Whither Conneaut Lake Park Now?

• 2 years later...

Lusid Media, based in Knoxville, Tenn., will be at the park filming before and during a special volunteer cleanup July 29 through Aug. 3. The program will show the park's transformation and is expected to be the pilot episode for a new series on amusement parks, said Jack Moyers, chairman of the park's board of trustees.

http://goerie.com/conneaut-lake-park-to-star-on-travel-channel

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

That's upsetting. chugh43 just texted me with this news because he knew we were planning on going this weekend. I wonder if the Blue Streak train that was destroyed was in storage, or if it's one they use regularly. Also, I wonder how this will effect operations.

Gator, now questioning if we will still go to Conneaut, or instead switch to CP. I'll have to watch to see what develops in the next few days and determine then.

• Like 2

I would like to think that it would have lasted longer had it not been for those fires. Mrs. Gator used to go to both Idora and Conneaut as a child. I've never been to either, and I can only go to one of those now. A couple years ago she got me the book Idora Park: the Last Ride of Summer for Christmas, but that can in no way compare to going there.

• Like 1

I've had that book since 7th grade. Would bring it to school at least once a year through my Senior year at Chaney. Showed it to everyone. People around here need to have some pride in the area, instead of saying "oh, can't wait until I leave Youngstown!".

• Like 2

Very informative article about the fire, with some good photos. "Nine fires of undetermined causes happened last year in and around the park": http://triblive.com/news/adminpage/4459951-74/complex-park-conneaut#axzz2apEpMTX1

And CLP is debuting a new attraction tomorrow, which is staying "top secret". Plus they restored the kiddie fire truck ride from Idora Park! ( I can just picture a very young Mrs. Gator taking a spin on that!) Another good article with a good video: http://www.wfmj.com/story/23025038/conneaut-lake-park-to-open-new-attraction

After that news, and watching the video and seeing how good the park is looking with the spruce up, we are not changing our plans and are definitely going to Conneaut Sunday!

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

On Rock to Rebuild Conneaut Lake Beach Club and Hotel Conneaut's Facebook page, there was this post:

Update on our Plan:

In response to the inaccurate posting on the Conneaut Lake Park facebook page by the trustees we submit the following for clarification:

- Aug 8, 2013. The Beach Club is destroyed due to fire.

- Our company Park Restoration LLC, operates the Beach Club under a management agreement with a 20 year term.

- In the agreement, the trustees were both responsible to pay back and present property taxes and for fire insurance.

- The trustees chose not to purchase fire insurance on the property or ANY park buildings even though common sense, fiduciary duty and two mortgage documents required them to do so.

- One of their first actions as a board was to not renew fire insurance that was purchased by the former court appointed custodian.

- Months later, the Dreamland Ballroom was destroyed by a fire.

- The Trustees chose not to pay any property taxes until 2014.

- 17 years of unpaid property taxes. In the first 7 years of the trustees term, there was no payment.

Our company purchased $611,000 in fire insurance to rebuild the Beach Club in the event of a loss.

Due the Trustees not paying anything towards back and current taxes, there is legal clarification required to determine the disposition of the insurance money.

The insurance was not intended to bail out the Trustees for the negligence, incompetence and breach of their fiduciary duty in paying property taxes.

It is intended to rebuild the Beach Club.

In 8 years, the Trustees have not devised a plan to operate the park in the black and have not devised a plan to address the property taxes past and present.

How can they still be in place after such a long term failure?

In November of 2013, we presented a plan to the trustees that utilized $480,000 of Beach Club fire insurance monies to pay down the entire principal of the CLP back property taxes.

With cooperation from Mid America Events (Ghost Lake) and our company, we developed a payment plan that addressed the additional back property taxes owed and payoff in a timely fashion.

Both Ghost Lake and our company attempting to work together to find a solution with the trustees but they have failed to work in good faith and have no solution.

Had the Trustees worked in good faith, the fear of a tax sale would be gone and the CLP debt would be roughly $20,000 lower. Everyday the trustees waste, increases the debt at an alarming rate.

So at this hour, the Trustees blame our company for their inability to do the task they arrogantly and ignorantly thought they could do better than anyone else.

Note that...

The Park's attendance in 2013 was the lowest ever.

