Ed Harts Plan For Kentucky Kingdom

Guest rcfreak339

Guest rcfreak339

Much smaller, wetter life for Kentucky Kingdom...I found this newpaper clipping from a friend and it shows a map of what Ed Harts expansion plans will be if the negotiations are settled.

Stuff%20052%20[640x480].JPG

Stuff%20053%20[640x480].JPG

Stuff%20054%20[640x480].JPG

If true, I'm not for sure how much I like it...I see Hart has good intentions and will do the best he can but closing the front park is just a bad move. It was the only side that had life and was actually enjoyable. Thoughts?

maybe all of the rides from the smaller side will be relocated to the larger side like Breakdance, The Pirate Ship. The only coaster that maybe on the Chopping block is greezed Lightin. RoadRunner express can be installed somewhere else in the park within a week.

Guest rcfreak339

It's gonna be a water park only?

Ugh, I'm not a fan of water parks at all.

Wonder what will happen with the coasters and such.

No it will not, but most of the expansion will be mostly water rides..A new kids area is in the works.

I have consistently said from the beginning that I will believe all of this only when I see it happen. I've watched this industry for years. This plan is highly dependent on public financing and the continued, long term support of the Fair Board...both very iffy things, especially right now. By the way, odd isn't it...this was just about the same as Six Flags' plan for the park's future. Probably the same industry consultants giving the same advice.

Can you say Kentucky Kingdom's Wild Water Park? (Can't say Kingdom twice, plus some other Fair board might not have fun with that name).

maybe all of the rides from the smaller side will be relocated to the larger side like Breakdance, The Pirate Ship. The only coaster that maybe on the Chopping block is greezed Lightin. RoadRunner express can be installed somewhere else in the park within a week.

Roadrunner Express won't be moving anywhere else in that park...it's bound for Six Flags.

Guest rcfreak339

IF these plans hold up and they plan to open in 2011 they really need to get moving. This is a big shift and many things will need to be done. I'm guessing the front side will just stay closed next year? Then slowly be leveled? I would not be surprised if that in 10 years or so if everything goes right they will start to expand again but it's just going to be so incredibly weird. I can't wait to see which rides will stay and go...should be interesting.

[Geauga Lake inspired rant]

If this does goes through, I think it might be nice. Obviously I was no fan of the Geauga Lake decision (I live about 20 minutes from Geauga Lake), and the water park that remains today has about three slides, so that's also frustrating. But the worst, I think, is the missed opportunity to salvage what could be salvaged. Because the water-park is located on the former SeaWorld side of the lake, you can stand on top of a slide and literally spit onto the location where Shamu's Happy Harbour was. That side of the lake contained, at one time, Wildwater Kingdom, Happy Harbour (long removed of its Shamu moniker, but still operating the same - a few games, the giant net playset, a pirate ship, yo-yo swings, a 4D theater and a motion simulator). Now why, oh why, was it required that those be removed? And trust me - they were scrapped. The motion simulator building is still there, twenty or so feet from a fence that blocks off that area. Its cabins were stripped. Why? There is no iWerks motion simulator cabin at any other Cedar Fair park. The nets that were once part of SeaWorld were scrapped. How are those not appropriate for a water park?

Even with Dominator, X-Flight, and Steel Venom gone, I find that it would've been perfectly reasonable to keep the wooded path open that took visitors between Wildwater Kingdom and Raging Wolf Bobs on the other side of the park. Or (and this actually is asking a lot, but the rest truly isn't) relocate Big Dipper to the water park side, and place it where that "Phase II" expansion never happened. I don't think anyone would complain if a path were set up, completely walled off obstructing views, and carrying guests straight to Big Dipper's station. Would that really be so hard? To have one operating ride, setting up the floating boardwalk that's already there to carry you right to it? It would be a fantastic step in the right direction that would show that Cedar Fair gives a rats behind.

I can see why the park doesn't add much. But it's embarrassing that it got ride of so much unnecessarily. Would really be so awful for the park to have a few small flats, a 4D movie, and a motion simulator? It operated with them next to Wildwater Kingdom for a few years. What would be wrong with kids being in their swim suits and playing on the nets?

[/Geauga Lake rant]

That's why I think it's good to see Kentucky Kingdom keeping some of its smaller rides. It would be a waste opportunity otherwise.

It's gonna be a water park only?

Ugh, I'm not a fan of water parks at all.

Wonder what will happen with the coasters and such.

No it will not, but most of the expansion will be mostly water rides..A new kids area is in the works.

Hope you are right because, "replace defunct park with water themed attractions" sounds like a complete make over.

Did any of you seriously expect the entire ride selection of KK to be overhauled for the $20M price tag Hart is proposing?

A waterpark is the best option for KK, has been for a long time. KK's waterpark was it's most popular draw... not the rides. Many Louisville city pools, and neighborhood pools were closed 2 years ago due to budget cuts. Many of those pools now have their land for sale by the city.

I guarantee that Hart plans include asking the state for the funds to offset the loss of local pools in order to "revitalize" KK as a waterpark. It's as much an economical move as it is an attempt to "help out" his buddy Workman at the Fairgrounds. This is also an attempt to directly compete with HW's draw from Louisville. The recent news editorial (that aggrivated so many on this board) goes arm and arm with this.

The irony to all of this is that Mr Hart possibly wants to convert the main entrance to the park on the back-side of the property. No doubt to garner access from the local hotels that are currently cut off by a State Fair perimeter fence. That, my friends, is where you may see a potential problem arise. Workman wants the park open for the parking revenue... pure and simple. Hart wants to open the possibility of folks not needing to park on the Fairgrounds property. That will not fly.

