Disney World updates

I've ridden both as well and enjoyed Indy more than Dinosaur. It isn't just the ride system-the entire layout of each ride is the same-just a different theme. I personally would like to see some of the things being done for the DL 50th make their way over to the Studios.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

A little nugget for all Soarin' fans-Disney yesterday released what is basically a quick teaser trailer for the new Soarin' over  the World attraction coming next year.  The trailer shows a camera mounted on a cable suspended below a stunt helicopter flying around what looks like the African Savannah, The Grand Canyon area and the Great Wall of China (with an amazing fly-through of one of the towers).  Can't wait!

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/travel/attractions/the-daily-disney/os-disney-epcot-soarin-update-details-story.html

• Like 2

I really, really miss Soarin'. I rode it in 2007, when I was 9. Soarin' is what made me a huge theme park fan. But when we went in 2012, it had a 2 hour wait and my family didn't want to wait for it. I was really upset. I hope I can go again sometime. But nowadays I can't decide between Disney World and Universal.

• Like 4

I've ridden both as well and enjoyed Indy more than Dinosaur. It isn't just the ride system-the entire layout of each ride is the same-just a different theme. I personally would like to see some of the things being done for the DL 50th make their way over to the Studios.

I hope so too. Would love to see an Indiana Jones ride put in to replace the stunt show. Think it would make a great addition to the park.

• Like 2

I really, really miss Soarin'. I rode it in 2007, when I was 9. Soarin' is what made me a huge theme park fan. But when we went in 2012, it had a 2 hour wait and my family didn't want to wait for it. I was really upset. I hope I can go again sometime. But nowadays I can't decide between Disney World and Universal.

I feel that feel. Soarin' made me obsessed with the guest experience; and soundtrack music. :)

Soarin' truly is a multi-sensory purging of emotions type ride. And I love it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

What I'd really love to see is a Mystic Manor added to one of the parks here in the states, preferably Walt Disney World.

I agree. It looks great, and feel it is different enough from Haunted Mansion to be able to go into one of the other parks without feeling like a rehash. Plus not everyone gets to visit each park anyhow to experience every ride on their visit.

I have always felt it would be a good fit in Animal Kingdom as well. It could go in somewhere in Discovery Island area and be themed similarly to HKDL's version about an explorer that collects artifacts from around the world. Since there is multiple world areas represented it and the park itself has an adventure type theme/feel to it I think having an attraction themed around a global explorer would fit right in. 

• Like 2

With all of the updates going on at Disney World it is making it difficult to schedule an ideal time to visit.  We just booked our next trip for September of 2016.  Should have all the improvements done at Animal Kingdom (that are not part of Avatar), Disney Springs should be done, and Frozen at EPCOT should be down.  I imagine Hollywood Studios will be a mess by then, so we will skip the insanity.

• Like 3

And also trackless ride vehicle technology is so impressive.  See Pooh's Hunny Hunt.

I can see trackless ride technology evolving into shoot em up rides but with a new dimension of interacting with other cars maybe.

Maybe to provide a better ride than Boo Blasters.

It could be done. It's being done at Kennywood. As a non-Disney example to exemplify a more Kings Island budget version. (probably a little less even.)

• Like 3

With all of the updates going on at Disney World it is making it difficult to schedule an ideal time to visit.  We just booked our next trip for September of 2016.  Should have all the improvements done at Animal Kingdom (that are not part of Avatar), Disney Springs should be done, and Frozen at EPCOT should be down.  I imagine Hollywood Studios will be a mess by then, so we will skip the insanity.

Disney hasn't announced when construction will commence at yonder Studios. Once it does, it will be at the back of the park, which isn't very well traveled. Most of the big attractions will be unaffected.  TSMM will have its 3rd line in by then and the Hub area of the MK should be completely done.  This construction isn't like some giant fiberglass hat that was meant to be there for only a few months, yet endured for a decade!

