Something Old Becomes New Again at Kings Island: Red Racer vs. Blue Racer, Season Pass Processing, 2008 Entertainment Lineup, Halloween Haunt & More

For the past 26 years, The Racer has been modified in a manner that was a unique concept of the time: one side ran forwards, while the other side ran backwards. Recently, the decision has been made to return The Racer to its former glory by reigniting the rivalry between the Red Racer vs. the Blue Racer, both sides running forward, in a head-to-head competition to the finish line. Since the one side of the track had been modified with backward trains, the red and the blue alternated, but now the Backward Racer will be known as the Red Racer and will be home to the forward-facing red trains while the former Forward Racer will be called the Blue Racer and will be home to the blue trains.

Credited for ushering in the second golden age for roller coasters, The Racer at Kings Island has been a stable attraction since the park’s inception in 1972. This legendary ride has been featured on shows such as The Brady Bunch in the episode The Cincinnati Kids and has received the distinction of being an “ACE Roller Coaster Landmark” by the American Coaster Enthusiasts.

The Racer was designed by the legendary roller coaster designer John Allen, and was constructed by the Philadelphia Toboggan Company. Its double out-and-back design reaches a maximum height of 88ft and reaches speeds of 53.3 mph.

There's entertainment everywhere at Kings Island in 2008! From the return of the amazing ice skating spectacular, Endless Summer on Ice to some new favorites paying tribute to some of the best country songs to top the charts or even a flashback to the 80s, with six shows Kings Island has something for everybody in 2008! Click here for more information about the 2008 entertainment lineup at Kings Island!

Kings Island Central is proud to announce a new service that we are currently testing. You can now have the latest Kings Island info sent directly to your phone as a text message! Whether you're at home, work, school, or even at the park itself, you can now receive the latest Kings Island news and information without even having to be near a computer. Click here for more information on KICentral.com's official mobile club!

Mark your calendars! Sunday, April 20, 2008, will be Kings Island's opening day for the 2008 season! New for 2008! Kings Island will be open FRIDAYS in May! Click here to view Kings Island's 2008 operating schedule and remember to save the date, April 20, 2008!

Did you know that Kings Island has a new option for season passes? New for 2008! Kings Island offers the Cedar Fair Platinum Pass. With the new Platinum Pass, not only do you get a summer of fun at Kings Island but you get FREE admission and FREE parking to all Cedar Fair parks, including but not limited to, Kings Island, Cedar Point, Geauga Lake's Wildwater Kingdom, Dorney Park, Knott's Berry Farm, Kings Dominion and Carowinds! Click here for more information and to order your 2008 Kings Island Season Pass or Cedar Fair Platinum Pass!

Still haven't processed your 2008 season pass? Kings Island invites you to avoid the lines and have your season pass processed before the park opens to the public! The season pass processing center will be open at Kings Island from 4pm to 8pm on weekdays starting April 1st, and 11am to 8pm weekends until April 18th. If you have a voucher for a free Cedar Fair VIP jacket it may be redeemed during the days listed above.

Are you an avid Kings Island fan or do you casually visit once a year? It doesn't matter! KICentral.com is the site for you. Why not register on the forums of KICentral and tell us about your thoughts and experiences involving Kings Island! Registration is fast, FREE, and easy. Don't forget to keep checking KICentral.com for the latest news, rumors and information about Kings Island amusement park!

Regards,

Ryan

I just started riding, and enjoying, Recar last summer...and was looking forward to it again...but I guess not...oh well...there's small children in poor countries that have never seen a roller coaster and I'm complaining about riding one forwards the way it was intended...It'll be interesting to hear all the people in the park that aren't as informed as we are...I wonder how many times i'll have to bite my toungue in line lol.

This Sucks!

Bad PR move as well, there are those that prefer it forwards but they have that, the many that love the backward racer are going to be irritated like myself, while I'm not one of those kind of people who are going to say I won't renew my pass because of it, still it feels like they have torn down my favorite ride, and I know many people that love it backwards, and I think this will upset more people than it makes happy

I think the cool thing about it is how they're putting the different colored trains on each side of the track. I always thought it looked kind of dumb when they'd race two blue or two red trains. Weren't they supposed to be on the same team? ha ha

Plus, now it's going to be a RACE. Having the forward Racer race the Backward Racer was like having the Reds play the Bengals in hockey. It just didn't really make any sense as far as a racer was concerned.

I think the cool thing about it is how they're putting the different colored trains on each side of the track. I always thought it looked kind of dumb when they'd race two blue or two red trains. Weren't they supposed to be on the same team? ha ha

Plus, now it's going to be a RACE. Having the forward Racer race the Backward Racer was like having the Reds play the Bengals in hockey. It just didn't really make any sense as far as a racer was concerned.

Not really The Racers used to be theme to the USA all red, white and blue but they don't paint the track like that anymore.

First off: YES!! IT"S GOING FORWARD! GO Cedar Fair! :lol::lol:

Second: Thanks for the update, Boddah. I really like the picture, nice clear and glossy.

Third: You're totally right, Boddah. RACING a Backwards and Forwards train is goofy.

Last: I'm going to talk my mom into getting our passes processed this weekend, I send Pics.

Really i am kind of excited they did this because now i get to see what it was like back when it first opened with both sides going forward.And to the center station divider Gemini does do well but i have never really ridden it when it had a large crowd like The Racer has strangely been receiving in the past year or so. I wonder if it will attract more people or make them more mad?