Drink Wristbands

FOFreak

Okay, I know I have been on this site long enough that I should probably know this question by now. But how much are drink wristbands at Kings Island? I only visit the park once a year and I'm trying to avoid Cedar Fairs horrid drink prices. Also, how do I go about getting one of these? I do believe in past years it has been only for passholders, hopefully this has been changed though.

Wait...only $5?

Do you need to be a season pass holder to get these...because if not...

1 Kings Island Ticket: $30.99+$5 Drink Wristband=$35.99 to visit Kings Island plus unlimited soda...(Kroger Discount Ticket Price)

1 Holiday World Ticket, with max $7 discount: $37.99

Umm...if this is the case, suddenly, the "Holiday World is a better value than KI" argument just got murdered.

Yes, I am also aware that Kings Island wants $12 for parking, and has Coke, not Pepsi...but, from central Indiana, hmm...better do some math- this is how much it would cost me and 3 friends/family members to visit both parks:

Kings Island

4 Tickets: $30.99x4=$123.96

Parking: $12.00

Gas (From Central Indiana, 127 Miles, 25mpg car, Gas Price $3.75 per gallon): $38.10

Drink Wristbands: 4 x$5= $20.00

Total Cost: $194.06

Holiday World

4 Tickets: $37.99x4=$151.96

Parking: $0.00

Gas (Same Values, distance now 180 Miles): $54.00

Drink Wristbands: Not Needed

Total Cost: $205.96

Well, it's only an $11 difference here...I guess the choice boils down to wether you want tons of huge thrill rides (Kings Island) or a massive waterpark (Holiday World)...now, if this is only a Season Pass item, it makes getting a KI season pass well worth it, especially when they are $69.99 during haunt...

I'm not understanding this completely; what is the catch? Do you get 1 20 oz paper cup and have to carry it around with you all day to get the unlimited refills for $5?

If not, what's to prevent abuse? A family of 4 buying 1 wrist band, then hitting different stands throughout the park, handing off a new drink to each family member, etc.?

I personally prefer water on a hot day, and they've succeeded in making the free ice waters annoying -- 2 sips. If you get a new cup each time that you don't have to carry around, I'd consider spending the $5 just to get large, 20 oz iced waters all day.

Gotta step in and add my two cents or nickles accroding to terpy... :-)

Yes, I am also aware that Kings Island wants $12 for parking, and has Coke, not Pepsi...but, from central Indiana, hmm...better do some math- this is how much it would cost me and 3 friends/family members to visit both parks:

Kings Island

4 Tickets: $30.99x4=$123.96

Parking: $12.00

Gas (From Central Indiana, 127 Miles, 25mpg car, Gas Price $3.75 per gallon): $38.10

Drink Wristbands: 4 x$5= $20.00

Total Cost: $194.06

Holiday World

4 Tickets: $37.99x4=$151.96

Parking: $0.00

Gas (Same Values, distance now 180 Miles): $54.00

Drink Wristbands: Not Needed

Total Cost: $205.96

Well, it's only an $11 difference here...I guess the choice boils down to wether you want tons of huge thrill rides (Kings Island) or a massive waterpark (Holiday World)...now, if this is only a Season Pass item, it makes getting a KI season pass well worth it, especially when they are $69.99 during haunt...

First off gas is the same for me driving from indy to HW or KI. I drive a 2001 Saturn SL1 40 mpg and both trips take right around 3/4 of a tank. The difference is the path you take to HW is back roads so you don't drive fast 60-65 mph while getting to KI is Highway 70-80mph. Plus the distance for KI you have correct from Indianapolis is 127 miles but the distance to HW is 144 miles not 180 (even though that is interstate)... So that cancel the gas difference.

But If you must add costs... then you must add the cost of lockers if you go to the water sections of the parks. I went with 4 people and had to spend $30 dollars that you DONT GET BACK at KI on lockers... At HW you spend $10 but you get $5 back. So you should add the $20 difference if you buy two lockers (or $10 if you get just one locker).

Add $2-4 if you want to ride FH. (nitpicking yes, but its a fact)

To say KI v. HW better value argument is destroyed is a bit silly.

I think it depends on what you are looking for. I will agree with you on the fact that the parks are completely different. Dry thrills versus water thrills. And mostly they are even on price. But that is only because they just introduced the $5 drink bands this year. I still think HW is a better value with shorter wait times, better food, cleanliness, friendliness, and a water park that is unmatched by any other seasonal park. The only thing KI has on HW are thrill rides, IMO. </Rant Over/> Lo siento

• Like 1

Or, if you want to ride FH, buy shorts with zipper pockets. Best money I've ever spent.

