What really BUGS me.

DontWantToWait42mar0

I feel like the only person who doesn't get why Magnum XL-200 is so great. The main thing I remember is how painful the bunny hills at the end were. What is it that keeps fans coming back to that thing?

I enjoy it completely, in any seat. The bunny hills at the end don't bring me any pain. 

What brings me back to the ride? A lot of fun, laughing, the experience, night rides looking out into the pitch black "sea," and the speed.

Ride on 6-2. Do it after dark. To me, the best night ride is Magnum XL-200. The breeze on your face climbing up the hill, looking at light houses on the lake, colors of the park lighting up the ride, I became a coaster junky from this very ride.

• Like 3

Alot of people enjoy Magnum for its ejector airtime. It is the real deal. It is a roller coaster that is approaching being 30 years old. It was the very first in the world hyper coaster, and is a serious landmark. It started the coaster wars that now exist to build the biggest and fastest best ride known to mankind.It should not be compared to modern rollercoasters such as Diamondback, which I love by the way. Comparing coasters of different generations is not fair. Most "rollercoaster enthusiasts" would say that The Voyage at holiday world is a far superior coaster to The Beast. I would say that these enthusiasts are not taking into account the age or history of The Beast. See, The Beast is approaching 40 years old and the Voyage isn't even 10 yet. What The Beast did for rollercoasters was revolutionary. What the Voyage did was perhaps improve on this slightly and it took 30 years. Apples to apples friends.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Alot of people enjoy Magnum for its ejector airtime. It is the real deal. It is a roller coaster that is approaching being 30 years old. It was the very first in the world hyper coaster, and is a serious landmark. It started the coaster wars that now exist to build the biggest and fastest best ride known to mankind.It should not be compared to modern rollercoasters such as Diamondback, which I love by the way. Comparing coasters of different generations is not fair. Most "rollercoaster enthusiasts" would say that The Voyage at holiday world is a far superior coaster to The Beast. I would say that these enthusiasts are not taking into account the age or history of The Beast. See, The Beast is approaching 40 years old and the Voyage isn't even 10 yet. What The Beast did for rollercoasters was revolutionary. What the Voyage did was perhaps improve on this slightly and it took 30 years. Apples to apples friends.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

If older coasters don't measure up then they aren't as good. I love Magnum XL 200 but Diamondback is superior in almost every respect save ejector time and beside the ejector time they are designed to achieve largely the same things. The Beast has maintained its status despite its age, and I wouldn't put The Voyage above it. All the history is cool but it doesn't change the ride experience, luckily most of these old legends have qualities that keep them great long after their tech has become obsolete. 

Interesting discussion.  After all these years, I still enjoy Magnum far more than Millennium Force.  Generations of coaster aside, Superman Ride of Steel built in 1999 is still my favorite coaster of them all.  Loving a certain coaster is a personal matter anyway.  I personally love coasters with relentless G force and change in G.

In certain ways, Magnum is the reason why Diamondback, Superman Ride of Steel (Bizarro), and other hypers came into existence.  It is historical and some people do find it too much to handle.  Magnum was the first coaster I was on that was higher than 100 feet AND 200 feet.  

• Like 1

I'll take Magnum XL-200 over Diamondback every day of the week, and twice on Tuesdays. The "out of control" feeling provided by hand-engineered (aka, no CAD) rides cannot really be matched in the age of auto-smoothing "NoLimits" Force-Vector style designs. You can tell every inch of these newer rides has been calculated down to the millimeter.

• Like 2

• 2 years later...

I think its kinda funny that people complain about KI not getting CP level rides when parks like Dorney, Valley Fair!, World's of Fun, and Michigan's Adventure haven't gotten a coaster in over a decade. 

Valravn is a fun ride and has one of the better second halfs of any dive machine, even more so than the looks of Yukon Striker. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...