Kentucky Kingdom

It seems KK, for now at least, has proven the naysayers wrong. I was sure to go in 2014 because I wasn't so sure it would open for a second straight year.

Their sucess is excellent for Kings Island fans. Competition makes everyone better. As many of you know, what we know as Action Zone was in response to Kentucky Kingdom. Also for you history buffs, Kings Island itself was built as an upgrade to Coney Island partially as a response to a proposed but never built Davy Crockett themed park in Boone County Kentucky.

• Like 5

In getting to KK from Cincy, am I better off going I-71 through downtown L'ville to I-65 or should I loop south on I-264?

You will hit alot of construction if you stay on the 71 freeway.  I come in on 64 and take 264.

By the way, I still owe you for the RHOFG from last summer.  If you let me know what day you will be at KK, and if I am not working, I'd be happy to meet you to pay you back!

• Like 1

^I-64 is incredibly out of my way.  I'm giving myself over 2 hours to drive down there anyhow.  Going through Lexington tacks on an extra hour for me.  

I'm going on July 1st.  I plan to get there as close to when the park opens as possible and will probably stay at least until 7 pm, or at least until I get in all the major coasters a few times (I like to take in a new coaster by riding it throughout the train) as well as hitting a few of the other rides and exploring the park in general since this is my first visit.  I'm not doing Hurricane Bay though.  

• Like 1

Today, I went to Kentucky Kingdom with some friends. We rode Storm Chaser twice, the Angry Birds ride, then spontaneously left for Holiday World (completely unplanned) and spent the rest of the day there. After I spent $30 on KK.

It's nothing against KK. I just despised the layout, it was hot and tiring to walk around, Storm Chaser underwhelmed me, and honestly I didn't want to wait in the long line Lightning Run had (running one train). I'm sure it's a great park but meh, I wasn't feeling it today.

Holiday World was fun as always though! Now, we are going to KI to cap off the day. We are crazy.

• Like 7

Had a great time at the Storm the Kingdom event yesterday.  Got to ride all the coasters and flats even though the wet and dry side were insanely busy.  Storm Chaser has gone through four sets of wheels so far, so they had to temporarily use nylon wheels, which give your rear end a weird vibrating feeling (when it is in the seat).  It also makes the coaster loud, and seems slower to me than the other time I had been to the park this season.

• Like 4

Went for the first time today and had a blast. Lightning Run and Storm Chaser are amazing coasters. T3 I could go without ever riding again. Crowds weren't bad either. Only drawback was all of the coasters were running with only one train so really slowed down the lines. Plan to just spend the day in the water park tomorrow and maybe hit LR and SC again before leaving

• Like 4

I finally made it to Kentucky Kingdom this weekend, and it was about what I expected. Thunder Run was solid. Lightning Run was surprisingly thrilling compared to what it looks like. T3 was not fun. And Storm Chaser blew my mind. They were only running single trains in Storm Chaser, and Thunder Run (obviously) were running one train, and operations were slow. It was full (Saturday of a holiday weekend), and staffing seemed limited. It was very much as described.

That being said, there are fantastic pieces here. The waterpark looked really nice, although we didn't experience it because of crowds. And Storm Chaser... Wow! That ride is better than anything Kings Island has. My first RMC experience was everything I hoped it would be. I want one of those in Mason asap.

• Like 3

I'll be honest, while Storm Chaser was pretty good, it wasn't that overly good for me.  The portion from the first drop up to the 2nd roll was fine, but the double-ups and downs and the final helix section was very awkward in terms of the forces.  I felt like on one of those mechanical bulls, and not in a good way.  Personally, for steel coasters at KK, I give the edge to Lightning Run.  I think I would have liked T3 better if it weren't for that lap bar cutting of the circulation from my thighs and lower.  Some of the elements felt shaped in a weird way where it kind of has these pulses of weird forces throughout.  I did enjoy the layout overall and it was way smoother than I expected.  

Thunder Run, however, is the best coaster there to me, hands down.  

Also, whoever designed the paths on the water park side of the bridge (including placing T3, RRR, Skycatcher, and SC way out by themselves plus the way the bridge interacts with the paths) must have been on some serious drugs and boos.  

• Like 3

Agree with the weird forces on T3. At times it almost felt like ti was braking at points going through the elements even though I knew it wasn't actually. Made a very jarring experience. I didn't have the same issues with Storm Chaser but felt that the end kind of peters off a lot compared to the first half to 2/3 but was still decent.

The waterpark is great. On Friday crowds were light so we were able to do almost all of the waterslides in about 2 hours. After that spent some time in the lazy river and wave pool then hit up SC and LR again before heading out for the day around 3:30 to get an early start home. SC still only had one train but crowds were lighter so only took about 2 cycles to get on. LR had two trains going so only had to wait for one to dispatch.

• Like 3

And Storm Chaser... Wow! That ride is better than anything Kings Island has. My first RMC experience was everything I hoped it would be. I want one of those in Mason asap.

Wow, I can't believe I am going to disagree with someone posting something positive on this thread!  haha

Storm Chaser is an awesome coaster.  But, in my opinion, it does not touch The Beast or Diamondback.  But it is like comparing apples to oranges I guess.  After riding SC, a couple of enthusiast friends were discussing favorite coasters, and we all said that RMC needs to be in a different category by itself. (And they have been on many more coasters than I have!)

• Like 1

I would also like to clarify something in regards to Thunder Run, at least a notion I had in mind before riding it.

While it looks like a mirrored Hurler clone, there are a lot of differences in how they're designed.  The Hurler twins have everything way more stretched out.  Thunder Runs hills are a bit sharper in the curvatures at the top of its hills and the drops immediately go into the curves.  That first bunny hop is absolutely wicked, especially with that slight curve.  That entire first stretch of airtime hills are fantastic.  

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all,

Does anyone on here know how much parking is? I'm visiting the Kingdom this weekend and I'm super pumped. I tried calling, but they wanted me to leave a message (I didn't). Thank you in advance. 

-MDMC01

PS: Watch for a trip report when I come back :D

• Like 2