KINGS ISLAND TO LAUNCH “COUNTDOWN TO 40” CAMPAIGN ON TWITTER

Kings Island TO LAUNCH “COUNTDOWN TO 40” CAMPAIGN ON TWITTER TO CELEBRATE 40TH ANNIVERSARY SEASON

Tickets, unique experiences, merchandise among 40 prizes for fans through Opening Day, April 28

Kings Island, Ohio – Kings Island announced Monday the 364-acre amusement and waterpark will launch a “Countdown to 40” campaign on Twitter to celebrate the 364-acre amusement and waterpark’s 40th anniversary season.

The campaign, which begins March 20 at Twitter.com/KingsIslandPR, will consist of daily trivia questions related to Kings Island history and the 2012 season. Park admission tickets, behind the scenes experiences and merchandise are among the 40 prizes for fans every day through Opening Day, April 28. A VIP Tour for up to four guests will be the grand prize given away on the final day of the promotion.

Kings Island fans must follow the park on Twitter (@KingsIslandPR) in order to participate in the promotion. A trivia question or retweet request will be posted daily and fans must include #KingsIsland40 in their response to be eligible to win. Winners will be contacted by Kings Island via Twitter.

Official rules for the “Countdown to 40” promotion are available online at visitkingsisland.com/online-fun.

post-2-0-89881900-1333498409_thumb.jpg

Is it just me or do these "prizes" for getting the answers right for this promo slack a bit (although I like some of these prizes they have given away so far) :

-Flight Deck T-shirt $17

-Kings Island Sinch Bag $10

-Diamondback license Plate cover $3

-Halloween Haunt Hat $12

-4 piece shot glass set (Best gift so far) $10

-Charlie Brown Alarm Clock $10

Now I know that the bigger prizes are coming later on in this contest but it seems they would want to pull all the stops out for this 40th year promotion. But I believe once again we are getting the rope-a-dope just to gain more followers on twitter. Maybe i'm greedy but I would like to see gifts such as:

-Parking pass

-Fast Lane (for 2 people) Coupon

-All-You-Can Eat pass for KI

-A free meal coupon

-Free Cabana with pool side service in Soak City

-2 Halloween Haunt passes (Might be coming later)

-2 passes for Dinosaur's Alive! w/ 3D movie passes (Might be coming later)

-2 Gold passes

-2 Platinum Passes

-Free Park tickets (I know these are coming later)

-Behind the Scene tours of The Beast, Diamondback, and other rides. (I know these are coming later)

-2 day, 1 nights stay at the Great Wolf Lodge for 4 plus park passes.

Maybe I am greedy but I think these would be outstanding prizes for their promotion. I think a park that is as big as KI can afford them. Maybe they have these planned for later in the contest (I mean there are STILL 4 weeks left in the contest) but they definitely could give out more prizes like these. What do you folks think about the promotion so far? Are these prizes fair/unfair? Were you expecting better/worse prizes? Is it just a promotion mainly to gain more followers on twitter?

I know but according to their promotion online that's not the case...

http://www.visitkingsisland.com/what-s-new/new-ki-40th-anniversary-celebration

Where? It all looks right to me...until the park opens. They are celebrating 40 years, the 40th anniversary, but you said this is the park's 40th year. It is not. That was last year.

The prize today (2 tickets for KI Opening Day) was better.

One prize that I would like to see: 5 questions with Don Helbig or Greg Scheid. Assuming that KI would want to censor the questions(no SoB questions, etc.), this could still be fun. They could possibly give us small hints about upcoming attractions, different rides, and other things pertaining to KI.

Otherwise, I think the promotion is fun, and gets people excited about the new season. Example: today's question was about the Rivertown French Fries. Now, after reading a question about those french fries, doesn't that make you say, "Oh man, I could go for some of those french fries!" I know, it's only food, but it maybe adds another reason for people to hit up KI this season.

Happy 40th! (anniversary, not year. Thanks Terp.)

I don't like the rules. Even if you don't know the answer, if you look at the replies on Twitter and the majority say one answer, you just wait until the ninth person to tweet and then you tweet it. Ding ding ding, you're a winner.

I have replied pretty much in the 5 seconds they post the question, and usually fall right around the tenth who post, so there really is no time to look and see what the correct answer is (until they get to whoever the 40th person who posts wins, you might have time to pull that off)

On another note, I now have a Charlie Brown Alarm Clock!

• Like 3

Is this account run by Don Helbig?

Because today, out of curiosity, I looked at @KingsIslandPr's profile. While looking at the accounts that KingsIslandPR follows, I saw that he followed such accounts as Six Flags Over Texas, Universal Orlando, and the Gravity Group. I thought that was interesting. I could understand the Gravity Group follow, but why SFOT or Universal Orlando? It's probably just as simple as a follow, but I thought KI would only associate with fellow CF parks.

Why wouldn't an industry insider have friends at other chains and follow public pronouncements at other parks? For many, many years, the chief spokesperson at Great Adventure happily answered Beast at Kings Island when asked what was her favorite roller coaster. She also looked up to the one and only, esteemed Ruth Voss.

Doesn't anyone want a Diamondback model train? There still haven't been 20 correct replies, hours after the question was posted. (There have been 15, give or take, as some people may have deleted an earlier reply to try again)

Hint: the answer is in a forum reply on this site. (Don't forget to follow @KingsIslandPR first and include hashtag #KingsIsland40)

For those that do not have twitter and interested in today's trivia, the question today was "What year were season passes introduced at Kings Island?"

The answer: "Kings Island season passes were introduced the year The Beast opened in 1979."

This really needs to be on the KIC history timeline!

Guest KingsIslandPR

There have been 15, give or take, as some people may have deleted an earlier reply to try again

You only get one chance to reply so if you delete your answer to try again your first response has already been tracked.
  • Like 1

Why is it stretching it? Today I was asked what the oldest building at Six Flags Over Texas is.

And the answer there is very akin to the answer at KI...which would in fact make a great KI 40th Anniversary question.

SFOT is celebrating a 50th Anniversary AND 51 seasons of FUN. Marketers after Terpy's heart. Go BIG!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Coasterfanatic 2012 and I were in line for Beast when the grand prize question was sent out. Luckily I knew the answer and Caleb can text really fast. We won 4 VIP passes!

Thank you to whoever talked about Dan Patrick in one of these threads over the offseason. You are the reason I knew the answer.

Coasterfanatic 2012 and I were in line for Beast when the grand prize question was sent out. Luckily I knew the answer and Caleb can text really fast. We won 4 VIP passes!

Thank you to whoever talked about Dan Patrick in one of these threads over the offseason. You are the reason I knew the answer.

Its gonna be freakin fun :)