Mystic Timbers Construction Progress

stashua123

Do you think there will be lights integrated into the train's headlights'? Highly unlikely if they were on the whole course of the ride with KI's awesome night ride track record. It would be cool if they were lit in the station and turned off right before the first drop and turned them back on again as the train approaches the shed.

Ive yet to see on-train lights for a wooden coaster.. im not expecting it
  • Like 3

That is what I've been anticipating too! First I was like "goodness, too much left and right" but then i kept watching and realized that it actually looks like there's gonna be some floater on there while you're transitioning from left to right which is fine since outta likely not to be ejector there,thankfully

• Like 2

11 hours ago, calakapepe said:

Ive yet to see on-train lights for a wooden coaster.. im not expecting it

This isn't an outstanding example, but it IS an example of a wooden coaster with on-board lights:

NPNBD+%25285%2529.jpg

(Source: forums.planetcoaster.com)

National Amusement Devices was a major player in the pre-KI amusement industry. Their Century Flyer trains (pictured above) were capable of having up to three lamps installed in the first car: the two shown in the picture, and a third in place of that red circle in the middle. Century Flyers used to be everywhere, but now (to my knowledge) only exist on three coasters today: Thunderbolt at Kennywood, Blue Streak at Conneaut Lake Park, and Big Dipper at Camden Park (which I believe is the ride pictured above.) Lil' Dipper at Camden is (again, to my knowledge) the only coaster out there with NAD's kid-sized version of Century Flyers.

I've read before somewhere (I've forgotten the source--it's been years) that the jostles and jolts of wooden coasters would knock something out of place in the lamps and destroy them. I've gotten the impression that many parks would, over time, remove them and provide some kind of non-technical placeholder that was easier/cheaper to maintain. Until very recently, all three trains on Kennywood's Thunderbolt looked something like this:

KW-5-31-04-Thunderbolt-8.jpg

(Source: Negative-G)

In 2014, Penn State's Theme Park Engineering group made a proposal to restore the headlamps on Thunderbolt using LEDs. (Here's a link with a short write-up.) When Thunderbolt opened for 2014, the two headlamps on the red train were updated, but the green and blue trains remained the same. Here's what the new headlamps looked like:

tuze9y4u.jpg

(Source: Kennywood Connection)

Unfortunately, I don't know that the restoration ever continued beyond that point--or even that the red train's lights ever were functional. I've never witnessed them working myself, and I've never read any reports that they were operational. I've also never heard whether or not the blue or green trains were completed--I don't think I've been to Kennywood in the summer since 2014. Whether this is due to the lamps not functioning or due to them not being a priority for Kennywood at the moment, I'm not sure.

So yes... lights on a wooden coaster have been done before. Kinda. I just don't get the impression that it's ever worked particularly well.

• Like 14

I went to Camden Park a many a years in my childhood (I live about 20 min. from the park) and I don't think I've ever seen it run at night with the headlights actually on. It's very possible it's happened! I just never noticed it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 6

This isn't an outstanding example, but it IS an example of a wooden coaster with on-board lights:
NPNBD+%25285%2529.jpg
(Source: forums.planetcoaster.com)
National Amusement Devices was a major player in the pre-KI amusement industry. Their Century Flyer trains (pictured above) were capable of having up to three lamps installed in the first car: the two shown in the picture, and a third in place of that red circle in the middle. Century Flyers used to be everywhere, but now (to my knowledge) only exist on three coasters today: Thunderbolt at Kennywood, Blue Streak at Conneaut Lake Park, and Big Dipper at Camden Park (which I believe is the ride pictured above.) Lil' Dipper at Camden is (again, to my knowledge) the only coaster out there with NAD's kid-sized version of Century Flyers.
I've read before somewhere (I've forgotten the source--it's been years) that the jostles and jolts of wooden coasters would knock something out of place in the lamps and destroy them. I've gotten the impression that many parks would, over time, remove them and provide some kind of non-technical placeholder that was easier/cheaper to maintain. Until very recently, all three trains on Kennywood's Thunderbolt looked something like this:
KW-5-31-04-Thunderbolt-8.jpg
(Source: Negative-G)
In 2014, Penn State's Theme Park Engineering group made a proposal to restore the headlamps on Thunderbolt using LEDs. (Here's a link with a short write-up.) When Thunderbolt opened for 2014, the two headlamps on the red train were updated, but the green and blue trains remained the same. Here's what the new headlamps looked like:
tuze9y4u.jpg
(Source: Kennywood Connection)
Unfortunately, I don't know that the restoration ever continued beyond that point--or even that the red train's lights ever were functional. I've never witnessed them working myself, and I've never read any reports that they were operational. I've also never heard whether or not the blue or green trains were completed--I don't think I've been to Kennywood in the summer since 2014. Whether this is due to the lamps not functioning or due to them not being a priority for Kennywood at the moment, I'm not sure.
So yes... lights on a wooden coaster have been done before. Kinda. I just don't get the impression that it's ever worked particularly well.

Yes, that first pic is the Big Dipper at Camden Park I knew it the moment I saw it lol

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, johnaalexis said:

I went to Camden Park a many a years in my childhood (I live about 20 min. from the park) and I don't think I've ever seen it run at night with the headlights actually on. It's very possible it's happened! I just never noticed it emoji846.png

I feel horrible living about 20 minutes from Camden Park as well and not having been there in at least a decade or so.  I cannot remember the headlights ever working either.  

• Like 2

Aren't those cables attached to that stump at the bottom? It looks like there is some sort of connection on the right side of it there. That is really weird! I didn't notice any of that when I saw the snap. I think the red chicken scratches were meant to draw attention to the cables, tho. 

I'm intrigued even though I can't make head or tails of it. 

• Like 3

It's really hard to tell because everything is in focus and the cables line up with the stump.. but I think it looks like the cables are behind the stump, and the stump is just in the foreground. I doubt it's simply the cables after the bent was erected, now hanging, not connected to a small lifting machine since all the bents were completed awhile ago

• Like 2