• Like 4

Toy Story Land will be to the back of the park but they haven't confirmed where the Star Wars land is going. Much speculation has it around Echo Lake which would put that construction near the center of the park, though should still be far enough removed if the Indiana Jones Spectacular was closed down for part of the new land.

But yea Disney Springs and Frozen at EPCOT should be done by the end and most of the non-Avatar changes to Animal Kingdom.

• Like 1

At the time we are going I imagine the majority of the Studios will be under construction from Echo Lake, Streets of America and Pixar Place. Basically draw a line from Hollywood Boulevard to Toy Story Midway Mania.  Everything to the left of the line will be under construction or at best surrounded by walls.  I will pass.  Instead we will more than likely spend 2 days at AK to take in all the new stuff, 2 days at MK and 1 at EPCOT possibly 2.  Crowds should be non existent for the most part. 

• Like 2

Looks like I might be getting to go back down there this November, but only for a day.  My wife just found out she's got a business trip in Tampa, so I just might tag along with her.  We'll more than likely just spend a day at the Magic Kingdom, so construction of any kind hopefully won't affect us.

On another note, has Disney mentioned what the construction schedule is going to look like for Toy Story Land and Star Wars Land in Hollywood Studios? How long do they think both lands will take to complete?

• Like 4

^^ The biggest reasons for most to visit Disney's Hollywood Studios would probably be Twilight Zone Tower of Terror, Toy Story Mania, Rock 'n' Roller Coaster, and Star Tours anyway, which should remain open throughout construction unless or until more is announced. Same with Great Movie Ride, Fantasmic, and... hmm... Well look at that. That's all of the park's rides. Five!

Construction walls, probably.

As for "all of the new stuff at Animal Kingdom," at that point (pre-Avatar, like you said) the differences will be the nighttime water show, the nighttime safari, and that's it. Just something to consider before locking yourself into two days there. Two additions (both nighttime only) in a park that previously wasn't open at night at all. In other words, my two cents would be that you don't need two days there still. Disney's plan is that Animal Kingdom will be a full day park AFTER Avatar opens. 

• Like 2

With all of the updates going on at Disney World it is making it difficult to schedule an ideal time to visit. We just booked our next trip for September of 2016. Should have all the improvements done at Animal Kingdom (that are not part of Avatar), Disney Springs should be done, and Frozen at EPCOT should be down. I imagine Hollywood Studios will be a mess by then, so we will skip the insanity.

Do you know when the booking window for Disney Resort hotels opens? I thought it was 11 months out.

With all of the updates going on at Disney World it is making it difficult to schedule an ideal time to visit. We just booked our next trip for September of 2016. Should have all the improvements done at Animal Kingdom (that are not part of Avatar), Disney Springs should be done, and Frozen at EPCOT should be down. I imagine Hollywood Studios will be a mess by then, so we will skip the insanity.

Do you know when the booking window for Disney Resort hotels opens? I thought it was 11 months out.

Usually 11 months out, unless you are in the DVC... 9 months at your home resort, 6 months at others..

Looks like I might be getting to go back down there this November, but only for a day.  My wife just found out she's got a business trip in Tampa, so I just might tag along with her.  We'll more than likely just spend a day at the Magic Kingdom, so construction of any kind hopefully won't affect us.

On another note, has Disney mentioned what the construction schedule is going to look like for Toy Story Land and Star Wars Land in Hollywood Studios? How long do they think both lands will take to complete?

No timelines have been announced as of yet.  Speculation has it that both lands will begin next year and take probably the better part of 2 years to complete,

• Like 1

^^ The biggest reasons for most to visit Disney's Hollywood Studios would probably be Twilight Zone Tower of Terror, Toy Story Mania, Rock 'n' Roller Coaster, and Star Tours anyway, which should remain open throughout construction unless or until more is announced. Same with Great Movie Ride, Fantasmic, and... hmm... Well look at that. That's all of the park's rides. Five!

Construction walls, probably.

