Last summer i was at CP, the ropes dropped or gate opened (i forget what they do) for the hotel guest (get in 1 houyr early) and everyone ran! Most to Maverick, but others to Millenium Force and Raptor.

I think KI is like a good classic car. Its got plenty of horsepower, just needs a few odds and ends taken care of, and its gonna be a real stunner :)

I think CF's doing a good job with the odds and ends. Now, hopefully, this "mystery project" will add a nice horsepower boost. :D

I would be surprised to see the pre-show video and the rising movie screen ever again. If done right, I see nothing wrong wtih using old scenery that may just be collecting dust in storage...if done right.

But how about that Drop Tower sign? (Gags.) I suppose that for as many signs as they redid, one that looks really tacky isn't too bad.

Old scenery just doesn't do it for me. Given the confining space in which most of the Fear Fest themeing is found, I think it would look horribly out of place in the antechamber. I can do without the movie screen, but since CF did prepare a nice video for Maverick, we know that they are capable. The music though...I don't think I'll be able to ride it again if they've butchered the soundtrack.

My mouth literally fell open when I saw the Drop Tower sign from Great America. I was hoping KI wouldn't get the same treatment, but it looks like we're stuck with it too. I have to admit, though, Drop Tower aside, everything else looks really good. The row of trash cans along Coney Mall is actually comical.

I'm hoping the small footers are an indication of a Maverick-like station. They could very easily reproduce the station, refill Swan Lake, and I think the area would be very nice with its new addition. But you're right...its all about doing things well.

Thanks to everyone for the teaser photos! I will not be able to make it to the park for a few weeks so these are great. It sounds odd, but the thing that impresses me the most is the new Guest Relations office...I always thought that the old one was a terrible way to conduct business.

One question...and I think I know the answer, are all of the Forrest Gump photos gone in "Outer Hanks"?

Did you miss the pic of the really big footer on the midway?

:blink:

Yeah, I caught that a little bit after that post. Looks like 8 threaded rods sticking out...a good indicator of the size of the pylon that bolts to it...which would be large by comparison to other B&M footings.