Kings Island creative team?

ds440

I'm a lurker here on KIC and had a question:

Does Kings Island or Cedar Fair employ a team of creative professionals (i.e. Graphic Designers, 3D Designers, Architects, Engineers, or Marketers) for the purpose of developing theming and environmental design within the park?

Take, for example, Diamondback. I realize that B&M designed the coaster itself and have read that Adena was the general contractor, but who developed/designed the station, the line queue, the theming/logos/marketing materials? Is that done in-house by Kings Island, or do they hire outside vendors to develop the entire marketing package and surrounding environments? Do they have a preferred vendor(s) to accomplish such a task? Or is each project different and sent out to bid? It doesn't have to be ride specific.....it could be anything from a new attraction (Dinosaurs Alive or Haunt attraction, for example) to a new food stand/restaurant.

Basically, are there Kings Island Imagineers (Islandeers?)?

Thanks in advance!

They have planning and marketing people, but I think you're asking more along the line of imagineers and creative teams, not necessarily graphic designers.

From what I recall the Interpreter saying, Paramount Parks had their own version of "Imagineers" / "Universal Creative" / the people who sit down and envision what new possibilities they can find and work them up into attractions. That department was cut even before Cedar Fair bought the parks.

A. Architectural firms are contracted to design stations, buildings, etc.

B. Just recently, a different company (the old was Yellow Submarine of Pittsburgh) was contracted to handle much of the promotion. There are in house people, as well, a la the incomparable Don Helbig. And a nice lady with Disney connections was brought on at Sandusky, while Robin Innes pursues other opportunities.

Terp, who just came from teaching at a national conference where the attendees were told to use critical thinking and become Solutioneers (yes, a Disney reference, and no, it was not Terp who said it...it was a generally insightful comment, so to speak...the week prior he was engaged in planning something or other at and onsite in West Virginia's Eastern Panhandle...always tell the truth, people will never believe you!)

Yes, Cedar Fair has a planning and design department, based in Sandusky. It is headed by Rob Decker. They come up with the initial concept designs for buildings. They then pass those concepts off to an architectural firm who turns those concepts into a real buildable design. There is actually a small architecture firm here in Cincinnati that does the architectural work for Kings Island, and has done several other parks as well (Dorney Park, Carowinds, Kings Dominion, to name a few). This firm has been doing the architecture work at Kings Island since the early 1990s. I was actually fortunate enough to have co-oped at this firm for six months and was able to work on some amusement park projects! It was a very exciting co-op position!

I have forgotten to say this from the amazement that there is a design/theming dept from Cedar Fair, which is that there is a floral dept that is mentioned by the g.m. of k.i. and is seen around the park sometimes.

• 4 weeks later...

...There is actually a small architecture firm here in Cincinnati that does the architectural work for Kings Island, and has done several other parks as well (Dorney Park, Carowinds, Kings Dominion, to name a few). This firm has been doing the architecture work at Kings Island since the early 1990s. I was actually fortunate enough to have co-oped at this firm for six months and was able to work on some amusement park projects! It was a very exciting co-op position!

Who is the firm?