Monroe making plans for former Americana Amusement Park

I don't really have anything I'd like to see on the site (let's just suppose that reopening Lesourdsville lake/Americana is off the table). It's in kind of an odd spot (hemmed in on one side by the river, one side by a water treatment/sewage plant, one side by RR tracks and another by residential subdivisions). It's got good access to Rt. 4 on the front side but that's maybe a negative also? 

I suspect one of two things will happen: 1 The property will end up as part of an expanding warehouse/light industrial area building out from some trucking operations that are already there taking advantage of Rt. 4 and possibly rail access. However, the flood plain/river adjacent nature of the site may make that not feasible.  OR speculation 2: considering the demographics of the Monroe area: soccer fields/other rec fields.

• Like 4

The above article is in no way related to nor is it associated to the individual by said name, so the answer is no I have no control over what happens to the property.  Just saying.

I never said any one of us had control over what happened to that property.  All I asked was what anyone would like to see.  This wasn't anything official, I was curious about everyone's opinion.

What I would LIKE to see is the park put back exactly as it was.  But...I guess that's probably pretty obvious to anyone that knows where the name "Dare to Fly" came from.  Oddly enough, I posted this to my Facebook page (also Dare to Fly) not an hour ago.  :)

...missing Eagle...looks at avatar and mourns...must watch pov now...

Incidentally I know someone (wink wink) that made a good video tribute to the park if you'd like to see it.  (lol)  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeLLIwgv2uI

• Like 6

Wow...that's really a great tribute video! The Eagle was a treasure...still the best ' stand up' coaster built in Ohio (it had some of the best airtime anywhere!) That turnaround drop was legendary! Really miss Raging Thunder also and their flyers. Such a great little park with a wonderful past. As much as I love Kings Island, It's such a shame to see so many of these type of parks gone now. Spent many a summer day enjoying The Eagle, so sad its gone.

• Like 6

• 11 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 2/18/2017 at 3:08 PM, Rivertown Rider said:

It really is a shame that more of the rides did not get relocated.  One of my big regrets with theme parks is not riding Screechin' Eagle.  Serpent was one of the first coasters I ever rode and I still feel like Raging Thunder was one of the best flume rides I ever rode.

Screechin' Eagle was a great coaster, but it sure was rough!  I used to ride it all the time as a kid since we had season passes and were there all the time.  I remember one night inparticular that I rode it and it was so rough that it slammed my head into the side of the car I was riding in.  I've never had such a headache before!  I'm not sure if it was always this rough or if they ended up refurbishing it at some point, but there was a time in the early 90s where it used to beat the heck out of you...literally!

• Like 1

I spent many, MANY, summer days at both Americana and Fantasy Farm as a kid.  When I was a young child in the 80s, my family had season passes to Fantasy Farm.  We'd visit there often in the summer and on the weekends.  I just remember some of the unique things they had there.  They used to have these caves you could walk through, and there was this house with statues of the 3 bears.  I remember my family having a birthday party in that house for one of my cousins.  They also had these paddle boats that were in a pond with a bunch of crazy snapping turtles.  I remember riding those once with my cousins and getting stuck out in that pond.  The ride op had to pull us back in with this long pole.  For whatever reason, it felt like the safety regulations were kind of lax there. I don't know, maybe it was just me, but it sure seemed like it!  The whole place was just an interesting place to visit, a completely different experience than one you'd get at Kings Island.

• Like 1

I think if the Coney Island Patriarch owner of Coney had not passed to Heavens above, Americana would still be here, also I think after his passing, if the owners sold to another Amusement Park operator, that would have been great, there was talk Couch camper was not the fit. Plus,a great Northern place for rides slides thrills a whole difference to Kings Island, or Coney. 

I think the latest land use is better than a Meijer or such. I guess to the memories of the classic rides, the John Henry the best log flume. 

Picnics n swimming.

• Like 2

• 9 months later...

I accidentally ended up driving past the front of the former park on my way back from last month's KIC meetup. Granted it was dark and I was driving at the time but the way that sign has held up, I thought it was a new one and they were maybe reopening again.

Fifteen years since closing, and it looks bright and fresh. I wish they had been able to make a go of it, I have fond, if hazy, memories of it (as Americana) as a little girl. 

• Like 2