Kings Island's Eiffel Tower...

Coney Islander

being a metal structure, pieces can be replaced as needed. and it's not so tall that a crane couldn't make repairs to the secret board room at the top of the tower :). I think the only thing that could compromise the structural integrity would be an unusually strong earthquake or tornado.

In those cases it would be interesting to see if/how the park would rebuild.

Not to mention that just cause the elevators would be inoperable does not mean the tower would be dismantled. I can imagine the hostility of people if the tower ever was to leave the beloved park, public outcry would be off the chart.

i highly agree with this, just ask dave stroem about my opinion of the mockery they now made about it with the addition of the "Starlight Spectacular".

I see the tower lasting a very long time, even after the park would be closed, just maybe. We have something that many parks lack, a beautiful centerpiece structure, thus why I think that it will outlast the park even.

Posted from my iPhone....4!!

Does the Eiffel Tower at Kings Island have any particular life span? The Eiffel Tower in Paris has been standing since 1889...

And it was only meant to be temporary.

As stated, the tower is comprised of angle iron, s section, and w section beams bolted and welded together. You can swap one out overnight. If the park cares about it remaining to stand, it will continue to stand.

My only complaint about the tower is that there are no benches up there. Especially on the side facing the parking lot. That side is always breezy and wonderful on a hot day. BUT, I understand why there are not benches up there. Speaking of the tower, I'm very thankful for it and the people who work there. Beautiful (and safe) views for all :)

Guest PizzaBaby027

Not to mention that just cause the elevators would be inoperable does not mean the tower would be dismantled. I can imagine the hostility of people if the tower ever was to leave the beloved park, public outcry would be off the chart.

i highly agree with this, just ask dave stroem about my opinion of the mockery they now made about it with the addition of the "Starlight Spectacular".

The Starlight was signed to a 3 year agreement, I know most about the starlight show, one night after closing my stand I took a little journey over there and to my surprise the folks who designed and did all of it where there fixing and doing some last minute touchs, they said its supposed to last for 3 years.

jus sayin

The Starlight was signed to a 3 year agreement, I know most about the starlight show, one night after closing my stand I took a little journey over there and to my surprise the folks who designed and did all of it where there fixing and doing some last minute touchs, they said its supposed to last for 3 years.

The show wasn't "signed" to any agreement or anything. It's a light show. Christmas lights on display. The park didn't sign a legal contract with itself promising itself that it wouldn't remove its own light show for three seasons... They could take it down today if they wanted. And even if you did hear that it's supposed to last three years (and trust me, most park employees have little knowledge about the inner workings of the park, despite what they may feel), it's like any show - its popularity will be judged, it will be altered each year, and basically it will last as long as its desired by guests and park management.

(Here comes a Dippin' Dots guy rant):

Sometimes working at the park makes folks feel like they're on a pedestal of knowledge. They'll spew out facts & statistics and tell you what's going to happen to Son of Beast or about Vortex, because they heard that someone heard that someone said something about something, and since the person who told them works for the park, what they said was obviously true and some sort of "inside information!" So then the listener grabs onto that information and flaunts it as if its his or her own, and then adds a few colorful details or makes it a bit more exciting, unaware the the person before him, and the person before that person, did the same thing. In general, Joe Schmo the litter-gitter, Joe Schmo the Dippin' Dots guy, and even Joe Schmo the Diamondback operator who's in his fifth summer, do not know anything about the inside workings of Kings Island, what they have planned, contracts that are in place, or what they're currently undertaking behind-the-scenes. I'm sure that there have been times when a day-to-day operations employee of Kings Island has overheard something official - however, if they were to repeat what they heard to anyone (even fellow employees or super-inquisitive guests, and especially on a public discussion board), they would almost certainly no longer work at Kings Island.

The idea of hearing that Starlight Experience will be around for three years isn't even a big deal or a real violator of this Dippin' Dots Law, but it's a good time and place to bring it up before John Everyman working on the scrambler tells you alllll about Son of Beast's demolition.

Guest PizzaBaby027

The show wasn't "signed" to any agreement or anything. It's a light show. Christmas lights on display. The park didn't sign a legal contract with itself promising itself that it wouldn't remove its own light show for three seasons... They could take it down today if they wanted. And even if you did hear that it's supposed to last three years (and trust me, most park employees have little knowledge about the inner workings of the park, despite what they may feel), it's like any show - its popularity will be judged, it will be altered each year, and basically it will last as long as its desired by guests and park management.

Alright look I don't give a flying &%$* if you don't believe me, I talked to the man who designed the light show he told me that they want the show for 3 years. I hope your not this stupid, but Kings Island doesn't just say we want a light show, and then go out and buy billions of Christmas lights and put them up around tree's and crap, they hired a company to design, choreograph, and produce the light show, they hire a company and that company works with the entertainment and technical media folks of the park. The folks who hired the company made a contract to keep the show for 3 years. Believe me or not I don't care, I was there watching them fix the flaws, and I had a lengthy conversation with the man in charge of all of the show!!!!!!