True but some people still bring backpacks or bags. Just like some people would buy a $52 KI ticket at the gate instead of buying a discounted ticket from kroger.

Ahh...the lockers...that would be a "value" changer for sure, but when I went to HW last year (only time we ever used a locker, and paid $10 for it, got $5 back) we just got one and "stuffed" it...never used the lockers at KI, even for Firehawk...in part due to the high prices. (We also bring our own food and eat in the parking lot, this happened at both KI and Holiday World, but we have eaten in the parks too...me and the group I usually go with are real "penny-pinchers"...)

I was just comparing the "base" entry costs + drinks for the two parks. Obviously, things like food, lockers, souvenirs, and that stuff will be a factor- and I'm pretty sure Holiday World is cheaper in those categories.

As for the "180 miles to HW" thing...I got that number from a website, and I'm pretty sure they were using the "common" interstate route...which HW's website even suggests you use, so I used that "distance" for the math.

PS, I didn't mean to come off like I was "hatin'" on Holiday World. No, quite the opposite is true- I love it. A lot. I just was pointing out it's not as dirt cheap compared to other parks as some would make it seem- but it is still worth every penny.

So I'm still slightly confused... Can you buy unlimited drink wristbands for the 20 oz paper cups for $5? Or is it limited to refills for the souvenir plastic cups? If you can get the wristband without the souvenir cup, why am I told on Twitter that you have to get the souvenir cup for $10 and add on unlimited refills for $5, and if I want an unlimited drink wristband for the 20 oz cups, I have to be with a group and they cost $10 for each wristband? :blink:

I am still also confused.

I went with a group last year and we got the drink wristband for the regular paper cups throughout the park. For each person in our group, they cost $10 each. I was hoping that the park sold something like this to non-passholders.

Some say yes they do. Some say they do not.

PS, I didn't mean to come off like I was "hatin'" on Holiday World. No, quite the opposite is true- I love it. A lot. I just was pointing out it's not as dirt cheap compared to other parks as some would make it seem- but it is still worth every penny.

I'm sure you didn't mean to come off like that. You actually proved a good point. I was throwing out my opinion on it because its the little things that you get nickel and dime you to death that set me off a bit <Lockers, food prices(especially for ice cream/snacks), drinks, etc... I think that happens more at KI. But you will get that when you pull over 3 million people annually to a park.

I enjoy both parks for different reasons. KI for thrills and HW for more relaxing/family fun plus one heck of a coaster, The Voyage.

So I'm still slightly confused... Can you buy unlimited drink wristbands for the 20 oz paper cups for $5? Or is it limited to refills for the souvenir plastic cups? If you can get the wristband without the souvenir cup, why am I told on Twitter that you have to get the souvenir cup for $10 and add on unlimited refills for $5, and if I want an unlimited drink wristband for the 20 oz cups, I have to be with a group and they cost $10 for each wristband? :blink:

Absolutely, anyone can buy a $5 wristband and get 20oz unlimited drinks. If you have a souvenir cup they'll fill that as well. Those with Gold/Platinum passes can sign up for Funperks and get one free wristband to start with, and other awards as they spend money and/or visit the park (separate thread on that). it's a *great* deal. And they'll always fill the souvenir cup with icewater for free too, which we often switch to when it's hot.

Used my Funperks wristband Saturday. You get a new 20oz paper cup each place you go.

Added tip:

Skyline, Outer Hanks, ET drink stand and maybe other stands we missed also serve fresh brewed sweet and unsweetened tea for those of us who don't care for soft drinks. Warning, Chik-fil-A does NOT participate in this deal.

There is a $5 wristband that gives you unlimited refills for the souvenir cup which costs ~$10.

There is a separate $5 wristband that gives you unlimited 20 ounce fountain drinks in a paper cup. You do not need to save the cup. This is not only a great deal, it's perfect for us because we do not like to carry anything around the park. On FH and similar rides, I put my phone and few other belongings in a zipper pocket on my shorts, and never have to worry about a locker nor about anything falling out. It's great not to have to lug around the souvenir cup and figure out what to do with it.

Also, they will refill previous years souv. cups, at least at the $1.99 price last year. I have not tried this year, as we have just drank water...using the previous years cups.

BTW - Anyone know where to redeem the wristband from the funperks thing now? When we were there Sunday, there was no table set up by processing to do it.

The $5 is for unlimited refills for your souvenir cup.

I'm not sure this is totally true. Me and 2 of my friends (all season pass holders) went and 1 of us got the wristband. He didn't have to carry the cup with him at all and he didn't get a souvenir cup. At each stand he just showed his wristband and they gave him a new cup with whatever drink he wanted. IDK if thats how its intended to be used, but that is how he used it.