Standing within' 3 feet of 1974

standbyme

• 5 months later...

I just now have been able to get around to going through this thread. Standbyme did a great job and it sure brought back a lot of good memories of the park when I first started attending. Hannah Barbera Land was so enchanting to me during this time. The place seemed to be borderline magical for me. The ivy tunnel, The Racer, KCKC, Boulder Bumpers, seeing all of my favorite characters walking the park. The best part of it was being with my family there. There were so many rides we could enjoy as a family, like Tumblebug, Der Spinnin Keggers, Rotor, and many others.

• Like 5

I was looking over the unlighted fountains last night at about 9:30. I miss seeing the lights in the fountains, the tower floodlit (in its original pattern), and all the rooftop lights (now blocked by the broad leaf trees)... and hearing the symphony music.... and so on, and so forth.  :(

• Like 10

I was looking over the unlighted fountains last night at about 9:30. I miss seeing the lights in the fountains, the tower floodlit (in its original pattern), and all the rooftop lights (now blocked by the broad leaf trees)... and hearing the symphony music.... and so on, and so forth.  :(

You aren't alone in this sentiment TB. There was just something magical about it at night, after a long hot day with the coasters. Something I'll cherish for the rest of my life!

• Like 2

Yep, when the sun went down, the glow strings came out and it was time for a Character drink. Those old enough know what I'm talking about. I think if the brought back the instrumental music to I-street it would help bring back that relaxing feeling watching the fountain dance in it's lights. Not the edgy feeling of the top 40 garbage blowing out the speakers and making you want to take a Valium. Then after close you took the slow calm ride on the trams back to your car. I miss those days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 7

Had some downtime today at work and spent a little while going back through this thread.  Enjoyed it just as much as I did the first time going through.  Even though I wasn't around in 1974, I did grow up at the park in the 80s and there were still some similarities.  I love looking at the old pictures of the park.  It brings back great memories.  Again, great job!

• Like 3

It's nice to see a new generation discover this thread.  :)  I did have a good time doing it. I started a new job 4 years ago and do not have the same amount of spare time/vacation time that I did back when I created this thread.  :(

I am sitting on a couple of sets of older slides that I do plan on giving the "standing within' 3 feet" treatment to if I ever get the time....but there never seems to be enough time to do the things you wanna do once you find them...

• Like 9

This has been one of the best threads on this forum. I have been going to KI since 1974 and it's funny how much you forget. There's awesome things about the old, equally awesome things currently. Thanks for the effort, it's been a great read.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

• Like 3

• 9 months later...

Spring has officially sprung and with an influx of new members thanks to Mysty, I thought I'd bump my favorite thread in the history of this site.  Seriously if you haven't read thru it, take some time, start from the beginning and just start enjoying some time travel.

Oh, and if stand by me is still out there occasionally reading (been a while since I've seen him post) we need an update to photo set #1 :)

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/20/2017 at 2:55 PM, medford said:

....I thought I'd bump my favorite thread in the history of this site....Oh, and if standbyme is still out there occasionally reading (been a while since I've seen him post) we need an update to photo set #1 :)

medford, thank you for the kind words. I am glad that the post still holds up after all these years. :)

(I do stop in quite a lot...I just feel out of touch adding to most of the conversations so I have just become a lurker.) 

• Like 4

• 2 years later...
On 3/20/2017 at 3:55 PM, medford said:

Spring has officially sprung and with an influx of new members thanks to Mysty, I thought I'd bump my favorite thread in the history of this site.  Seriously if you haven't read thru it, take some time, start from the beginning and just start enjoying some time travel.

Oh, and if stand by me is still out there occasionally reading (been a while since I've seen him post) we need an update to photo set #1 :)

bumpity bump bump bump.  Everything I said this time 3 years ago still applies.  If you need a diversion during these times, this is a great thread to get lost in.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Joshua said:

What was Diamondback's gift shop used for originally? 

It was a little general store/kettlekorn stand and I believe that was also where they had the old-fashioned photos, and then a wrap-around porch that overlooked the old country/western outdoor show stage which was where the Diamondback station now stands. And then where the Diamondback overflow switchbacks are, there was a place where you could pan for gold. It felt like an old Rivertown Main Street.

• Like 1