New Site Layout?

I know it's a unpopular decision but ad payouts arnt what they used to be, expecially during the off season.

This is all the ads their will ever be. I hate pop ups, pop unders, or any new which way they are sneeking ads in on people. KIC will never accept/ask for donations, we would rather be the ones donating to your Coasting for Kids pages as we have done in the past.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

• Like 12

Question for the technically minded here (and Dane, since he knows how the payouts on the ads work):

I know browser extensions like AdBlock Plus completely block ads, to the point that site owners receive no ad revenue from visitors with that extension running. Since I don't want to see the ads, but at the same time don't want to deprive KIC of revenue, I'm wondering what would happen from a revenue standpoint if I set custom CSS code (using the Stylish extension for Firefox) to apply "display: none;" to the ad elements. In theory, I would think that the ad would still be loaded, thereby providing revenue, just not shown. However, I don't know anything about how the ads work, so I don't know whether that is indeed the case, or if applying "display: none;" would block the revenue as well.

And yes, thanks for all you do, Dane. :)

• Like 2

Since I don't want to see the ads, but at the same time don't want to deprive KIC of revenue, I'm wondering what would happen from a revenue standpoint if I set custom CSS code (using the Stylish extension for Firefox) to apply "display: none;" to the ad elements.

Revenue from pay-per-click ads would be affected only if you would have otherwise clicked them. CPM revenue would be affected, as advertisers are paying to be seen by a human 1,000 times. CPM rates, however, tend to be low for sites that get much of their traffic from repeat visitors.

I use the NoScript add-on for Firefox, so I didn't notice the change. This doesn't block ads per se, but all JavaScript is rejected except from whitelisted domains.

• Like 2

Question for the technically minded here (and Dane, since he knows how the payouts on the ads work):

I know browser extensions like AdBlock Plus completely block ads, to the point that site owners receive no ad revenue from visitors with that extension running. Since I don't want to see the ads, but at the same time don't want to deprive KIC of revenue, I'm wondering what would happen from a revenue standpoint if I set custom CSS code (using the Stylish extension for Firefox) to apply "display: none;" to the ad elements. In theory, I would think that the ad would still be loaded, thereby providing revenue, just not shown. However, I don't know anything about how the ads work, so I don't know whether that is indeed the case, or if applying "display: none;" would block the revenue as well.

And yes, thanks for all you do, Dane. :)

I was thinking about doing that too!

And that's what I've always thought, that the ads are still technically there, but just not shown. (But I'm no tech genius so I have no idea.)

Goble my best guess is credit will still be provided for the view, although actual clicks generate much more revenue. This is also a experiment as both Adsense and Analytics both track page views. Therefore you can see how many users are using ad blocking programs.

Members originally not being shown ads goes back to when it was recommended to us to start a "premium program" for users.

• Like 3

Goble my best guess is credit will still be provided for the view, although actual clicks generate much more revenue. This is also a experiment as both Adsense and Analytics both track page views. Therefore you can see how many users are using ad blocking programs.

OK, thanks. I think I'll leave them alone for now, but I'll keep the CSS solution in reserve in case they start to become really annoying. :)

• Like 1

Members originally not being shown ads goes back to when it was recommended to us to start a "premium program" for users.

If you happen to know the answer, how would the use of Tapatalk affect the numbers from Adsense and Analytics? Would a page view be counted at all?

On another somewhat unrelated question, did KIC get a new favicon, or have I just literally never noticed that we have one? It seems like I recall the site always using the InvisionPower logo, but now there seems to be a neat little blue logo that says "KI". Not that it matters much, I'm sure the number of people who notice the favicon on any given site is pretty close to zero.

• Like 2

If you happen to know the answer, how would the use of Tapatalk affect the numbers from Adsense and Analytics? Would a page view be counted at all?

Tapatalk would not create revenue from website ads, but they have their own advertisement/monetization system for forum owners (which Dane might want to look into if he hasn't already). Note that those who paid for Tapatalk Pro (previously Tapatalk 4) before Pro was discontinued now have VIP benefits in the free app, meaning (among other things) that they do not see ads on any forum, even if the forum owner has enabled them. I am one of those users, since I bought Tapatalk 4 right after release when it was on sale for $0.99 and there was no free version (other than the no-longer-supported public beta).

On another somewhat unrelated question, did KIC get a new favicon, or have I just literally never noticed that we have one? It seems like I recall the site always using the InvisionPower logo, but now there seems to be a neat little blue logo that says "KI". Not that it matters much, I'm sure the number of people who notice the favicon on any given site is pretty close to zero.

The blue "KI" favicon has been there for a while, but it and the InvisionPower logo have been fighting each other for supremacy for years. Sometimes the IP logo shows up, sometimes the custom KI one. I never know which one I'm going to get. Right now, this page is showing me the KI icon, but my bookmark that points to the root of the forums is currently showing the IP logo.

• Like 1

OK, thanks. I think I'll leave them alone for now, but I'll keep the CSS solution in reserve in case they start to become really annoying. :)

No more are planned to be added for the foreseeable future. I do it to break even, not personal profit... and buy dinner for our KIC meetings at Red HoF Grill.... or Chipotle.

Tapatalk still shows as page views in analytics, there is a different dashboard to view tapatalk usage. I too have the fav.ico "battle" eachother too even though our root and forums has the KI fav.ico placed in it.

Tapatalk would not create revenue from website ads, but they have their own advertisement/monetization system for forum owners (which Dane might want to look into if he hasn't already). Note that those who paid for Tapatalk Pro (previously Tapatalk 4) before Pro was discontinued now have VIP benefits in the free app, meaning (among other things) that they do not see ads on any forum, even if the forum owner has enabled them. I am one of those users, since I bought Tapatalk 4 right after release when it was on sale for $0.99 and there was no free version (other than the no-longer-supported public beta).

We are enrolled in it for people that use the free tapatalk. The pro users do not see any ads regardless if we opted in or not.

• Like 3