The Magic of Disneyland Through a Child's Eyes...

RailRider

Disneyland is often credited as being the Happiest Place on Earth. After experiencing the magic and living it through my daughters eyes, I must agree with the earlier assesment. Please join me for these next few minutes and share the magic and memories that we created as a family and a little girls true joy of meeting her favorite characters and princesses.

I borrow the word magic from a member of this site, Avatar. I never truly understood why he refered to Disney with such awe and revrence. Now I understand what the magic creates for his daughter. Now it is crystal clear, Jesse thank you for your passion and your many tips regarding visting. I used many of your tips for the Magic Kingdom in planning our Disneyland trip and they worked quite well.

I have visited Walt Disney World on numerous occassions, but never truly experienced it. I have never visited Disneyland, I have only experienced it. I was fortunate enough to share this with my wife and my daughter, who was in total joy and awe the entire day. For those that don't realize Disneyland is the granddady of all theme parks, the first tubular steel coaster The Matterhorn, the first Disney park and is the blueprint they followed with Magic Kingdom, and truly a place where dreams do come true.

I have pondered where to begin with this trip report and have spent some time just reliving the trip in my head. I have decided to break the report in to different sections. An introduction to the start of our trip and our resort in New Port Beach, our experience at Disneyland, the surprise of Disney's California Adventure, and a conclusion of the trip. I took well over 500 pictures from this trip, but I will only share a fraction. I honestly hope that you sit back and enjoy the experience and maybe sense some of the Magic we experienced. I will release a new section of the trip report throughout the day or days to follow. Please enjoy and I look forward to your comments and questions.

First let me share the plan. I created a schedule to experience Disneyland and Disney's California Adventure in one day. Yes one day is the plan because we only had 4 days in California. This schedule used numerous tip I have learned from both Avatar and sites he has directed me to. Because of it being a down time of year and with the use of the schedule we were able to stay typically 2 hours ahead of schedule throughout the day, experience more than what I though we could and in the end we spend over 15 hours at both parks and saw, road, and experienced everything we planned and more. Disney in one day is possible and still magical beyond belief. Sit back and enjoy...

The Arrival:

So how did we end up in California for only a few short days? Simple, my wife was assigned a business trip for 2 weeks and during the middle of that time our daughter Zoe and I were going to fly out to be with her and visit California for the first time. While there we planned on doing a trip to Disney and I started planning immediately. Developing a plan of attack for both parks, if you would like to see the schedule PM me and I can send it your way. My wife was staying in a swank 2 bedroom villa in Newport Beach that we paid $0. Very nice and upscale.

What a view we had of the Ocean from the cliffs of Southern California

DSC_0407.JPG

The Resort was the Marriott Vacation Club Newport Coast Villas and it was massive.

DSC_0426.JPG

One of the numerous pools on site, the lack of crowd is a sign of things to come.

DSC_0422.JPG

Swimming in late January? Awesome...

DSC_0412.JPG

The Sunset the first evening at Newport Beach was amazing.

DSC_0023.JPG

The sun looked to be a giant ball of fire slowly extenguishing in the Pacific Ocean. Stunning.

DSC_0002.JPG

The Magic begins shortly...

The Magic Begins.

We planned our trip to Disneyland with the intention of visiting both Disneyland and Disney's California Adventure in the same day and making sure to do some of the can't miss attractions. I will talk about those as I go. Disneyland is the vision and dream of Walt Disney and it truly is an amazing place. The overall atmosphere is very similar to the Magic Kingdom, but there is something different in the park that I can't quite put my finger on.

We arrived to the park early because we had breakfast with Minnie and Friends at the Plaza Inn at 7:00am. We entered the park and were the only guests walking down Main Street. The only people in sight were cast members. To be in Walt's park alone with just my family left me speechless. The Plaza Inn is located at the end of Main Street near Sleeping Beauty's castle. As we arrived at the Plaza Inn we were greeted by some very friendly cast members, Zoe received her first timers badge and her Breakfast with Minnie and Friends badge, and we stepped inside and the Magic came to life.

Zoe was immediately greeted with a huge hug from Minnie.

DSC_0080.JPG

DSC_0082.JPG

We quickly discovered we were the only family at the character breakfast and Zoe had them all to herself...

DSC_0093.JPG

Lots of Dancing.

DSC_0097.JPG

Hugs all around.

DSC_0098.JPG

Pure Joy and Excitement

DSC_0101.JPG

Words cannot do justice to this moment, and the experience we had.

DSC_0102.JPG

Did I mention hugs?

