Gatlinburg Mountain Coaster

This ride has a seatbelt. The belt retracts which is why it is hard to see in the pictures. I have been on two of the mountain coasters in Gatlinberg and I enjoyed both. I remember at least one had a belt which would only unlock in the station.

These coasters hug the ground and have very tight turns and tons of lateral forces.

• Like 7

Yea this looks like something some crazy would build in the backyard. Dont think id get on that.

They are very safe unless you take your seatbelt off. They have sensors throughout the ride to ensure cars don't travel too close.

Reports I've heard state witnesses saw the woman remove her seat belt.

Sent from the cellphone Zach Morris used in Saved By The Bell using Tapatalk

• Like 5

The night ride looks pretty. Of course I had to Youtube it, to see the layout, speed, etc..

That poor woman seems awfully battered up, I feel bad for her.

Do you brake yourself on the ride?

You do have brakes you can control but there are magnetic brakes throughout the rides. Both as trim brakes and to stop the ride at the end.

• Like 3

The Coaster at Goats on the Roof is shut down at this point now.

http://www.local8now.com/content/news/Second-mountain-coaster-shut-down-following-accident-386661391.html?utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook_WVLT_Local_8

Apparently, the owner didn't notify the state that someone broke an arm while riding. Happened the same day. 

Both of these incidents seem to be human error on the guest side.  

• Like 3

I certainly hope so, and by that I mean, I hope it is proven that the rides and ride owners had no liability what-so-ever, and that it was 100% the fault of the guests in both incidents.  I dont want to see these wonderful rides turned into automatic trim-brake filled, 5 point harness required piles of garbage.

And before I hear the "They already have trims"... just stop before you start.  I know they have trims, I am talking of MORE trims.  That is what makes these rides fun, the speed.

• Like 3

Gatlinburg Mountain Coaster is now open per their Facebook page. 

I don't know if we'll see what the investigation finds, but I know with the incident at Gatlinburg Mountain Coaster, there were at least 2 witnesses that saw the woman remove her seat belt before being thrown from the ride. 

• Like 3

I certainly hope so, and by that I mean, I hope it is proven that the rides and ride owners had no liability what-so-ever, and that it was 100% the fault of the guests in both incidents.  I dont want to see these wonderful rides turned into automatic trim-brake filled, 5 point harness required piles of garbage.

And before I hear the "They already have trims"... just stop before you start.  I know they have trims, I am talking of MORE trims.  That is what makes these rides fun, the speed.

And I want Lawn Darts back!

• Like 2

And I want Lawn Darts back!

We had Lawn Darts in my family- I have a puncture scar on my ankle for proof!

In looking at the coaster in question, how was it going to be more fun by taking off the seat belt? It wasn't Le Mans to start with.

• Like 3

• 5 weeks later...

I never been on one of these coasters. They are low to the ground and look like you could have a deer ruin your day. As for seat belts I have seen some that had to be released by the ride op. I seen these on the Woodstock Gliders and I don't know if they are still that way. I don't like the idea of it but its not much different than other restraints that must be released before you can get off.  That would end being able to say the rider took it off.

• Like 1

A pair can ride together if under a combined 375lbs. Bigger person sits in back and controls the brakes, other person sits in front and hangs on. I was begging my husband to slow down because the helixes are so tight, he refused. It felt like the car was going to come off the track. There is supposed to be magnetic trims but I did not feel any. It seemed way faster than the advertised 30mph.

• Like 2

Oh. It looked like a friendly little roller jaunt to me.

That man I married spoke of going down a mountain side in a concrete gutter while riding a kiddy scooter. He said it was fun until you got scraped up- there are times when his sense of fun and mine differ.

• Like 2