Wizarding World of Harry Potter - Officially Open

Opens in 5 minutes.....Grand Opening Event will begin at 9AM. IOA's gates were opened at 7AM this morning, the Park is already at capacity and it isn't even open yet. Even with Park at capacity, the line to get into IOA wraps completely around the lake inbetween IOA and USF (passing in front of Hard Rock, Nascar Cafe, etc) and is now stretching back to Bubba Gump's. Huge, huge, huge day for Universal! Once again, congratulations on getting this massive project off the ground!

http://www.universal...arryPotterNews/

Click Live Feed at the top, ceremony begins very shortly...

UPDATED:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/travel/attractions/wizarding-world-of-harry-potter/orl-wizarding-world-of-harry-potter-theme-park-opening,0,410481.photogallery

Lots of pictures from earlier this morning showing off the epic crowds that have descended upon Universal for the chance to wander through Hogsmeade and Hogwarts.

- Todd

Hahaha true. Very neat presentation though.

Outstanding. Love John Williams. Hogwarts was absolutely amazing looking after dark, can't wait till Islands starts 9PM closes next week so I can see for myself. People that know me know that I tend to be critical of Universal....for good reason as they really have been in a downward slump for many years. I truly believe that those days are behind. They've actually raised the bar this time. Wizarding World is just amazing, every last little bit of it.

- Todd

Opens in 5 minutes.....Grand Opening Event will begin at 9AM. IOA's gates were opened at 7AM this morning, the Park is already at capacity and it isn't even open yet. Even with Park at capacity, the line to get into IOA wraps completely around the lake inbetween IOA and USF (passing in front of Hard Rock, Nascar Cafe, etc) and is now stretching back to Bubba Gump's. Huge, huge, huge day for Universal! Once again, congratulations on getting this massive project off the ground!

http://www.universal...arryPotterNews/

Click Live Feed at the top, ceremony begins very shortly...

- Todd

Some too weighty to ride new Potter attraction?

If you've been anticipating the wait of "Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey" at Universal Orlando Resort's new Wizarding World of Harry Potter park but weigh about 260 pounds, you may not be able to ride....

http://www.opposingviews.com/i/some-too-weighty-to-ride-new-harry-potter-attraction-at-amusement-park

The Motley Fool: Can Harry Potter Save Florida?:

...However, Blackstone is the company to watch here. It acquired the nearby Sea World and Busch Gardens attractions last year. Its Merlin Entertainment unit is also set to open Legoland Florida just an hour away by the end of next year.

Florida can certainly use the tourists, as BP's oil spill has left the state's Gulf coast beach resorts smarting.

This was already shaping up to be the most interesting summer in years for the amusement park industry. Cedar Fair (NYSE: FUN) will have to prove itself worthy after rebuffing an unsolicited buyout bid earlier this year. Six Flags (NYSE: SIX) is back in the spotlight. It began trading this morning after completing its bankruptcy reorganization.

The huge Potter opening proves that patrons will reward a park operator that spends to expand and enhance its gated attraction. After laying low during the recession, the amusement park industry is springing to life in this crucial summer season.

http://www.fool.com/...ve-florida.aspx

Guest Millennium

I was shocked to hear Universal only spent 275M on this park. It only has 3 rides, and 2 of them are updates of previous rides! Disney spent 1 billion on park updates alone.

I was shocked to hear Universal only spent 275M on this park. It only has 3 rides, and 2 of them are updates of previous rides! Disney spent 1 billion on park updates alone.

It's not a "park" (despite how the Universal publicity reads)--it's a remodel and expansion of an existing area of IOA.

Yes, it's true Disney is spending $1B over the next several years on theme park upgrades, but those improvements are spread across multiple parks (and multiple years/capital budgets).

So, if your point is a criticism that Universal spent "only" $275M on one ride, that should make that one ride pretty incredible, don't you think? :D

You must not have been to USF, rides are basically icing on the cake. There's so much more then rides there, heck, Dueling Dragon's queue is an experience in itself! Or was, at least. I know a lot of people who would like to take the 900 mile trip down to WWOHP and not do any of the rides, simply because they want to experience Hogwarts. And from what I've seen of the area, I would love to also!

You must not have been to USF, rides are basically icing on the cake. There's so much more then rides there, heck, Dueling Dragon's queue is an experience in itself! Or was, at least. I know a lot of people who would like to take the 900 mile trip down to WWOHP and not do any of the rides, simply because they want to experience Hogwarts. And from what I've seen of the area, I would love to also!

Kevin is one of those people. I really need to go here soon. Jackson, the Dragon Challenge queue still looks pretty awesome. Read this awesome PTR.

