Kentucky Kingdom

• 3 weeks later...
There has been some mention of KK announcing the '18 and '19 plans this spring on some enthusiast social channels I follow.  Evidently the park mentioned this at an ACE's  No Coaster Con.  Anybody have any thoughts on what could be coming?

This might be a little bit "out there" but I'm really hoping for a Hyper

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

I wouldn't be surprised with something from B&M.  When KK first came back there was talk of having rides from some of the top manufacturers.  They already have RMC and Chance rides so I would expect something from B&M at some point over the next few years.  I wish KK luck.  I figure the more competition from KK and HW, the more Cedar Fair will invest in KI.

• Like 9

I think Kentucky Kingdom needs a standard looping coaster, and B&M would be able to pull it off. A floorless, standard or wing could work, but I think they need a good looper like KI has Vortex and SDC has Wildfire. Yes, I know some could count Storm Chaser as the looping coaster, but I'm talking in a more traditional sense of a looping coaster. 

• Like 4

Where in the world would they even put a coaster as dynamic as a B&M?  They're gridlocked as is and that line where all the taller coasters' lifts line up has nothing in terms of that kind of space.  A launched B&M that isn't very tall perhaps, but nothing like Chang.  I also don't think they need another coaster quite yet with what they've already spent along with their current spending rate (after Storm Chaser, their budget goes way down if you look at past proposals).  

• Like 2

Where in the world would they even put a coaster as dynamic as a B&M?  They're gridlocked as is and that line where all the taller coasters' lifts line up has nothing in terms of that kind of space.  A launched B&M that isn't very tall perhaps, but nothing like Chang.  I also don't think they need another coaster quite yet with what they've already spent along with their current spending rate (after Storm Chaser, their budget goes way down if you look at past proposals).  

I'm thinking the lift hill being close to Lightning Run to get the most height out of it. Than it does a turn near Deep Water Dive and stays low to the ground back behind T3. But I'm not an engineer

Between the waterpark and hotels, there is a large plot of land (20-30 acres IIRC) that the Fair Board has made available to the park, as well as the industrial areas near Storm Chaser for smaller expansion later on. (Supposedly, the Fair Board is not renewing leases as they expire.)  The large area has a height limit of 200' IIRC.

As to the contractual agreements, those are minimum required amounts.  I think the surge that Storm Chaser brought in might encourage spending on future attractions.

I'm excited about the future of this park. 

Edited by jtro223
Clarification on source. The comments about the land available in both sections was from a behind the scenes tour, and as such cannot be construed as official statements from the park.
  • Like 3

If anything, I think they should be developing more non-coaster attractions towards Storm Chaser as well as expanding the water park and then maybe add a coaster once you have a healthier amount of midway traffic going on.  Storm Chaser is nice, but its so far out of the way from the next nearest attractions (at least Mt Thunderbird at HW has more than the coaster at the end of its even longer, hillier path from the rest of the park) and I think some easier rides around what is a very intense coaster would be wise.   

• Like 1

Maybe that is the goal of Eye of the Storm? I'd agree more flats in the SC "midway" would balance out that section of the park. And if it's true that the fair board was going to offer the land that has the auto body repair shops and salvage yards currently, that would open up a whole swath that would connect SC to the amphitheater and the other 20-30 acres. But I think the park could be ready for another coaster in '19. Coasters drive attendance and flats and other attractions sustain in non coaster addition years. On a different note, I think the park needs to strengthen it's entertainment offerings. The sea lion show is great, and the high school talent shows are nice, but more is needed.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

• Like 1

On 1/25/2017 at 10:31 PM, jtro223 said:

Between the waterpark and hotels, there is a large plot of land (20-30 acres IIRC) that the Fair Board has made available to the park, as well as the industrial areas near Storm Chaser for smaller expansion later on. (Supposedly, the Fair Board is not renewing leases as they expire.)  The large area has a height limit of 200' IIRC.

As to the contractual agreements, those are minimum required amounts.  I think the surge that Storm Chaser brought in might encourage spending on future attractions.

I'm excited about the future of this park. 

I didn't realize that area was going to be available in the future...I had always pegged the park as landlocked. 

