Volcano Bay details

Great. Another reason to raise the admission prices.....lol.. I assure you.... That area near a Sand Lake rd has a huge mountain of sand already formed as of today.

Based on the crowd here today, it will pay for itself in a split second.

• Like 2

It would seem that Wet n' Wild's days may be numbered.

NO! I still haven't been able to get back down there to finish my day at Wet 'n' Wild! :(

(For those who are newer, in 2012 I did a major vacation to Orlando, hitting all of the major theme parks and waterparks. But the day I tried to do Wet 'n' Wild was the day that Tropical Storm Isaac moved through, and the resulting heavy rain kept so many people away that they closed the park after just one hour due to insufficient attendance, and I didn't get a chance to go back.)

• Like 2

Wands cost about $50 with wizard capes at $109.... and nearly every kid had one or the other....I think the wands have RFI in them, becauses kids were spending a lot of time waving them in front of store windows. Full trip report coming in the next few days.

• Like 4

Some of the windows had what appeared to be holographic scenes. One in particular had a bird in a cage that appeared to sing and follow the motion of the wand. This was in a dark part of the alley, the area, overall for me, was way too crowded to be enjoyable.

• Like 4

Yea a lot fo the windows in Hogsmeade and Diagon Alley have interactive stuff where you perform a spell and something will happen. There are also other interactive elements as well such as statues and fountains that are activated by the too. Only down part is can get lined up when it's busy for people to do it because it's not real easy. you have to perform the spell perfectly or it won't work.

• Like 5

It would seem that Wet n' Wild's days may be numbered.

NO! I still haven't been able to get back down there to finish my day at Wet 'n' Wild! :(

(For those who are newer, in 2012 I did a major vacation to Orlando, hitting all of the major theme parks and waterparks. But the day I tried to do Wet 'n' Wild was the day that Tropical Storm Isaac moved through, and the resulting heavy rain kept so many people away that they closed the park after just one hour due to insufficient attendance, and I didn't get a chance to go back.)

I'm going to make a prediction that Wet and Wild will remain as a waterpark and be a fourth venue for Universal. If they are smart, they will build a resort hotel on International Drive as a gateway to the main park with a shuttle/train/monorail type service. I would say that the resort would be comparable in price to the hotels on the strip.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

Universal released a few new details on the Volcano Bay water park including a list of the attractions. Link below.

http://www.inquisitr.com/3296093/universal-orlando-resort-reveals-details-of-new-water-theme-park-volcano-bay-including-rides-and-new-hotel/

Still very curious what the secret project slide is they won't release details on. Looking forward to this to open up. The art so far has looked great and love the minimal queue system. Just hope that the waves in the wave pool will be strong waves like at Typhoon Lagoon and not the little ripple waves most wave pools have like at Kings Island. 

Can't wait to see what it looks like at night either with the "lava" coming down the volcano.

• Like 5

• 3 months later...

Universal has announced details on the park's marque waterslide - a themed water coaster that looks incredible. https://blog.universalorlando.com/whats-new/volcano-bay-coaster-details/

Specifics of the virtual queuing system have also been released. Guests will be given an RFID wristband when entering the park that will be used to make waterslide reservations, trigger special effects (MagiQuest inspired?), and activate interactive water features to spray other park guests.

• Like 4

It sounds like fun! We were just there last month and could see the volcano under construction.

I'm very interested to see how this ride reservation thing works out. They had one ride in the IOA park that was using a ticketing system...it was the glider ride back in Jurassic Park area. The first and last hour of the day was standby, but outside of that, you HAD to have a ticket to get into line. One of the workers back there told me that more rides would be going to that next year, including this water park, Despicable Me, and the new USF rides: Fast and Furious and Jimmy Fallon thru New York. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Details on some of Universal's recently-filed patents have been making the media rounds, including an interesting drop slide enhancement that may be in store for Volcano Bay. http://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/news/2016/12/09/universal-theme-park-patents-tackle-drifting-cars.html

Having seen guests freak out at Tropical Plunge, I can only imagine reactions to a drop chamber filling with "fluid died to resemble blood" before the floor drops out. Here's a link to that patent application: http://www.freshpatents.com/-dt20161013ptan20160296846.php

• Like 2

I only got a one-hour tease of Wet 'n Wild I got courtesy of Tropical Storm Isaac and management's inability to read a basic weather forecast, which left me with a permanent craving for more of the park that I never was and never will be able to fulfill.

Compared to that, I'd prefer to have never made it there in the first place. :P

• 1 month later...