Cedar Point 2016 Talk

Dragster manages to push the envelope not in its layout but in its height, speed, and acceleration being unmet anywhere else but New Jersey.

That said, people do still complain about its short ride time despite its incredible experience.

Everyone wants different things, no ride can have it all no matter how hard you try, even with all the money in the world.

For example, I am pleased with what CP is getting, however I do not dismiss some of the criticisms about the typical layout. It would've been cool to see some new things tried out. What? Idk, when you consider the size of the trains.. I do not know. So I am still happy.

• Like 5

So track has been on site for weeks now and they are just today digging for the first footing? Does this strike anyone else as strange?

The first footers for Gatekeeper weren't poured for quite some time. Keep in mind that they're building the ride in an area that has already been cleared and leveled to the need of the ride. All they have to do is clear that pumpkin patch and they're ready to go. Cedar Point and company know exactly what they're doing.

UPDATE: After looking at the live webcam, it appears that they've done quite a bit of work near the area where the station is going to be.

• Like 7

Dragster manages to push the envelope not in its layout but in its height, speed, and acceleration being unmet anywhere else but New Jersey.

That said, people do still complain about its short ride time despite its incredible experience.

Everyone wants different things, no ride can have it all no matter how hard you try, even with all the money in the world.

For example, I am pleased with what CP is getting, however I do not dismiss some of the criticisms about the typical layout. It would've been cool to see some new things tried out. What? Idk, when you consider the size of the trains.. I do not know. So I am still happy.

Just want to clarify, I'm not saying Dragster is a bad ride or anything, just saying that if you are judging a ride solely on its length and layout it's not really fair. The experience of the ride itself overall is what determines its quailty. I haven't gotten to ride Dragster myself yet though so can't fully judge how good it is, both times i've been since it opened the ride has been shut down due to issues with the ride. But I know it gets good reviews.

I can see some people's underwhelming interest in a dive coaster as I have always thought that they look quite short as well, but they look very fun at the same time. And with the heigt of this one it will be like having a Drop Tower type experience with a short coaster ride after that still looks fun, if quick. My one qualm I have with it is I wish they dug a tunnel down and had it go underground on the drop to swoop back out in the immelman, think that would give it an even better experience as you jsut see the ground coming at you instead of jsut the track ahead. Perhaps even have the pathway closer to the drop and have it actually dive under the path and come up ont he other side to then swoop back around to the mcbr as it does.

• Like 2

I agree, I was hoping a bridge would go over the bottom of the drop like Griffon and there'd be a sensible access to the ride (closer to a straight line). Instead of you're at Rougarou.. you have to come go around the inversions, and then make a straight 90° turn. Not really a big quarrel.. but it's just a weird thing to do. Kinda in the same way that there's no longer a quick way to the other side of what used to be Swan Lake at Kings Island. You go around the restaurant and the first drop, or you go alll the waayy around the International Showplace and several concessions.

It'd be nice if they could make the queue entrance similar to Dragon Challenge at IOA. I know this is Cedar Fair (and more specifically, Cedar Point), but I feel they really missed the mark on theming. Especially with the Valravn theme. So much wasted potential.

As for the ride itself, I'm expecting to love it considering how much I loved Griffon. I have it ranked #8 (my count is barely over 50 though) and it's ranked a spot above Dragster. So it's likely to land in my top four at the Point. I still think the new restraints are a bit unnecessary but I think Cedar Fair chose them just to say, "look, we innovated the dive coaster concept by adding vests!". Hopefully the whole train uses the row 4 big boy seats on Gatekeeper.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...