Also I did not hear any of this from any ol dippin dot employee, I HEARD IT FROM THE MAN WHO PRODUCED THE SHOW.

Edited by Dane

First, please calm down. I do not know how privvy you are to this website's terms of service, but you certainly are not encouraged to "shout," curse, or tell a fellow user to "suck on that."

I'm saying, if the show proved immensely unpopular (a la the in-park Haunt displays), you better believe it would be removed. Of course, there's nothing controversial about it, so that won't be the case. But if visitor satisfaction starts to fall, and the show's marketability & draw falls below its operational cost, the show won't continue. If it costs more to market the show than the park is making based on its draw, why would they keep it?

My point, however lost in translation, was that those people working for the park, nor you working for the park, know the exact inner-workings of any contract that may or may not be in place. And if you did come into understanding of some agreement that is between Kings Island & an outside company through any means (which is possible!), it would be in your best interest, as an employee of Cedar Fair Entertainment Company, to keep such information to yourself. There are doubtlessly those who have found information out that does not involve them (information that deals directly with financial & time constraints brought on by Cedar Fair), shared that information in a public setting, and found themselves reprimanded in one way or another.

There are users here who are absolutely 100% informed about what Cedar Point will be getting next season. They found out, because they were told directly by the powers that be at Cedar Fair Entertainment Company. If they shared that information with us before the rides official announcement, you can believe that they would not be trusted with such information ever again. If Mr. Kinzel himself approached me and told me about a three year contract for Starlight, or a proposed fix for Son of Beast, it would be my responsibility to keep that information private. And if the man who "produced" (what?) a light show at Kings Island was tinkering with the lights one evening and told you about a contract, it would be wise to remove that information from your memory.

Many rides & attractions in Kings Island required outside sources to create them. Do you not think that the lights inside the theaters, Flight of Fear, and The Crypt were installed, programmed, choreographed, etc. by outside sources? But, if Kings Island choses to discontinue their use, they certainly can. They do not need to call anyone, much less terminate any contracts, to take the light fixtures out of Flight of Fear if they should chose to do so. Technifex is a company, for example, who worked very, very closely with Paramount to construct the queue and ride building of Tomb Raider: The Ride. Did they have to be consulted when their work was covered up, removed, edited, torn out, changed, and turned off? I do not know. And if I did, I couldn't say, could I?

Starlight Spectacular is a show. If Kings Island chose to discontinue it for the 2011 season, I hardly see a lawsuit being a concern...

But this isn't even about Starlight Spectacular. It's my suggestion to you to keep in mind that being a park employee affords you very little knowledge that one couldn't find out publicly. And that which you do learn in private (and that which is inaccessible to the public), needs to stay in private. Believe it or not, it is not typical for large corporations to reveal their inner-workings to sixteen-year-old part-time summer employees, and that includes any private contracts that have been negotiated.

Guest PizzaBaby027

First, please calm down.

I'm saying, if the show proved immensely unpopular (a la the in-park Haunt displays), you better believe it would be removed. Of course, there's nothing controversial about it, so that won't be the case. But if visitor satisfaction starts to fall, and the show's marketability & draw falls below its operational cost, the show won't continue.

My point, however lost in translation, was that those people working for the park, nor you working for the park, know the exact inner-workings of any contract that may or may not be in place. And if you did come into understanding of some agreement that is between Kings Island & an outside company through any means, it would be in your best interest, as an employee of Cedar Fair Entertainment Company, to keep such information to yourself. There are doubtlessly those who have found information out that does not involve them, and information that deals directly with financial & time constraints brought on by Cedar Fair, shared that information in a public setting, and found themselves reprimanded in one way or another.

Many rides & attractions in Kings Island required outside sources to create them. Do you not think that the lights inside the theaters, Flight of Fear, and The Crypt were installed, programmed, choreographed, etc. by outside sources? But, if Kings Island choses to discontinue their use, they certainly can. They do not need to call anyone, much less terminate any contracts, to take the light fixtures out of Flight of Fear if they should chose to do so.

Starlight Spectacular is a show. If Kings Island chose to discontinue it for the 2011 season, I hardly see a lawsuit being a concern...

But this isn't even about Starlight Spectacular. It's my suggestion to you to keep in mind that being a park employee affords you very little knowledge that one couldn't find out publicly. And that which you do learn in private (and that which is inaccessible to the public), needs to stay in private.

All crap basically is what you just said, and here's another thing I am not an employee of Kings Island, I quit long ago, I could say why but I like to keep the park looking good!!!

Sigh. Everything I just said was "crap?"

GYK, wondering if this should be taken care of by someone else, somewhere else, some other time?

Or does the use of logic & reason still stand a chance?

Doubtful.

Let the Eiffel Tower discussion resume!