DSC_0104.JPG

Hugs for everyone.

DSC_0105.JPG

DSC_0111.JPG

Chip and Dale were amazing with Zoe and she loved them.

DSC_0118.JPG

Postcard, maybe?

DSC_0121.JPG

Magic... I now know the meaning.

DSC_0124.JPG

DSC_0134.JPG

I think Zoe's Fairygodmother was with her all day.

DSC_0138.JPG

The most Magical Breakfast any child could ever have...

DSC_0140.JPG

DSC_0142.JPG

Pooh gave Zoe a small container of Honey.

DSC_0143.JPG

Tigger passed the Ketchup...

DSC_0144.JPG

Not the biggest fan of Captain Hook, but we got a picture on the way out.

DSC_0146.JPG

A picture in front of Sleeping Beauty's castle after breakfast.

DSC_0155.JPG

The morning was Magical and more than one tear was shed by my wife and I. The park is open and I thought a picture in front of Sleeping Beauty's castle was appropriate. What a day we have ahead of us and I am not sure if it can get much better. At this moment I had a brief moment to think about what Jesse(Avatar) has told me about the magic of Disney and I truly understood the meaning finaly. Wow what a first hour in the park and we just got started.

More excitement and Flying Elephants to come shortly...

DSC_0097.JPG

Pure Joy and Excitement

DSC_0101.JPG

Hugs for everyone.

DSC_0105.JPG

Postcard, maybe?

DSC_0121.JPG

DSC_0155.JPG

1. Is he eating her hand? laugh.gif

2. She looks so happy!

3. Wife? I see the resemblance between her and your daughter.

4. Yes, postcard shot.

5. Incredible to see it so empty.

Also, what was the weather like when you were down there? The veiw from the vila looks spectacular! And why no pictures of you with the characters?

A Flying Elephant and a Song That Will Stay in Your Head...

From the moment we watched the Disneyland planning DVD, Zoe continualy said she wanted to ride Dumbo. Matter of fact getting on the airplane at CVG she kept asking if we were going to go ride Dumbo. I assured her we were. Funny story, going through security at LAX for our return trip home, a lady behind us in line asked Zoe if she got to ride Dumbo. She was on the flight out to LA from Cincy earlier in the week.

You may be able to ride similar rides at other parks, but their is only one Dumbo.

DSC_0162.JPG

First ride of the day.

DSC_0166.JPG

Then on to the other Disney classic.

DSC_0171.JPG

DSC_0205.JPG

I still catch myself singing this song in the car and at work.

DSC_0180.JPG

Its a small world afterall... Everybody sing along with me.

DSC_0181.JPG

I see you Mr. Snow covered mountain.

DSC_0178.JPG

The Matterhorn was the first major coaster Zoe ever rode. How appropriate that was. Also the Matterhorn is quite the fun coaster, the Yeti is awesome and Zoe road almost the entire ride with her hands up like her Daddy. Amazing how some things make you so proud.

DSC_0211.JPG

Off the mountain and having ridden every ride in Fantasyland except for the Storybook Canal Boats in about an hour and a half we headed to Toontown. Lets count our ride total. 1. Dumbo, 2. Mad Tea Party, 3. Alice in Wonderland, 4. its a small world, 5. Pinocchio's Daring Journey, 6. Snow Whites Scary Adventures, 7. Peter Pan's Flight, 8. The Matterhorn

Truly felt that our Fairygodmother was with us because the day was shaping up perfectly.

DSC_0209.JPG

Welcome to Toontown, where is everyone at?

DSC_0213.JPG

We strolled through Toontown, took in some attractions, did some shopping and really just soaked it all in. Time to go see Mickey.

DSC_0221.JPG

DSC_0224.JPG

At this point in the morning we had experienced so much and Zoe was needing a good rest. While she naped in her stroller we walked through Frontierland and gave Big Thunder Mountain a spin and headed out of Disneyland and on to Disney's California Adventure. We were making it to DCA about 2 hours ahead of schedule, so we could just relax and take in the atmosphere of a truly unique park and some of the cant miss attractions. I really love how you can leave the gates of Disneyland, cross the entrance plaza and enter California Adventure. Quite convienent.

Magic Carpets, Tow Matters, and Princesses ahead...

Lovin the PTR! Thanks for sharing as it brings forward great memories of magical experiences and proud moments I've had with my boys at Disney.

Although I have to admit, I don't envy you explaining to Zoe that the next time you go to a character breakfast she won't get such a "personalized" experience.

Terpy, don't worry the updates will be going on till tomorrow so you can pick up where you left off.

