Forum Reverted to Pre IPS4

We as many of you are surprised this morning logging in. I reverted to a backup I made just before the forums being upgraded. The new software was just too buggy, constantly crashing, and lacked support. (8 days ticket response times)

Last night the forums kept getting themselves in a "get" loop meaning they were fetching pages on pages on the same page in a loop like it was out of the movie Inception and 503 crash the server. At about 4:30am still up working on it I threw in the towel and reverted.

What's next? Well we will be trying this upgrade again in the future once we are in the new server. (getting configured right now) As for now. I apologize for the missing posts from the past week and all the work you put into them but we will bounce back. This isn't our first rodeo.

• Like 17

Is there a plan to import any content from the week of IPB4, or should I continue reposting things from my browser cache and Google/Bing cache?

Also, when the server move does happen, will current posts be lost? (If so, I'd wait to post things until the move is complete.)

• Like 1

Some have asked me via text if we could get the new KIC theme back used on the 4.x forums with the KI backgrounds, and that answer is yes, as soon as thus server change is completed.

Edit:

I went ahead and installed it this afternoon, the old option is still available as KICentral Neon as well as the default by request.

Edited by Dane
Installed Skin
  • Like 2

^ There is a theme selector at the bottom of each forum page. Click "Change theme".

I personally pick "IP Board", since I prefer reading text against light backgrounds.

Regarding the lost posts, I got back most of the recent trip reports from web caches and reposted them. People spend a lot of time writing those, so it was good to restore them. Dane increased the frequency & longevity of backups, so hopefully content won't be lost going forward. Stuff happens; it could have been worse.

• Like 9

I'm a fairly new member and haven't posted much but  I'd been wondering where my (few) posts went.

That was my other worry, all these new members we got over the past week suddenly lost and having to recreate a new account. But it had to happen.

I do have to admit that with all these problems with the server made me dive into MySQL optimization and CPU saving processes. I have been making tweaks on the backend and at least in my perspective KIC has been loading much faster.

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

On the 10th of this month we had a hard drive die and had to rebuild our raid 10 array, sadly during the middle of the day here which caused the hard drive controller to be at 100% most of the day, resulting in 503 errors.

• Like 3

Been seeing weird Tapatalk issues. My notifications have been coming in bursts every few minutes, as opposed to just rolling in as they happen like I'd expect.

That said, I don't know that it's necessarily a KIC issue. Notifications in general have been lagging for me for all apps, so this could very well be an issue with my phone and not at all KIC-related.

• Like 4

Tapatalk is the number one resource hog on the server. I am putting things into a performance mode for the time being. I may re enable after the upgrade tonight to see how it goes, but I very well may leave it on to survive tomorrow. Certain features and luxuries will not be available for a couple days.

• Like 3

Tapatalk is the number one resource hog on the server. I am putting things into a performance mode for the time being. I may re enable after the upgrade tonight to see how it goes, but I very well may leave it on to survive tomorrow. Certain features and luxuries will not be available for a couple days.

Does this have anything to do with why suddenly every single post from the past two weeks has be re-marked as "unread" for me? This is on my laptop; I haven't checked Tapatalk yet.

• Like 1