Mystic Timbers Construction Progress

stashua123

13 hours ago, Italian Job 2005 said:

I hope they have vines growing around the sides of the shed as depicted in that simulation.

because #theming

Unless the queue goes back there, they'd be pointless... you cant see the outside while inside. ;-)

• Like 4

EDIT: I had removed a post embedding the Twitter images, as I thought they were from a drone. They apparently weren't, so I restored the post.

Also, as drones become more popular, just a reminder to be mindful not to violate private property rights or FAA rules when operating them. At least one enthusiast has been caught flying a drone in the park this off-season.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, calakapepe said:

Are plane fly-by photos allowed? Thats what they looked like to me so I didnt think twice.. not that its my job too emoji14.png

Aerial photos are allowed, yes. Several KIC members have contributed photos over the years from flights they've through the area.

Drones are a more complex legal area. Operating them over the park, with 300' rides and active construction zones, would likely be considered trespassing. Park rules prohibit all unauthorized drone flights.

• Like 7

Now I know about the drone policy for Kings Island, (Not that I own a drone, but I know about it.) But I believe those photos posted are via an Airplane or Helicopter.

I'm just taking reference at how small Diamondback looks. This seems like the photo was taken from possibly 400 to 600 feet in the air? Maybe higher? I don't think drones can fly that high, not without even breaking FAA rules. 

The pictures in question also seemed to be in a more straight path, like a curved path around the park. Again, also similar to evidence of being taken from an airplane and or Helicopter. 

• Like 6

Back to #WhatsInTheShed, I've been thinking of a new concept, though it is kinda outlandish.

It would be like a drop track, but it wouldn't all drop at once. For example, you'd hear cracking noises and the right side would drop a little. Then more cracking and the left side. Then more and possible the front right, then back left, etc. until finally (depending on how much space is left) a normal drop track. Then, to fit the MT theme, the vines could possible "raise you back up" before going on.

I thought this would be a neat gimmick to fit the theme of the ride.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 5

It would.. However, at this point we can see that the shed simply has wooden bents in place. The track is gonna be sitting pretty in one place

Yeah. This was more of a thought when I first saw this back those many months ago. Like I said, it would be a cool gimmick that fits the theme, but even then I thought it would be very unlikely. Hey, I can dream though.

Maybe they'll do it on the floorless standup inverted wooden Arrow stratacoaster

^Please note that last bit is sarcasm if you were confused

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

If the queue is under the shed as rcwizrd13 stated, then it's highly unlikely there would be a drop track element. If so, it would certainly scare the heck out of guests waiting in line to hear sudden screams above them and possibly see track floating in midair, dangling above them. Or the shed would be super tall and the track would fall in the building. Even so, that would make it interesting.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, MDMC01 said:

If the queue is under the shed as rcwizrd13 stated, then it's highly unlikely there would be a drop track element. If so, it would certainly scare the heck out of guests waiting in line to hear sudden screams above them and possibly see track floating in midair, dangling above them. Or the shed would be super tall and the track would fall in the building. Even so, that would make it interesting.

The queue only goes under a small portion closer to the back end of the station. The smaller tunnel between the station and the smallest shed box.

If a GCI person made a blog post about whats in the shed, please don't talk about what he or she said. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, CoasterOhio said:

Now I know about the drone policy for Kings Island, (Not that I own a drone, but I know about it.) But I believe those photos posted are via an Airplane or Helicopter.

I'm just taking reference at how small Diamondback looks. This seems like the photo was taken from possibly 400 to 600 feet in the air? Maybe higher? I don't think drones can fly that high, not without even breaking FAA rules. 

The pictures in question also seemed to be in a more straight path, like a curved path around the park. Again, also similar to evidence of being taken from an airplane and or Helicopter. 

Thanks for the heads up; it does appear that they were taken from a (manned, licensed) aircraft. Sorry about that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, calakapepe said:

The queue only goes under a small portion closer to the back end of the station. The smaller tunnel between the station and the smallest shed box.

If a GCI person made a blog post about whats in the shed, please don't talk about what he or she said. 

I've read the blog post and it doesn't mention anything to theming other than speculative ideas. It just says that there will be transfer track in the shed as well....it's publicly available so I don't think it's something that couldn't be shared.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Drummermattk said:

So i searched up #WhatsInTheShed on Twitter and found these posted yesterday! All I have to say is WOW!

Source (Photo credit to @Gooberwiper on Twitter)

<photos removed to conserve vertical space and mobile data>

Okay, so I admit that I did not follow the speculation leading up to the announcement very well, and I've done an even worse job of following the construction progress. Is it wrong to be as active as I am on this site and still not be addicted to the park? :P Anyway, I digress. The point is that these photos are the first time that I have truly gotten a good understanding of exactly how Mystic Timbers is laid out and how it fits in with the surrounding area. I did not realize how close the back end of it comes to the train tracks and train storage shed. To borrow a phrase from silver2005, good googly moogly. The train ride will never be the same again.

• Like 7

I didn't realize how much a size difference there was between the first 2 hills and the rest of the layout.  This thing will have the afterburners turned up to 11.  Oh, and this is longer than Thunderhead.  

WWC should be a more interesting experience as well, not only in anticipating water cannons, but with this thing flying all around.  

• Like 6

On 2/7/2017 at 3:41 PM, Drummermattk said:

So i searched up #WhatsInTheShed on Twitter and found these posted yesterday! All I have to say is WOW!

Source (Photo credit to @Gooberwiper on Twitter)

2017-2-7.jpg

2017-2-7-2.jpg

Wow, this coasters takes up more space than I thought it would. Picture just shows how beautiful Mystic Timbers is, Only 65 more days until Opening Day

• Like 7

It can be exceedingly difficult to keep trees intact during a construction project.  It looks like they've done a great job!

Just wait until spring hits, things should fill in nicely.

I really can't wait to see some test runs on the webcam...

• Like 8