I would agree I enjoyed the California version much more than the Florida. Not sure why. Then again I enjoyed the California parks much more than the Florida parks, but that I know why.

Thanks again for the kind words.

Oh My God – I don’t check-in on one day and find out Railrider posted his California report that day.

We do we start? First I gotta tell you when I saw the character breakfast pictures I knew behind that camera there was a daddy so proud that his face is not big enough to contain his smile. Plus between you and me I know you had tears of joy witnessing such a magical moment and if you think you and your wife’s tears are the only ones tearing up over that moment you would be wrong, as I kid you not I am tearing up just seeing you guys in those pictures. Times like the one you just shared with your family are sometimes far in between and I am so happy that you guys got to experience the Joy that Disney can give a family. Thanks RailRider for the accolades it is very kind. Your report is a big reason why I am so passionate about Disney and why I like to share my experience and little knowledge. I know that those who go with at least a bit of planning that there is a huge chance that they will experience a major life long magical moment experience. I mean who would not want to share a place where a family can find “The Happiest Place On Earth”.

I can not wait to read the rest of your report. Your report really makes me want to book a flight to California soon. Thanks for taking the time. Oh and BTW I love the picture of the two of you on Dumbo and the family shot with Mickey and too many favorite pictures at the breakfast to pick just one:D. Looks like you guys will be heading to the store soon to buy some picture frames as pictures like those should never be stored on a computer or left in a drawer.

I am so happy for you guys I could just hug ya.:D

Oh My God – I don't check-in on one day and find out Railrider posted his California report that day.

We do we start? First I gotta tell you when I saw the character breakfast pictures I knew behind that camera there was a daddy so proud that his face is not big enough to contain his smile. Plus between you and me I know you had tears of joy witnessing such a magical moment and if you think you and your wife's tears are the only ones tearing up over that moment you would be wrong, as I kid you not I am tearing up just seeing you guys in those pictures. Times like the one you just shared with your family are sometimes far in between and I am so happy that you guys got to experience the Joy that Disney can give a family. Thanks RailRider for the accolades it is very kind. Your report is a big reason why I am so passionate about Disney and why I like to share my experience and little knowledge. I know that those who go with at least a bit of planning that there is a huge chance that they will experience a major life long magical moment experience. I mean who would not want to share a place where a family can find "The Happiest Place On Earth".

I can not wait to read the rest of your report. Your report really makes me want to book a flight to California soon. Thanks for taking the time. Oh and BTW I love the picture of the two of you on Dumbo and the family shot with Mickey and too many favorite pictures at the breakfast to pick just one:D. Looks like you guys will be heading to the store soon to buy some picture frames as pictures like those should never be stored on a computer or left in a drawer.

I am so happy for you guys I could just hug ya.biggrin.gif

Ive got to tell you that at the Character Breakfast I thought of everything you had told me about the Magic and it truly clicked in my head. I seriously thought if only Jesse could see us now... I was really excited for you to read this and glad you have checked in so far. I must tell you DCA is unlike any park in Florida so I truly think a visit to California is worth the trip.

To everyone else thanks for the comments. There is much much more to come.

great trip report, i love the pictures too.

this is why disney is my favorite amusement park chain, i felt that i enjoyed seeing the little kids running up to see their favorite characters more than me getting to be back at disney.

i'm so glad your daughter had such a great time while at the happiest place on earth.

Disney's California Adventure

What an amazing park this is. The can't miss attractions we had set out for were the Aladdin musical, the Pixar Play Parade and a last minute addition Lunch with the Princesses at Aerials Groto. California Adventure is a very unique park. It truly has the feel of a cross between Disney Studios, Epcot, and a seaside boardwalk park. Very cool atmosphere with a nice collection of attractions. There are no picture from the Aladdin show, but is absolutely amazing. Broadway quality production in a beautiful theater, has some aspects that will remind you of the Broadway version of Lion King.. The show runs 45 minutes and is worth the time also its a nice break from the park.

Let the adventure begin.

DSC_0233.JPG

Love the mountains and mosiacs leading in to Golden Gate Bridge.

DSC_0234.JPG

After Aladdin we road Monsters Inc. Very cool ride and the debrief at the end is personalized to every vehicle.

DSC_0238.JPG

One of the main centerpieces of the park is Mickey's Fun Wheel on Paradise Pier.

DSC_0239.JPG

Notice the moving gondolas on the inside track of the wheel.

