Toyota Family Day - CANCELLED

JAHill

Due to money and income being low, Toyota has officially cancelled their Kings Island family day, the only day of the year I get to visit. :(

Rumors to workers (like my dad) say that the entire thing is for greed.

However, I think it is a bit messed up to cancel on thousands of families who have looked forward for months, including mine. Now we have the slightest chance to make it up there this year.

EDIT: I believe this only applies to TMMK in Georgetown, KY. I read up that TMAA is still planning for Sep. 20, 2008

Due to money and income being low, Toyota has officially cancelled their Kings Island family day, the only day of the year I get to visit. :(

Rumors to workers (like my dad) say that the entire thing is for greed.

However, I think it is a bit messed up to cancel on thousands of families who have looked forward for months, including mine. Now we have the slightest chance to make it up there this year.

EDIT: I believe this only applies to TMMK in Georgetown, KY. I read up that TMAA is still planning for Sep. 20, 2008

Sorry to hear about that man.

Companies are facing some tough decisions right now. Sometimes they don't realize how important events like these are to the employees and their families. What really is not a major expense for a large company (Such as Toyota) creates such good will with it's employees.

And yet, Toyota is known for avoiding layoffs at all possible costs. Would you prefer that some people lose their jobs so others can go on an outing?

A single outing is not going to cause the the company to do lay offs. If it were to that point, there would be lay offs already. In fact, they are changing the MS plant over to construct Prius's within the next year. They adjust and adjust quickly. What some companies fail to understand that it is important to motivational and rewarding to their work force, as well.

Toyota is also known for zealously containing costs. You, nor I, have no idea what other costs they are curtailing at this time. Toyota, unlike Honda, has also been hard hit by the sales slump. Toyota's Prius halo seems to distract the public from the fact it also sells many large vehicles, from the Highlander to the Tundra...and those sales are down drastically...while Civic is now the best selling vehicle in the USA (it had been the Ford F150 for years...)

But enough of that aside, which may help some...

Toyota is also known for zealously containing costs. You, nor I, have no idea what other costs they are curtailing at this time. Toyota, unlike Honda, has also been hard hit by the sales slump. Toyota's Prius halo seems to distract the public from the fact it also sells many large vehicles, from the Highlander to the Tundra...and those sales are down drastically...while Civic is now the best selling vehicle in the USA (it had been the Ford F150 for years...)

But enough of that aside, which may help some...

It's actually the truck plan in MS that is being changed over to a Prius plant.

And yet, Toyota is known for avoiding layoffs at all possible costs. Would you prefer that some people lose their jobs so others can go on an outing?

Well said... it's not like employees and families can't make it to Kings Island ever again. Surely it's a symbolic loss, but there's a reason why Toyota is doing this. They've seen the mistakes that the American-owned companies have made, and are not in the position to do the same. I'm not necessarily calling buying out an amusement park for employees a mistake, but the Big Three has been burned due to legacy costs overall.

All I know is that the sales for the Camry haven risen a steady 5% a month over last years! So, I can see the trend to smaller vehicles... but to cancel family day? Come on... Everybody at TMMK LOVE KI day and I'm sure this will hit hard with employee morale and could affect business alot worse than dishing out the few hundred thousands need for KI day.

Oh well, that doesn't stop me from going to KI... but it does stop my entire family! -hauntguy

And actually, many people that attend the park on these company days only are able to attend on the company days.

Not sure if PG still does it the way they did. It was always one of my favorite weekends to work. They'd do giant inflatables all over International Street and even bring in Nascars and park them in the park. They'd run all kinds of special awards and games and give out bags of products.

I was wondering the same thing?

I wonder how KI goes around recouping the lost revenue of not having Toyota family day or is this just a single plant that wont be attending the event. If the entire thing is off Im sure it could have a pretty big impact on KI if they dont have the staffing scheduled to open to park to the GP now. Interesting.