Mystic Timbers Construction Progress

stashua123

We won't be able to get these nice close pics of the work area soon, as they are itching to close WWC to get to work on the crossings. I think the ride would already be closed if it hadn't been so absurdly hot these last couple of weeks. My past few visits, WWC has been closed until later in the day, because they had the fences down to bring in mixer trucks*, etc.

83e9ea84325369bcb660104c5a25f31c.jpg

0babdf165473c3e33493df4c0414556f.jpg

a75e1bd6eb6b3bc2a18030e71a724426.jpg

We will apparently still be able to take pics from the train, during the /days/ in the fall anyway (I asked Don Helbig specifically if they'd be running during Haunt, and he said they wouldn't, only days). It isn't quite the same tho.

4f5b22ea29952af22b0fa51c0d7a2654.jpg

But we can see other areas from the train we can't see from WWC queue.

878a3bbd951c42b485559ca0b176617b.jpg

The retaining wall has been completed.

44d274887531017567cfd2fb34ea1df5.jpg

I couldn't see these really well, but they seem to be stacked trusses. Station maybe?

* I've heard in the past that mixer truck drivers can sometimes be a little nuts, trying to get the concrete to their worksite before it sets. When I was riding the train yesterday, as I was focused on taking shots of what had been poured already, I heard an unexpected blast of the train whistle. I looked forward, surprised, and saw a mixer truck driving rapidly into the job site to my right. He apparently just drove across the tracks in front of the train and I don't think the engineer was very pleased. I don't think it was close to an accident or anything tho.

Ki might want to have someone talk to the truck drivers, remember the heavier the train is the longer distance the train will take to stop. As a brakeman for a tourist railroad I have had many terrifying moments of people walking or driving in front of my train. That said if you hear two longs, a short followed by another long then that is just the standard crossing whistle. Also signs marked "W" are where the whistle is to be sounded.
  • Like 6

I've rode the train quite a number of times (probably approaching 100 if not more) this season, trying to figure out/document the birth of what turns out to be Mystic Timbers. It was definitely not one of the usual whistles, which is why it drew my attention away from my picture taking. I barely even notice the ones they do every time, although I probably would notice if they didn't do one of those for some reason.

I just hope they don't have too many problems and shut the train down for the season. The train isn't the same as having the WWC queue for taking pictures, but just a web cam doesn't even begin to compare. I know the web cam will eventually be the only way to see it, but I want to have as close a view of the birth of this coaster as I can, for as long as possible.

• Like 8

^^Oh that camera people was talking about,  didn't someone say it might have already been there?  Or it wasn't noticed until now, cause of the new coaster being built? Btw I do hope we get a construction webcam for MT. Did Banshee have one? Sorry a lot of question's,  I wasn't around here when they was building Banshee.  ^_^

• Like 2

Oh, another thing Mr. Helbig mentioned about that, I don't think he'd mind me repeating.

He mentioned that while Mr. T is only a foot shorter than Beast, and slower top speed, it will pretty much be going top speed all through it, with no trims or brakes... until the shed. Which prompted me to ask "what's in the shed?" fully expecting his answer "I can't tell you!" which is exactly what he said. He went on to say that no one will know until the ride opens in the spring, and that even when associates are riding the new coaster in testing prior to the reveal day, what's in the shed will not be "available" to them.

So, going off that, presumably whatever the special thing is in the shed, it will be covered during testing, installed after testing, or inoperative during testing.

Regardless, we undoubtedly would not be able to figure it out from a webcam set on the opposite end of the coaster from the shed if people will be able to be inside the shed and still not know.

• Like 15

I saw the process that they have to go thru on that Mike Rowe show (dirty jobs, or tough jobs, whatever it was called, can't recall exactly). Basically have to set off explosives to get it apart then chisle away the rest. I'm sure those truck drivers are instructed not to waste time. IIRC, they have roughly an hour from when they leave the plant to when they have to get the cement poured.

With that said, no way they are as crazy as steel workers. I've seen those guys putting up structure for both buildings and roller coasters, there is not enough money in the world to get me to do the job those people do.

I believe you mean Ironworker.. But yes. Crazy!!!

Back to the Concrete trucks. Yes there is a finite amount of time to get the product poured. Temp, humidity and the specific mix are all variables.

They definitely need to hustle to the site.

My grandfather was one of those "crazy" ironworkers. He helped with the construction of the Eiffel Tower at KI, and many other buildings in Cincinnati. Let's say he fell a could of times, but still went back to work. Lol

Sent from my iOS 10 device

• Like 6

I was already thinking it would be a Verbolten-esque show room. The way they said it will be a different ride every time you ride it, led me to believe it would have different "stories" kind of how Verbolten is. I think this is more likely after what ML said, it would be easier to keep that a secret then other options and makes the most sense to me.

• Like 5

Another rumor I heard, from a ride op who related it just as something he heard, nothing definitive: nobody knows "what's in the shed" because it hasn't been finalized yet.

Just in case that's true, I think we should speculate our wildest dreams just so they might pick one and make it come true :)

• Like 7

Another rumor I heard, from a ride op who related it just as something he heard, nothing definitive: nobody knows "what's in the shed" because it hasn't been finalized yet.

Just in case that's true, I think we should speculate our wildest dreams just so they might pick one and make it come true :)

This is what I speculated and posted here  waaay back right after the announcement. I said the shed might not be finalized and that KI management might be scouring fan sites for ideas and inspiration.

• Like 3

This idea is a little crazy so bear with me. In the simulation of Mystic Timbers the turn from the Shed into the station just seems to sharp for a train to traverse. So, I think that the layout in the simulation is not the entire ride. I have a friend who worked at GCI last summer and told me they were working on a switchback. This would be very close to when GCI was making plans for MT. I believe that there will be a backwards launch into a different section of track that is not shown in the simulation. This is still plausible because they still won't say what's in the shed, which could include a different section of track. It is also worth noting that when the train pulls into the station in the pov the ride time is 1:44 with 27 seconds of lift. That is not long at all, which could allow for more track else where.

• Like 2

Hold up, I had talked to Don when he was at the Train possibly 3 or 5 days ago. And he said that they aren't going to tell us what's on the shed. But I had asked him "do you know what's in the Shed?" And he responded with "Yes."

• Like 2

^Also, they said 16 airtime hills, but my friend pointed out he was only counting around 10. Didn't they also say something about second "big" drop?

Sent from my LGL33L using Tapatalk

Edit for spelling.

Doubling up my posting here, but I'm on my phone so it makes it difficult to do anything. Not all airtime comes from hills. Depending on where you are, the turns can easily count as airtime if they're fast enough.

Maverick for Example. All the turns, depending on who is in what seat will get airtime. So possibly count some turns. Plus not all Airtime is possible to see.

• Like 2

^Also, they said 16 airtime hills, but my friend pointed out he was only counting around 10. Didn't they also say something about second "big" drop?

Sent from my LGL33L using Tapatalk

Edit for spelling.

Doubling up my posting here, but I'm on my phone so it makes it difficult to do anything. Not all airtime comes from hills. Depending on where you are, the turns can easily count as airtime if they're fast enough.

Maverick for Example. All the turns, depending on who is in what seat will get airtime. So possibly count some turns. Plus not all Airtime is possible to see.

I counted as well and never got all the way to 16, but never as low as 10 either. I figure some of the hills are just too small to make out in the rendering.

As for airtime not coming from hills the intro video did not just say 16 airtime moments, but clearly stated "16 airtime hills".

Also, I believe the second big drop is the drop over the lift hill after the first drop off the lift.

• Like 2