DSC_0244.JPG

We quickly made our way up to Aerial's Groto where we had a special lunch engagement with the Disney Princesses. Originaly this was not on our schedule because we were not sure of Zoe's reaction during the breakfast with Minnie and Friends. As you saw from the pictures it was an absolute hit. So while at breakfast one of the cast members helped us with reservations for lunch. Great addition to the day and another example of how small the crowds were.

DSC_0252.JPG

This was a 5 minute conversation at the least.

DSC_0254.JPG

While the experience is definately for the Disney Princesses, the food was quite good. A multiple course meal for the adults that was almost worth the price itself.

DSC_0256.JPG

Cinderella is ok, Snow White much better

DSC_0258.JPG

Belle is much better.

DSC_0260.JPG

Now I thought I knew how the Princesses would rate for Zoe, but I could not have guessed her reaction to the final princess. Princess Aurora. My daughter litterally put both hands on her face and screamed at the top of her lungs, SLEEPING BEAUTY AHHHHH!!! Pure excitement. I never knew and I have lost count as to what Magic moment number this was.

DSC_0263.JPG

DSC_0264.JPG

After lunch we headed further out the Paradise Pier section of the park. I caugh a walk on ride on California Screamin. Which is a steel multi lunch single loop coaster that resembles a wooden coaster. Anyways, very fun coaster. Also while in this area we hit the other various attraction and the boardwalk games. Zoe absolutely loved the games and the 3 of us played the classic games about 5 times spending roughly $20. We also won a large Dumbo, Woody, and a small duck. Which were all very nice quality and would have cost at least 3 times the amount if purchased in the gift stores. Just another nice surprise.

DSC_0271.JPG

On to Its a Bugs Land, which was some of the best theming I have seen. I really did feel like a bug at times.

DSC_0312.JPG

I love candy corn, wish it really grew like this.

DSC_0280.JPG

Fliks Flyers was amazingly themed. We road in the box of rasins, Zoe's favorite.

DSC_0283.JPG

Mommy doesn't do so well on spinny rides, but clearly she is enjoying this.

DSC_0290.JPG

As I taugh Zoe on the Matterhorn, Hands Up!

DSC_0293.JPG

Quite the fun little train and you ride along with Heimlich and Chew Chew Chew your way through various food items.

DSC_0297.JPG

The Watermellon is so juicy you get sprayed as you eat your way through.

DSC_0303.JPG

DSC_0307.JPG

The sun was begining to set and we had accomplished so much at California's Adventure we wanted to end our time in the park with the Pixar Play Parade before heading back to Disneyland.

DSC_0314.JPG

One of the best Disney Parades I have seen. Zoe absolutely went crazy.

DSC_0321.JPG

The Incredibles are ready for action.

DSC_0326.JPG

Flames are always cool.

DSC_0329.JPG

Nemo, Crush, and some Jellies. Awesome Dude...

DSC_0331.JPG

DSC_0334.JPG

Nobody does a parade like Disney.

DSC_0345.JPG

The walking stick was one of the best characters I have seen and was atleast 10 foot tall.

DSC_0347.JPG

Who doesn't love Toy Story?

DSC_0351.JPG

Love the Green Army Men but Mr. Potato Head is so cool.

DSC_0358.JPG

How can you have Pixar without Lightning Mcqueen?

DSC_0363.JPG

DSC_0364.JPG

And bringing up the rear, everyones favorite Tow Mater.

DSC_0366.JPG

Time to leave California Adventure and head back to Disneyland to close out the evening. So far it has been absolutely amazing.

DSC_0369.JPG

The entry plaza and the entrace to California Adventure look awesome at dusk.

The final few Magical moments... (next)

Thanks so much for sharing, those pictures made my day... of course I kept mentally replacing your daughter with minebiggrin.gif

You've got me incredibly excited. My daughter is 18 months and we've already booked reservations for HoliWood nights. Fun with her by day, KICers by night... Perfect!

We're planning a Disney World trip, probably about this time next year and looking into Idlewild (thaks Terpy) when we're in PA this Sept.

You have taken my anticipation to a whole new level.

Oh, Avatar, forget what I said about Cedar Fair theming awhile agowink.gif

Wow... absolutely amazing! I can't believe that you had all those characters to yourselves at breakfast. I could see other parks cancelling the event if they only had one reservation for it, but this just shows you Disney's commitment to guest satisfaction.

And you've successfully shown me how you can do both parks in one day... planning well, and of course pick the right time of year!laugh.gif

A trip to Disney every 5 years or so was fine for me years ago, but now that we have our daughter, I realize it's been far too long since we've gone. Of course, we went three years in a row ('06, '07 & '08), and the earliest we could go again is '11... that just seems too long now!

