Winterfest 2011

Creed Bratton

Apparently if you like the Kings Island Winterfest Facebook Page found here: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Kings-Island-Winterfest/273402536007088?sk=wall and enough people like it as well Kings Island will bring back Winterfest.

I would love to see Winterfest back at KI but I know why they won't have it. I know tons of people are disappointed that it won't be back.

Thought you all would enjoy this find!

• 2 weeks later...

OldiesMan and TylerRider you must not have got my sarcasm :D

I don't see this event returning in the near future (not even in 10 years).

Jdawg1998, I've never attended the Beach's Holiday Fest. However, due to the size of the Beach I'm sure the operating costs for Holiday Fest are much less than Winter Fest.

For a couple weeks at Christmas time I wish they'd open the shops, Starbucks, and maybe fire up the "Starlight" lights at night...no big deal, just have International Street open. They could charge $5 to park, sell pics with Santa, etc. to help make it profitable.

• Like 1

For a couple weeks at Christmas time I wish they'd open the shops, Starbucks, and maybe fire up the "Starlight" lights at night...no big deal, just have International Street open. They could charge $5 to park, sell pics with Santa, etc. to help make it profitable.

They would have to charge a lot more for parking, to get in the gate, and for pictures just to break even.

• 2 weeks later...

Why did Winterfest not work while The Beach Waterpark Holiday Fest has good attendance?

Partly because Holiday Fest is cheaper and is included for anyone with a season pass for either the current or the next season. When KI brought WF back, they charged for everything they could and season passes weren't valid.

Plus it was brought back half-heartedly as a last ditch attempt to make the parks appear like they could function as year-round parks steeped in tradition and family-friendly activities. It also happens that the year it was brought back was one of the coldest in years, leading to miserable conditions.

When it's all said and done, I personally believe that modern Kings Island simply can't support such an event. For example, Busch Gardens' Christmastown event utilizes its incredible cultural setting and operates their dark rides and a roller coaster or two. Kings Island does not currently have the themeing or setting to make a Christmas event immersive, and is too far North to operate its roller coasters during a typical Ohio winter. Plus, given the company that runs the park, everything would be an up-charge. How much would a hot chocolate cost? How much to rent a pair of skates? Really think about that.

Even if some online community could muster up 10,000 signatures, would each of those 10,000 people promise to come to the park and buy tickets and food if anything really were done? Otherwise, what use is it?

And let's also remember: while customers are fantastic, they're not the only top priority. If a viral marketing campaign managed to get 100,000 signatures to re-open Son of Beast, it still wouldn't pay for even a cent of the reconstruction necessary just to get the thing operating safely, and that money is important. Plus, how many of us here have already bought or will buy our 2012 season passes whether or not Kings Island speaks a single word about Son of Beast? Most of us have or will, and that speaks volumes to the park.

Petitions rarely work in my experience, if only because anyone who actually feels committed to something does something about it. A petition to end hunger America? Seriously? In the same vein as that "you've already bought a pass regardless" notion, they know that Son of Beast can't be that important to you if you've already paid for the entirety of next season without it. You buying park tickets says much more than your "electronic signature" via liking a Facebook page.