Anyways, I can't wait to head there this year and try out Eye of the Storm. KK has taken a very solid direction ever since Hart took back over. Lightning Run and Storm Chaser are very top tier coasters, quite a few of the flats and water slides are pretty fun, and I enjoy the direction their taking with admission including an all day drink wristband (or atleast last year)..Seems very Holiday World-esque, which is always welcome to see. Its a great park and a perfect location midway between KI and Holiday World, so I feel that as long as they don't overextend too much, its a perfect stopping place to spend the afternoon on a multiday trip for traveling enthusiasts (or a perfect 1 day trip for us locals).  I'm seriously debating if I want to get a season pass this year, but I usually only go to KK and HW once a summer...

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Kentucky Kingdom has posted their 2017 operating schedule, and the most interesting thing is that KK will only be open for the State Fair on the weekends and closed on the weekdays. The last weekday they are open is August 15, with the State Fair beginning on the 17th. I guess that tells us what the Fair Board thought about last year.

https://www.kentuckykingdom.com/experience/hours/

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I just wanted to share this video on here, I think it shows what major improvements the park has done since it re opened and when Six Flags Abandoned it,

Also I would like to let everyone know I will be at the park on the 25th of this month for a private Club TPR open house and you can be sure to see a trip report on it! Hopefully well be able to hop on some rides!

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

A couple of friends of mine were at the "Keys to the Kingdom" event today, really enjoyed seeing the updates.  Highlight for me was seeing new pathways around Thunder Run that apparently go all around the "front" turnaround and lots of new track and ledgers.  Also of interest was Enterprise.  Apparently it is on "life support" and at one time was going to be removed at the end of last season and that is where EOTS was going to go?  I wasn't there (darn work) so I can't say from first hand knowledge.  But lots of interesting tidbits.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, jtro223 said:

A couple of friends of mine were at the "Keys to the Kingdom" event today, really enjoyed seeing the updates.  Highlight for me was seeing new pathways around Thunder Run that apparently go all around the "front" turnaround and lots of new track and ledgers.  Also of interest was Enterprise.  Apparently it is on "life support" and at one time was going to be removed at the end of last season and that is where EOTS was going to go?  I wasn't there (darn work) so I can't say from first hand knowledge.  But lots of interesting tidbits.

I was there. Correct on Enterprise: It was scheduled for removal after the 2016 season, with Eye of the Storm taking its spot. Then in September, they decided to keep it around, forcing EOTS to be moved to another location. Also, Enterprise will only stick around as long as it has no major issues; the first major issue will likely result in its removal. This is due to the fact that replacement parts are difficult to obtain as they must be custom-made to order. Once removed, it will be broken down and sold to other parks for parts.

Also, heads-up: Kentucky Kingdom will be announcing both their 2018 and 2019 plans sometime next month.

EDIT: And yes, I took lots of photos. They're uploading to Flickr now, and I'll add a link to the album here when the upload finishes. I also plan to do a proper trip report, but that will probably wait until I get some sleep. It's 12:15 AM, I've been up since 5:30 AM yesterday, spent six hours driving (three hours each way), and still have a Formula 1 race to watch before I go to bed. :P

EDIT 2: It's done! Check out my photos here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/jcgoble3/sets/72157678434020234

Edited by jcgoble3
  • Like 6

Hi guys I also attended the Keys to the Kingdom event, here are some of the things that i caught.

• The Original chassis from T2 (now T3 but T3 has new trains) where exact replica of what Arrow Dynamics made. So in a sense, Vekoma copied and pasted Arrow's design.
  • On ride photo's will be returning for the 2017 season on T3!
  • A beer garden will be added into the catering pavilions
  • THIS WILL SHOOT DOWN ANY RUMORS OF WHY SIX FLAGS LEFT KENTUCKY KINGDOM IN 2010. Six flags wanted to have to pay no rent and the state had declined it, thus Six Flags abandoned the park and took two roller coasters with them.
  • As for right now, Thunder Run will not receive a second train but.............It is an option!
  • The carousel is unique to the park as it is the only one ever to stop in the same spot where it started on, which allows disabled guests to enter and exit the ride easily.
  • For expansion.........they still have 120 acres!
  • As long as the park's Enterprise is reliable it will stay. If one major breakdown occurs during this season, don't be to surprised to see it start to get removed this season.
  • Originally, Eye of the storm was going to replace Enterprise for this season and sit on the enterprises location but plans changed.
  • Until RMC came in with the idea of Storm Chaser, the park wanted to combine Twisted Twins and Thunder Run, extend the layout out near T3, and wanted to have the world's longest wooden roller coaster (which would break The Beast's record)
  • Operating hours have been in the idea of extended.
  • The Zeppelin kiddie ride is the only one left in The United States
  • Finally the 2018/2019 plans are set to be released in April of this year.