And I'm with you Gibson, I keep thinking of how my daughter would react too.

Thank you for sharing this with us, and I can't wait to see the finale!

Thanks again for the kind words. I think the final pictures will be delayed and will probably go up tomorrow instead. Too much to do and not enough time to finish the report. Glad everyone has enjoyed so far and that I have gotten to share such a special moment with KIC.

The Conclusion of a Magical Adventure

After leaving California Adventure we entered back in to Disneyland and Mainstreet had come to life with all the store fronts brightly light and outlined in lights as Sleeping Beauty's Castle sat at the end in a beautiful glow of lights. We had only a few attractions to left in Disneyland. Tomorowland was left to explore, along with a night cruise on the Jungle Cruise and yours truly taking advantage of the single rider line for Indiana Jones. We had experienced more than I ever planned, ridden everything we wanted, done the cant miss attractions, and had more magical moments and memories than I thought were possible. At this point we had been in the parks for well over 15 hours and Zoe was wearing down. We decided to head for the Jungle Cruise and catch a night time ride.

I was unable to include a picture of the Jungle Cruise or Adventureland at night because the shots did not turn out so well, but Adventureland is amazing at night. The open flames that line the paths and the beat of the drums are amazing. Great ambiance. The Jungle Cruise really comes to life at night in my opinion. While it may be a little cheesy during the day at night it is a completely different attraction. Zoe loved the animals, especially the hipos and of course the adults enjoyed the sarcastic banter.

After leaving the Jungle Cruise Zoe hit the stroller and was done. She was asleep in no time. Perfect time for me to catch a ride on Indiana Jones, which is an amazing attraction. I actually prefered this ride to Spiderman. The realism and the theming are amazing along with the detail of the sets. Wonder why this never made it to Florida?

DSC_0401.JPG

After leaving Adventureland we headed over to Tomorrowland where we planned on ridding Nemo, but Zoe was having non of it. She was done and completely exhausted from all the excitement of the day and from all the Magic she had by being a princess for the day. We decided it was best to let her sleep and not force the issue. We were more than happy with what we accomplished in one day. I took my spin on Space Mountain and we headed back to Sleeping Beauty's Castle to get some pictures and to just take in the atmosphere and relive the memories of the day.

DSC_0376.JPG

Still not much in the way of a crowd. This castle is nowhere on the same scale as the one at WDW.

Mainstreet was abuzz because the nightime parade before the fireworks was going on. This is the most people I had seen all day.

DSC_0396.JPG

We focused our attention on the castle because it was relatively quite and secluded because of all the parade action.

DSC_0395.JPG

D40 self portrait. Not the easiest thing to do.

DSC_0382.JPG

Roughly 17 hours in the park and the best park experience I have ever had. Ive gone goofy

DSC_0389.JPG

Did I mention how small the castle was. My atempt to crush it.

DSC_0391.JPG

After the sillyness that ensued in front of the castle we decided that it was time to go. We had a few more hours left till the park closed, but Zoe was done for the night. The wife and I had sat down and soaked everything in long enough we accomplished more than we thought was possible and created memories for a life time. As we headed down MainStreet we visited the numerous gift shops and bought so much Disneyland merchandise it wasn't funny. Then again we had the experience of our life just another way to help remember it. I will say Disney has some of the best merchandise around and we as a family have now been Disneyfied...

DSC_0405.JPG

Zoe did wake up long enough on the way out to get her mouse ear balloon. This was the one thing she wanted since we watched the planning DVD. I thought it was fitting it was received at the end of such an amazing day.

DSC_0406.JPG

We exited the park and by the time we reached the parking lot we were able to watch the fireworks display. Zoe didn't stir until we made it back to the condo. All in all it was the perfect end to an amazing day. I cannot count or even begin to tell all of the amazing moments that were experienced that day, but I hope these pictures have given you a slight glance of our experience and the Magic that was so real for one simple day. I hope you enjoy these final pictures and I will write a summary in a few days. This has been the biggest trip report I have ever done and it has brought so much joy and rekindled so many memories while I have done it.

I know of a place where dreams come true and where magic lives. I have found that place and will cherish it forever...

~RailRider

Such a touching PTR Rail Rider! I do not typically read these things, but I awaited every word of yours! I am so glad you had a great time, your pictures brought many emotions to me while reading!

Disney just does nearly everything right, and in most instances they go above and beyond the call of guest service!

If you haven't done so already, be absolutely sure that you back-up all those pictures in multiple places. It would be a shame to lose those pictures.

Thanks for sharing your visit with us!