As for "all of the new stuff at Animal Kingdom," at that point (pre-Avatar, like you said) the differences will be the nighttime water show, the nighttime safari, and that's it. Just something to consider before locking yourself into two days there. Two additions (both nighttime only) in a park that previously wasn't open at night at all. In other words, my two cents would be that you don't need two days there still. Disney's plan is that Animal Kingdom will be a full day park AFTER Avatar opens. 

This is the beauty of planning Disney and having been a few times.  We won't feel cheated not visiting the Studios seeing as we have done everything there multiple times.  We have always done AK as a 1 day park and were typically out of the park around 5 or so.  AK is probably our 2nd favorite park behind MK so my tentative plan for now is an early morning at AK to catch rides and shows.  Day 2 will be a later arrival for animal exhibits and nighttime activities.  We have done a pretty poor job of taking in all of the animal exhibits at AK because it is difficult to hit characters, rides, shows, and animals all in one day.  Plus Nemo and Festival of the Lion King can eat up a large chunk of your day

All 2016 dates are available for booking now through the website and typically Disney releases all packages rates for the upcoming year in late Summer.  I believe 2016 package rates were released in August of this year, but you can call Disney directly and book a room-only 500 days out (this room will be quoted current prices for that date and could go up since pricing has not been set that far out).  We always try to book more than 6 months out, because this allows us to use the 180 day ADR window as a resort guest.  Also by booking your package early you are guaranteed your rates will not go up but you can take advantage of eventual promotions.  For example we will more than likely have a Free Dinning promotion or 20% room only discount.  We love the dinning plan so have always done the Free dinning option.  Once the discounts are announced it is a simple call to Disney to have the discount applied to your package.

• Like 4

Project Update.

Star Wars Land will break ground next year (2016) in Florida and California.  There are many articles that have this information but see here http://www.orlandosentinel.com/travel/attractions/the-daily-disney/os-disney-star-wars-breaks-ground-2016-20150910-story.html

I am surprised it will break ground in 2016, even more surprised if it happens before Summer of 2016.

• Like 5

Construction continues as we speak.  The last timetable Disney announced had it fully complete by Q2 next year. It has been opening in stages as phases have been completed.  An official opening date has yet to be announced, but, if Disney holds true to form, it will be in soft open mode for a month or 2 to work out the kinks before bringing the C-suite folks over from Burbank.

• Like 1

Like the rest of Walt Disney World, Downtown Disney was made up of components from the last four decades. Besides that, it had dead space in the form of the lost-and-loved Pleasure Island and the soon-to-finally-close-after-years-of-irrelevance DisneyQuest. It also suffers from a lack of foresight - while most every resort built since positions a shopping district right at the entrance to its park (CityWalk in Orlando, CityWalk in Hollywood, Downtown Disney in California, Knott's Berry Farm) Walt Disney World's is way, way "over there," so unless you got on the wrong bus, the only reason you'd go to Downtown Disney is if you already wanted to. 

The Disney Springs project tackles the important and inevitable job of bringing it all up to [the same] date, making use of the practically abandoned Pleasure Island, and marketing it as a worthwhile evening spot for Walt Disney World travelers - a place that's worth yet another bus ride after a long day and evening show at the parks. As it was, Downtown Disney was an afterthought. Now Disney Springs is meant to be a main attraction - well themed, loaded with current and desired offerings, and worth the trouble to access.

That being said, Disney fans will argue that it's now more like your local very-upscale outlet mall than it ever was before, making it even less relevant and desirable. At least as Downtown Disney it had things you couldn't get anywhere else. Now it'll have your typical hoity toity retailers and a sophisticated theme that's certainly got good intentions, but ends up looking like any other high end outdoor mall – Columbus' Easton, but with inflated theme park pricing. 

• Like 4

^

I would disagree about looking like Easton or any other Town Center shopping center concept.  Yes it does have some chain style stores, there are many that are not common as well.  The various Disney boutique stores like World of Disney, one-off restaurants like BoatHouse, TRex or Morimoto and the cohesive theme will make the Springs a much better offering than previously.

We have always visited DTD on our day of arrival and departure, it is a nice break from the parks yet is easy to get to for resort guests.

• Like 3