For pictures click here: https://coastermattproductions.wordpress.com/2017/03/26/keys-to-the-kingdom-2017/

• Like 9

12 hours ago, SonofBaconator said:

I always wondered if there was any KI, KK competition that would take the Kentucky market away from KI. 

I would think that a day at a park other than KI would be taking  some of the market.  I am a big fan of KK, but I spend more days at KI.  For me, it is nice to have an option to drive slightly more than an hour and ride some coasters that drive three hours for a long day at KI.  But KK can't fill the KI void.  That's why it's  nice to have options.

• Like 8

14 hours ago, SonofBaconator said:

I always wondered if there was any KI, KK competition that would take the Kentucky market away from KI. 

Mr Heart seemed specifically interested in people's opinions of Kings Island.  

13 hours ago, Drummermattk said:

• Ed hart himself teased the next coaster saying "If i want to add a 25-30 million dollar coaster"...................sounds like something from B&M if you ask me.

Incorrect.  Mr Hart responded to a hypothetical question posed to him.  The question asked if we was "granted a wish for anything at KK, what would it be?"  His response was that he wish he could know if adding a $20-$30M coaster would increase attendance significantly.  He said that otherwise, it would be too big of a gamble since the market had drastically changed from 20 years ago when a large attraction install meant large attendance results.  He then cited HW as an example saying they installed a B&M and their attendance went down.  He also cited the previous times of large coaster installs at KK came at a time when "Kings Island wasn't installing big coasters." 

I attended the event.  It was a very nice of the park to hold the tour, provide a free lunch and for Mr Hart to share his time with those that attended.  I had a good time, and have nothing but good things to say about the generosity they showed.

I will point out, that the most noteworthy thing of the day (for me) was when Mr Hart used the term "urban park."  Mr Hart recognizes the biggest challenges he faces at KK - and it has nothing to do with rides.  That was refreshing to hear.

• Like 13

1 hour ago, Shaggy said:

I will point out, that the most noteworthy thing of the day (for me) was when Mr Hart used the term "urban park."  Mr Hart recognizes the biggest challenges he faces at KK - and it has nothing to do with rides.  That was refreshing to hear.

To expand on that just a little: he talked about needing to "make Mom happy". He then went on to say that in parks away from urban areas, such as Holiday World and Kings Island, Mom often feels comfortable relaxing in a lounge chair and letting the kids go off on their own. But at a park in an urban area, like KK, Mom feels more need to stay with her kids and monitor them. So the park needs to be Mom-friendly and not just targeted at teens, by having plenty of family rides, shade, benches, good landscaping, and so forth.

• Like 6

Exciting stuff for Kentucky Kingdom ahead as it sounds! I'm hoping that the 25-30 million dollar coaster isn't a B&M hyper, I feel like they don't really need it and it would be a pointless addition. (Edit: Not really a pointless addition, but Lightning Run does the same thing as a B&M hyper)

22 minutes ago, rhyano said:

Exciting stuff for Kentucky Kingdom ahead as it sounds! I'm hoping that the 25-30 million dollar coaster isn't a B&M hyper, I feel like they don't really need it and it would be a pointless addition. (Edit: Not really a pointless addition, but Lightning Run does the same thing as a B&M hyper)

This is what irks me about enthusiasts... something MR Hart said was taken completely out of context, posted here and now people are passing it as truth.  Mr Hart NEVER said a $25-$30M coaster was coming to KK.  He said he'd like to install one, but until he has proof that it would significantly boost attendance, it's too much of a gamble.

I have no doubt something big will come to KK... eventually... but I'm not holding my breath.  He's got bigger fish to fry...

• Like 7

23 minutes ago, Shaggy said:

This is what irks me about enthusiasts... something MR Hart said was taken completely out of context, posted here and now people are passing it as truth.  Mr Hart NEVER said a $25-$30M coaster was coming to KK.  He said he'd like to install one, but until he has proof that it would significantly boost attendance, it's too much of a gamble.

I have no doubt something big will come to KK... eventually... but I'm not holding my breath.  He's got bigger fish to fry...

so you're saying we can't speculate on what that 25-30 million dollar coaster could be? Not trying to start a fight over the forums but..