Guest Millennium

Uh..I was at the park two months ago. And loved it. Read my profile and you can see it is #4 on my top parks. B)

The place really has good theming...but for all the hype it is getting, it's surprising to hear it only has 1 completely new ride.

Btw, if you think Universal Studios in Orlando (not IOA) is nice, go to the one in California. Much better imo. :)

The place really has good theming...but for all the hype it is getting, it's surprising to hear it only has 1 completely new ride.

Btw, if you think Universal Studios in Orlando (not IOA) is nice, go to the one in California. Much better imo. smile.gif

That's because that one new ride is simply amazing. It truly is a ground breaking attraction. The thing with Wizarding World though, its more about *experience* rather than the number of rides. While I understand where you are coming from, I had similiar concerns when they officially announced the area about the same thing, I've found that to be a non issue. Even with only one new ride, I spent 4 hours in Wizarding World on Monday night just enjoying the area and unique experiences it offers. Whether you are enjoying a meal at Three Broomsticks, having a drink at Hogs Head, experiencing Ollivander's or just meandering through the shops...there is PLENTY to occupy your time.

I stand by my statement from my TR that this is better than anything Disney has done in the last 15 years or so here in Orlando. If anyone can appreciate the intricate detail that was put into Tower of Terror, you'll understand that it is THIS level of detail that encompasses the entire Wizarding World. As you stroll through Hogsmeade, each and every window has such an amazing amount of detail and there is something happening in all of them....my favorite is the hovering quill that is writing on a tablet by itself and the windows at Zonko's are pretty sweet as well. Even in the bathrooms, the voice of Moaning Myrtle fills the air. In short, Wizarding World is getting all the hype and it VERY much deserves it. I've been quite critical of Universal Orlando for the past several years, because quite frankly they've dropped the ball on many things and it stands out down here with such stiff competition.....but they have MORE than made up with Potter.

A few pictures that I took with my cell phone...

Entering Hogsmeade from the Lost Continent side of the area

4726993181_bab553e4e9.jpg

Hogwarts as night approaches

4727636876_5ac03feb33.jpg

Hogwarts - Forbidden Journey's entrance is near the front with the two statues

4726991877_0a5e7476cc.jpg

A peak inside Honeyduke's candy shop

4726992273_8c0bb02188.jpg

- Todd

Apparently the line just to get into the actual Wizarding World reached out of Islands, through CityWalk, and towards the parking garage on Opening Day. Mind you, this is just to get into the AREA, not just the new ride itself.

Disney must be shaking in its boots right about now.

Apparently the line just to get into the actual Wizarding World reached out of Islands, through CityWalk, and towards the parking garage on Opening Day. Mind you, this is just to get into the AREA, not just the new ride itself.

Disney must be shaking in its boots right about now.

This is probably going to make Disney think of something just as big if not bigger. :) Let the Florida wars begin!

Considering WDW already has their hands full with the Fantasyland expansion, I don't see them attempting to compete with Universal/Harry Potter for another six or seven years.

Unless, of course, they decide to gobble up the Twilight franchise and make a multimillion dollar recreation of Forks, Washington and a wicked new ride system detailing the perils of one Bella Swan. :mellow:

This is probably going to make Disney think of something just as big if not bigger. :) Let the Florida wars begin!

The thing is, what can they possibly do "bigger?" They hope this Fantasyland expansion will lure in the girls in the same way they think Harry Potter will draw in the boys. I think they're mistaken - Harry Potter is loved by boys, girls, adults, high schoolers, college students... Sure their Fantasyland expansion may be beautiful, but I don't think it's as marketable as Harry Potter.

The other rumored that had swirled around for a while was that Disney was going to use the KUKA Arm technology to build a LOST ride. LOST is a great show, and a great adventure, but certainly not worthy of this multi-hundred-million-dollar technology.

In short, what can beat Harry Potter? I don't know that many things can...

The thing is, what can they possibly do "bigger?" They hope this Fantasyland expansion will lure in the girls in the same way they think Harry Potter will draw in the boys. I think they're mistaken - Harry Potter is loved by boys, girls, adults, high schoolers, college students... Sure their Fantasyland expansion may be beautiful, but I don't think it's as marketable as Harry Potter.

The other rumored that had swirled around for a while was that Disney was going to use the KUKA Arm technology to build a LOST ride. LOST is a great show, and a great adventure, but certainly not worthy of this multi-hundred-million-dollar technology.

In short, what can beat Harry Potter? I don't know that many things can...

Actually, Disney had planned for an Incredibles-themed ride centered around the KUKA robot arms back in 2005, but Universal gobbled up the exclusive technology for their own to be later used for Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey.