I think Hart probably knows that the rides will ultimately belong to SF. My prediction is that the courts will decide that any non-permanent structure (rides) are the property of SF. Ironically, I would suspect SF really doesn't care to relocate the likes of Greezed Lightning, T2, Twisted Twins. They pulled what they wanted to keep out of the park a long time ago. So what rides remain at KK will be cast offs.

Bottom line, it's best suited as a waterpark.

The one ride could be Chang or Greezed Lighting, im not sure. Ed Hart is just trying to make the water park an average size like any other. You all know this waterpark is so small. Hes just making the park 50/50 half water and half amusment. Also, many of the rides will be relocated to the larger side like the Kids rides to the new area by the roller skater. Why don't you believe it? The park is nolonger run by a industry, its a city owned themepark once again. btw, the wild mouse is not going anywhere. btw, why are you comparing Geauga Lake to Kentucky Kingdom The Interpreter? Geauga Lake was closed due to Cedar Point being so close, not more than 50 miles from each other

http://louisville.bizjournals.com/louisville/stories/2010/07/26/story2.html

According to the article posted by Terp all but one ride (Road Runner) is to remain KK property.

Thanks for pointing that out. I didn't know until you said that a settlement deal with SF was now on the table.

But the point still remains... I think SF yanked the rides they specifically wanted out of the park prior to the closure. Apparently, with the exception of RR Express, the remaining rides were not really ones they'd choose to re-locate.

IMO, it would cost millions upon millions to gut and re-locate the remaining rides in KK as so many of you are hoping they will. Ultimately, I feel we'll see some of the remaining rides re-opened, but eventually they will give way to a sole waterpark focus.

Guest rcfreak339

The one ride could be Chang or Greezed Lighting, im not sure. Ed Hart is just trying to make the water park an average size like any other. You all know this waterpark is so small. Hes just making the park 50/50 half water and half amusment. Also, many of the rides will be relocated to the larger side like the Kids rides to the new area by the roller skater. Why don't you believe it? The park is nolonger run by a industry, its a city owned themepark once again. btw, the wild mouse is not going anywhere. btw, why are you comparing Geauga Lake to Kentucky Kingdom The Interpreter? Geauga Lake was closed due to Cedar Point being so close, not more than 50 miles from each other

http://louisville.bizjournals.com/louisville/stories/2010/07/26/story2.html

The quote "He is just trying to make it 50/50" is purely wrong. Kentucky Kingdoms backside is mostly a waterpark and that is fact, and it will become larger. After much thinking I may like this move, a world class waterpark is better then a "good" waterpark and a mediocre ride side.

Also SCCard, check up your facts. At this moment Six Flags WILL indeed get road runner. And I see no major attraction from the front side of the park moving to the backside...it's just to small.

This plan, and the total emphasis on waterpark with perhaps a few kiddie rides, is directly contrary to what is in the Courier Journal today:

http://www.KICentral...ndpost&p=393442

There, Mr. Hart is talking about a waterpark AND a heavy emphasis on roller coasters. Then again, he says he has a deal with the state, yet there is a lot of negotiating to be done.

Their is alot of room for those rides. The old top dragster area, theirs alot of room beind T2, and also theirs room over were Chang used to be. Its only 4 or 5 rides. It is or will be 50/50 next season, the waterpark today is so small. I worked at the park everyday last season.

Guest rcfreak339

^But the new waterpark will be expanded to those areas. I'm not saying there will not be enough room for rides because there is....just not enough for bigger rides like Greezed Lightnin, which honestly is to long.

Mr. Hart apparently intends to put parking in part of the current park area, too...(and in areas to be newly leased from the Fair Board).

Does anyone else find it interesting that Greezed Lightnin' was apparently passed over by Six Flags AND/OR wanted by Ed Hart/the Fair Board? It is assumed the resulting ride disposition was a matter of negotiation between the parties...even though the Fair Board tried to claim they owned them all (a very dubious assumption).

^But the new waterpark will be expanded to those areas. I'm not saying there will not be enough room for rides because there is....just not enough for bigger rides like Greezed Lightnin, which honestly is to long.

Its only were chang used to be. Theirs alot of room over by T2, and Twisted Twins. They could place 3 flats in the Northwest Terriotry were that dragster ride used to be. Greezed Lighing done for.

• 1 month later...

On track???

I looked at the place Friday while at the State Fair.

There appears to be NOTHING going on to have the place ready in what 7 months. I saw lots of dirt and rusty neglected rides everwhere.

It is a sad sight indeed, especially viewed from Crittenden and those ugly twins and ran down busted up fencing.

I don't believe a word he says at this point.

To be honest, I don't want to.

People may not like the park, I myself hadn't been there since 1990, but it is sad to see stuff neglected like that.

Especially that big Ferris Wheel just sitting there, something many parks are sadly lacking.

Could tell from the fencing along Crittenden that people have been entering the park of their own accord. I'm sure vandalism has affected lots of the park as well.

me personally I think its stupid to try and resurrect it as a waterpark... I mean how far away is holiday world, you know the world's 2nd best. IF Ed Hart thinks he's going to take on Splashin Safari with Kentucky Kingdom, then I want he's smoking because those are some good drugs!

^^ I agree, mainly because I do not really care for water parks AT ALL. Sure, I'll ride some water rides at a park but can do without tubes and slides. Just not my thing, if I wanna get wet I'll jump in a swimming pool. Preferably one not filled with hundreds of other people whose hygiene I know NOTHING about.

Especially children, I wash my kids clothes, it takes YEARS for someone to learn how to properly wipe :(