Tropical Plunge - NEW for 2016!

From Kings Island's website:

Kings Island announced on August 19th a major expansion to its Soak City Waterpark for the2016 season with the addition of Tropical Plunge, a complex of six different water slide experiences towering nearly seven stories.

Three of the slides on the 65-foot tall complex will start with guests climbing inside an Aqua-Launch chamber where they will wait anxiously for the floor to drop out from underneath their feet, sending them into a high-speed, almost vertical free fall through a series of flat loops and S-curves in a translucent flume.

Tropical Plunge also features a slide that will send riders twisting and spiraling through an enclosed chute featuring four intense 360-degree loops across 449 feet of slide before they’re released out into a pool of water and dueling 337-foot long tube slides that zip riders through an enchanting series of drops and turns.

“This will be a high-adrenaline attraction that will increase the thrill factor for our park guests,” Kings Island’s Vice President and General Manager Greg Scheid said. “They have been asking for new and more thrilling waterpark attractions they are able to enjoy with family members and we think this answers their feedback plus brings another element of FUN to the overall experience of Kings Island.”

Tropical Plunge will expand the size of Kings Island’s waterpark to 35 acres. Once the attraction has been built, Soak City Waterpark will have a total of 36 slides; two wave pools; two coves; a lagoon and an action river plus children’s play areas among its more than 50 water activities.

Construction on Tropical Plunge is expected to begin this fall and will be ready by Memorial Day 2016, the start of the waterpark’s 27th season.

Thoughts?

• Like 9

I'm actually extremely excited for this. I never go to the waterpark, but it will definitely be nicer seeing this addition. We desperately needed something like this. 

Any news on the parking lot/entrance? Was there an announcement about it?

Edit: Nevermind, I see now. Excited about that as well! 

I absolutely love the comments on the post. Everyone is disappointed. "Why not a rollercoaster?" We got a rollercoaster LAST YEAR. The waterpark needed something new. And it got something new. That was needed much more than something on the dry side. Good job, Kings Island. Great move in my opinion. Especially the toll booths. Traffic getting into KI is horrible. Now it should be a little better, especially with the renovation of Kings Island Dr/Western Row.

• Like 5

Pretty cool- the waterpark hasn't gotten any actual new waterslides since 2004, so this complex is much needed and welcome. The new toll booths will also be a welcome addition.

And I breathe a HUGE sigh of relief as Racer will be with us at least one more year. Hopefully many more than just 1...

• Like 9

So much is going to look and feel different, just because of the many changes happening to how we enter the park. For 43 years, it has been pretty much the same. Now, all of a sudden (as from the perspective of someone with as many orbits about the sun as I) 1. The plaza will look and feel much different; 2. It will be from a direction I've never taken into (only out of) the parking lot; and 3. It will have been after passing a void that was once the Kings Island Inn. I'm sure I'll get used to it, but it will be a very different experience for me.

• Like 5

Have they said where this will be located? My guess would be the large grassy area near the entrance formed when they rerouted the road outside the gate.

Over near Tidal Wave Bay and the volleyball courts.

Finally!!! I've always thought something could be in that area and I was thinking drop slides would be perfect -I was right!  :D

• Like 2

If it's trending on Facebook...

Wmdf2e8.png

...then you know it must be a big deal.  ;)

(POSTER'S NOTE: Facebook users that want to check this out will notice several "trending" items omitted from this screengrab because this is, indeed, a family-oriented site, and ain't nobody need to see stuff like dat.)

• Like 10