Plus, out of all of the properties ABC owns but aren't currently at a Disney park, LOST, IMO, just doesn't fit in with any Disney park. A series like that is way too mature and adult-oriented for families and/or children to comprehend/understand, much less hop on an attraction based off of it. That's like saying they should do a show based off of Desperate Housewives or Ugly Betty.

^He said it was crowded and hot. That can always to lead to a park being a fail. In my opinion, it looks like a fun little place to go to.

Of course it is crowded and hot, its Florida and summer time. There isn't a single park here right now that is NOT miserable to be in, especially with our heat index being around 105 everyday for the last 2 weeks. Its interesting to read the comments at the end of this article. I find it amusing to watch the Disney geeks using every opportunity they can to bash Wizarding World. I'm a Disney kid at heart and, as I've mentioned before, have been a bit critical of Universal in years past....but their negativity isn't justified. The entire area is absolutely every bit as detailed as Disney would do....if not more.

The Fantasyland expansion at Magic Kingdom is a joke and several features have already been cut from the budget reportedly. I'm looking forward to the Little Mermaid dark ride attraction, but I'm not expecting it to be anything special....given its only working on a budget of around $15 million. GYK summed it up well a few posts back....Fantasyland isn't something that is going to be a draw for everyone, especially with the majority of its focus being centered around the Disney princesses....Potter appeals to a far broader demographic. Doesn't really matter though, Disney is Disney and they will continue to be successful regardless. Wizarding World of Harry Potter isn't going to stop people from going to Disney, but it may very well sway their decision as to how many days that they wanna play there.

- Todd

Not to mention he went no sooner than it opened and everyone and their mother-in-law from Blairstown, New Jersey was there to partake in the Wizarding World.

He does bring up an interesting point, though, about the lack of things to do in that area of the park. This isn't a full-blown theme park as some publicists have clearly misled a ton of people to believe; it's simply a re-theme of one of the islands and one brand-new attraction. Of course, that one brand-new attraction is ultimately groundbreaking and is set to "take theme park attractions into the next generation" (The same was said when Spiderman, and especially Indiana Jones, debuted. 15 years and only four clones later (six when you add in Curse of DarKastle and a Japanese knock-off), not so much.). This is essentially for the most die-hard fans of the book/movie series. Everyone else who either doesn't like the series or who haven't even heard or paid attention to it because they were too busy re-arranging furniture in their rock will just pass it off (save for the Forbidden Journey, which has to be ridden by everyone and their mother-in-law from Blairstown, New Jersey).

But he also neglected to mention the fact that Disney only wanted to do a single attraction in their Disney parks and attempt to turn it into another corporate brand by installing clones at their other parks (see Star Tours and the Tower of Terror as perfect examples), to which J.K. simply said, "No." And I don't blame her; much to everyone's chagrin, I would've seen Disney run that franchise into the ground.

My thoughts on the Wizarding World (for the two people who might care):

I'm confused about how I feel - The "absorbing" of the Medieval section of The Lost Continent is nothing short of genius, but also a bit depressing. That was a fantastic area of the park that, like all of Islands, had extraordinary detail (The Enchanted Oak Tavern? Merlinwood? The Dueling Dragon statue?). The area that replaced it is doubtlessly even better themed, but did the beautiful area that stood there before have to be sacrificed? And now, for better or worse, the wait for that inverted dueling coaster will be three times as long as it was the same time last year, and that's really strange and unfortunate for first-time visitors who don't really care about Harry Potter as a franchise, so they just decide not to enter the super-crowded Hogwarts area and never experience the great rides within.

That, too, brings out another question - we know the marketing of "a Harry Potter theme park" was negative in that it oversold it to the fans. Consider, maybe it also was off-putting for those who don't really care one way or other about Potter, or even dislike it... Maybe those who love Harry Potter will visit Islands of Adventure and be disappointed by the small size, and those who don't care for Harry Potter will avoid Islands of Adventure, seeing the "Harry Potter" banners and signs posted all over it, and chalk it up as the much-talked-about Harry Potter theme park and just avoid it... It's a question worth asking!

From all I've heard and seen, The Wizarding World is absolutely beautiful, immersive, and fun. I fear it may have been oversold, though - not just in size, but in grandeur. I'm sure the buildings and shops and restaurants are beautiful, but it's still a theme park. I actually do fear that, unless I keep myself grounded, I'll be let down from expecting too much. Beautiful as the decor may be, I'll still be paying a lot of money for food, waiting in line, and having (in short) a passive experience rather than an active one. I'm still dying to visit, of course, but it really is a chore to not make my standards higher than any theme park can meet.