Decoding Episode II: Rivertown 2017 and the Falling Trees

jcgoble3

Have to say I'm a little disappointed. I fail to see how this ride is any different than The Racer (plus a few more curves).

Oh dear.

*clutches pearls*

Actually, I'm THRILLED that for the first time in a long time, Kings Island is getting a coaster that doesn't scream THRILLZ FAST WOW FLIPZ but instead is earning a little bit of a "huh?" reaction. 

The last coasters I've seen with this kind of reaction? Maverick... Verbolten... Invadr... 

Put another way: you'll see.

Maverick's probably the most infamous example of enthusiasts being less-than-thrilled with the initial reveal, especially after the one-two punch that was Millennium Force and Top Thrill Dragster (and, to a lesser extent, Wicked Twister). And now everyone's been clamoring for a Maverick clone for almost ten years now.

• Like 15

It looks like we have many here who rode this coaster already.   :rolleyes:

Just looking at this POV, the coaster looks to have absolutely amazing amount of airtime with several great lateral hills.  This looks somewhat like a cross between Lightning Racer and Prowler.  The drop is very similar to Thunderhead but in opposite direction.  For those who have not ridden many GCI coasters, do yourselves a favor and ride Thunderhead, Renegade, Prowler or Lightning Racer.  

• Like 15

The 3rd video at the official Kings Island website shoulds the 360 video of the "shed". It says Miami River Lumber Co. on the side. It's built in a super sharp "L" shape so will it be a super sharp turn with a stop and a launch to get away from creeping vines?

• Like 4

I'm excited! I can't wait to find out what's in the box!

The pov looks nice, I feel like I'll be able to ride this without hurting my neck. And the airtime looks like fun! I hope they go all-out with the theming. It's really cool that they're leaving some mystery to it, kind of like when Tomb Raider first opened. I'm excited to see the box get new life!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Okay, Brad Pitt, do you really want to know "What"s in the BOOOO-oooooOOOOXXXX?"

• Like 2

Whats a drop track? I've seen that suggested on Twitter a few times for the shed.

An element most notably seen on Verbolten at Busch Gardens Williamsburg and Th13teen at Alton Towers, a drop track is a piece of track a train stops on, and drops. Both of these rides have the drop indoors, which makes people suspect the shed contains one.

• Like 6

The 3rd video at the official Kings Island website shoulds the 360 video of the "shed". It says Miami River Lumber Co. on the side. It's built in a super sharp "L" shape so will it be a super sharp turn with a stop and a launch to get away from creeping vines?

I could see the creeping vines, and sharp turn, but I do not believe there will be a launch.  The shed is like 100 or 200 feet from the station.

• Like 4

What if the shed was used for a Mad House type element.  Where the train enters the shed doors close behind you and the track rocks back and forth along with the room around it.  Would be a pretty neat effect.  However being at the end of the ride that's a lot of anticipation building at the end of the ride.  Hmm where else does that happen...

• Like 5

Whats a drop track? I've seen that suggested on Twitter a few times for the shed.

An element most notably seen on Verbolten at Busch Gardens Williamsburg and Th13teen at Alton Towers, a drop track is a piece of track a train stops on, and drops. Both of these rides have the drop indoors, which makes people suspect the shed contains one.

Which now makes this the third roller coaster themed to journeying through, and escaping from, a dark forest of supernatural origin, with a drop track element as a unique selling point.

• Like 7

Watch the first few seconds of this video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u99UYZEy4G4  That is a drop track. Verbolten at BGW has one like it. That is the only thing that I could think of that can be in the shed...unless it's some gimmicky monster type deal like the Adventure Express final lift hill. Guess we'll find out in due time. I am stoked for this ride!

• Like 7

I have not been to many parks (Kings Island, Holiday World, and Indiana Beach way back in 1999) but I kinda get a "Legend mixed with Voyage" vibe from this. The ride looks like it has a fast pace, and it should have decent airtime and laterals. Well, then there is that shed at the end which neither Legend nor Voyage have...I am probably gonna really like this new ride though, and it should be even better after dark- look out Beast, you might actually have a rival for night rides now. It should also be a good coaster for those who think Beast is a bit much but want something bigger than Racer, which this is. And based on how much wood coasters cost, this looks like it was probably a bargain compared to what Diamondback and Banshee cost.

The name is a bit "meh" IMO, but I have been on quite a few rides I liked before this with a "meh" name. Also the themed trains look awesome.

But...the 2nd announcement that comes next month also has me wondering. Winterfest returns? A new flat or flats to go with Mystic Timbers? 2017 Kings Island sure is getting interesting...

• Like 9

Also I don't really like the name. They could have just called it Timber and I would have been fine with that.

Also I don't really like the name. They could have just called it Timber and I would have been fine with that.

I'm happy with the Creepy Buckeye theme. We Are eerie, and we live in a temperate rainforest. (When dealing with Londoners, I tell them I live around Wright Patt; they say "Hangar 18' before they say "Orville and Wilbur".)

I think it's grand. It represents us very well.

The POV can only show the eyes what to expect. Once we hop on, and fly by the trees, it'll be great. One of my favorite things about The Beast is tearing through the woods.

Look at Adventure Express- on paper it's nothing, but riding it is fun.

It's too early to ask the height requirement to ride it, but I'm hoping for it to be available for more kids than the more heavy duty coasters.

It will be 48 according to Don in an interview with KIC

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Thank you. One more reason to celebrate that Big Bracelet Day then, when a kid hits the height requirement

• Like 3

I have not been to many parks (Kings Island, Holiday World, and Indiana Beach way back in 1999) but I kinda get a "Legend mixed with Voyage" vibe from this. The ride looks like it has a fast pace, and it should have decent airtime and laterals. Well, then there is that shed at the end which neither Legend nor Voyage have...I am probably gonna really like this new ride though, and it should be even better after dark- look out Beast, you might actually have a rival for night rides now. It should also be a good coaster for those who think Beast is a bit much but want something bigger than Racer, which this is. And based on how much wood coasters cost, this looks like it was probably a bargain compared to what Diamondback and Banshee cost.

The name is a bit "meh" IMO, but I have been on quite a few rides I liked before this with a "meh" name. Also the themed trains look awesome.

But...the 2nd announcement that comes next month also has me wondering. Winterfest returns? A new flat or flats to go with Mystic Timbers? 2017 Kings Island sure is getting interesting...

I'd say something haunt related
  • Like 1

It does look quite awesome, I do have to admit. I love a wooded scenery  and water crossing.  The elements we don't know about will be icing on the cake.  The actual coaster layout and location was figured out very early in this thread. Here are a few words from the description on KI site: ..... " medusa-like growth of vines as nature moved in"......   What's so funny is that I was researching Medusa today because I was going to suggest that as a name. One of my names was Timber Falls so I want half credit. :)     Where exactly is this shed going to be?

• Like 3