It dropped 30% since Adams Amusements took the ride area two years ago.

The Park area's condition is deplorable.

Camperland has not seen any repairs in years.

Our proposal not only provided a plan to avoid a tax sale, it would have opened the closed water park and opened the abandoned Convention Hall for musical events, swap meets, flea markets and the like.

Our plan in conjunction with the help from Ghost Lake would have saved the park and provided a path to rebuild the Beach Club.

Our plan was rejected by the trustees without any real attempts to modify, negotiate and work together to find a solution for the good of all.

...and still the trustees remain looking for excuses, looking for someone to blame for their breach of duties.

We Pray the Attorney General of PA will remove the trustees . from office before they kill all the good and potential that still remains at Conneaut Lake Park.

Jack Moyers and Carol West and the few others trustees that remain, please have the self-respect to resign.

When you do, others have indicated their intentions to help.

But, like us and Ghost Lake, they want to get something done and you personally stand as the roadblock of progress.

Greg and Steve

Found here.

I don't know if anything will come of this (it looks like they have zero progress), but at least it's a possibility if the two sides decide to could work together.

• Like 3

If everything they're claiming is true, it's time to fire the trustees or take them to court on the grounds of negligence of duties...

I agree, but that's a big "if". At least this looks like a potential option when there really hasn't been any.

• Like 2

I've seen potential options, glimmers of hope and a few, small, positive changes at Conneaut Lake Park over the years, usually followed quickly by fire, setbacks, fire, theft, gloom, bad weather, corruption, or fire again.

The poor park has had as many perils as Pauline. It's sad to watch.

I truly hope it opens this year, which it may.

As for next year, I'd not place any bets on that. Conneaut Lake Park has the same odor and sense of foreboding about it that Whalom, Joyland of Kansas, Americana and so many before it had right before their ends.

I'd not dawdle if experiencing Conneaut Lake Park is important...

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

"Trustees of Conneaut Lake Park out of deal with state AG's office"

Mark Turner, executive director of the Economic Progress Alliance, said his agency is developing a plan to revitalize the amusement park and repay more than $900,000 in overdue property taxes that date back to 1997.

As of Thursday, Conneaut Lake Park owed $914,237.69 in back property taxes, interest and penalties to Conneaut School District, Crawford County and Sadsbury and Summit townships, according to figures from the Crawford County Treasurer’s Office.

“We’ve got a plan started,” Turner said Thursday afternoon, noting he hoped to present a plan to Crawford County commissioners next week.

First, though, the four new Trustees of Conneaut Lake Park will need additional board members, Turner said. The new board may have up to 15 members, but it could be less, Turner said. The new board is expected to meet next week to form and will include community members from the Conneaut Lake area, Turner said.

http://www.meadvilletribune.com/local/x1760099718/New-governing-board-for-Conneaut-Lake-Park-is-named

It seems a little optimistic to get a new board together, have them agree on the purposed plan, and present the plan to the county commissioners all by next week.

• Like 1

I wanted to add this. It's taken from Hotel Conneaut's Facebook, so take it with a grain of salt.

It's a great day for Conneaut Lake Park!

In a hearing at the Crawford County Courthouse today, the entire park board resigned as a result of the investigation of the PA Attorney General.

In a settlement between the parties, the board's directors and officers insurance carrier will pay $200,000.

...The board had insurance to cover their a**es but no insurance to cover all of the assest that burnt to the ground and are not being rebuilt.

We applaud the Attorney General for all the hard work and effort needed to make today happen.

Conneaut Lake Park was given another chance today.

With the new board, there is a plan for a new Beach Club, there is a plan for a new Midway, there is a plan...period...

Sr. Deputy Attorney General Gene Herne and Attoney General Kathleen Kane, you just brought life back to our small town...

We cannot thank you enough!

...Just spoke with Len Adams of Adams Amusements. We are working on a grand July 4th celebration with a barge fired fireworks display Saturday July 5th at 10pm.

Come Celebrate our Independence!

https://www.facebook.com/HotelConneaut/posts/10152280790919160

• Like 1

Last week we were at Conneault and someone was talking about the changes that were in the works. With the current state of the park, it truly seemed far fetched and dismissed what he was saying. Hope they can bring things together. Would love to see this park brought back to life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4