What`s next for Son of Beast?

fighting31irish

Jasper and I were waiting in line to ride Slingshot yesterday and overheard a patron having a conversation about SOB with a Kings Island employee. The employee stated that SOB was going to be torn down and in it's place, there was going to be an "enormous steel coaster" constructed for the 40th anniversary in 2012. I find that hard to believe with the given financial standing. Has anyone heard anything similar from a source a little more reliable than that guy???

• Like 1

I heard that in the winter months it dies - but in the spring, it comes to life again. Wait a minute - that's my peach tree! Son of a b......

It's just another rumor - and the chance of an employee knowing anything about SOB's future are about as good as my chance of winning Powerball!

• Like 1

Jasper and I were waiting in line to ride Slingshot yesterday and overheard a patron having a conversation about SOB with a Kings Island employee. The employee stated that SOB was going to be torn down and in it's place, there was going to be an "enormous steel coaster" constructed for the 40th anniversary in 2012. I find that hard to believe with the given financial standing. Has anyone heard anything similar from a source a little more reliable than that guy???

Was this patron by any chance talking to a Dippin' Dots guy?

I heard that in the winter months it dies - but in the spring, it comes to life again. Wait a minute - that's my peach tree! Son of a b......

It's just another rumor - and the chance of an employee knowing anything about SOB's future are about as good as my chance of winning Powerball!

Still laughing...Funny post

I have to say though in August of last year a park employee told me he didn't think SOB would be open this season.

So would ya mind sharing your Powerball picks?

• Like 1

There should be a rule in the TOS that says you can't post stuff you heard from employees. Seriously. They say just about everything and know close to nothing. If the GM of the park won't say for sure what it's fate is, why would they give that information to a seasonal employee who could spill it like that? They wouldn't.

<_<

I was dying laughing at a lot of these posts. I assumed it was not true. I'm no where near as savvy as most of you when it comes to coasters and the workings of them all, but like I told Jasper on the loooooooooooooong ride home yesterday, I find it VERY hard to believe that they could get a new ride on back-to-back years. Where in the hell would that money come from??? I mean, WindSeeker can't be terribly expensive, but still...

I was dying laughing at a lot of these posts. I assumed it was not true. I'm no where near as savvy as most of you when it comes to coasters and the workings of them all

Don't let the haters get you down, it was a legitimate post. However, just be aware that the typical ride associate at that level isn't involved in any major capital expenditure decision making or given any real privileged information such as that.

Welcome to KIC!

I was dying laughing at a lot of these posts. I assumed it was not true. I'm no where near as savvy as most of you when it comes to coasters and the workings of them all

Don't let the haters get you down, it was a legitimate post. However, just be aware that the typical ride associate at that level isn't involved in any major capital expenditure decision making or given any real privileged information such as that.

Welcome to KIC!

This is coming from the employee that also said that he met Joe Girardi 4 years ago when the Yankees and Reds played an exhibition series, I am assuming he meant maybe the Marlins because Girardi has only been managing the Yankees for 3 seasons now as he took over in 2008.

Welcome to KIC!

I actually figured it wasn't true...I just wanted to know for sure. The guy was not too reputable-a-character. I was wondering why in the Hell they would release that information to the bottom of the corporate chain and not to the adoring public.

Funny enough, one employee was correct during my trip at the beginning of August. I was on Zephyr with my daughter and near the end of the ride, he said "Enjoy the rest of your day at Kings Island. Soon to be home of the world's largest swing!......Juuuuuuuuuuuust kidding"

:P

I wouldn`t look too much into it. 2012 is still a ways off. And as Gordon Bombay said, it is VERY unlikely that front line workers really know what is in store for 2012. How many people knew about WindSeeker until a few days before KI said we are going to announce a new ride for 2011?

To quote the saying that I often bring up, those who know don`t tell, and those who tell, don`t know.

"Quack quack quack Mr. Ducksworth."

I wasn`t doubting you Sheikra Rocks. I would be thrilled just as much as the next guy (or lady) if Kings Island received a new coaster in 2012. Do I see it happening? Potentially, but it is still early. A lot can happen between now and even the start of the 2011 season. Let alone the start of the 2012 season.

I wouldn`t say that ride ops don`t know anything. They have a very important responsibility. They are responsible for running the ride in a safe manner and ensuring the safety of the guests on the ride. They must fully understand their training, be able to handle difficult situations with sometimes belligerent customers, and work in extreme heat. Trust me, I have worked as a ride operator at Coney for nine years now (and been a post season manager the last two years. I have had to deal with a lot of unruly customers, and as a manager, had to try and appease angry customers. It is a job that is not for everyone.

I will go so far as to stay that if at least one of the Superman: Tower of Power ride ops at Kentucky Kingdom had done their job differently on that ill fated day, that park might well have just closed for the season last weekend...instead of being closed for the season (and the next one, at the very least). More importantly, a girl would not have been so grievously injured, if at all. Ride operators have awesome responsibility, and most discharge their duties exceedingly well.

I will go so far as to stay that if at least one of the Superman: Tower of Power ride ops at Kentucky Kingdom had done their job differently on that ill fated day, that park might well have just closed for the season last weekend...instead of being closed for the season (and the next one, at the very least). More importantly, a girl would not have been so grievously injured, if at all. Ride operators have awesome responsibility, and most discharge their duties exceedingly well.

As do virtually park employees! I venture to say that the safest place to be in any park is on a ride!

There was an article a few years back stating that how with how much responsibility those kids carry, they're one of the most underpaid workers in any industry.