Wildwater Kingdom to close for good Sept. 5th

So, I wonder if anyone noticed this...

https://twitter.com/wildwaterfun/status/753371109781889025?lang=en

the rumors of the demise of Geauga Lake, or that we're slowly phasing it out, are completely untrue" and "Geauga Lake is here to stay."

Bill Spehn

"It's a very special ride. We want to make sure it has a proper home." 

Robin Innes

At least they are staying consistent.

• Like 8

What ride was the quote from Robin Innes in regards to?

And yea I'd say that they either had confirmed yet or were trying to wait to announce as the tweet is from July so it's no in response to the announcement. Also there is no reply to the comments on it from after the announcement to point to them staying open.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Campaigns have come and gone....some tried to purchase Big Dipper and some unfortunately failed.....some have tried to Petition Cedar Fair and some have failed. 

At this point, I personally believe, any efforts to purchase the property, to reopen the park, to reopen Big Dipper and/or to bring back the glory days would be in vain. 

• Like 4

Campaigns have come and gone....some tried to purchase Big Dipper and some unfortunately failed.....some have tried to Petition Cedar Fair and some have failed. 

At this point, I personally believe, any efforts to purchase the property, to reopen the park, to reopen Big Dipper and/or to bring back the glory days would be in vain. 

relocating rotting wood isn't easy, its safe to say its done, sad but true, however i want to look to the future of the city and their lake not being blocked off by a closed, rotting theme park, there are ideas of shopping and public parks, which will be nice for the area

• Like 1

What happened to the proposed Meijer?

The township had what seemed to be an ever-growing list of DEMANDS for Meijer to meet.

If I were Meijer, I would take my capital investment elsewhere.

Note there are two competing townships that are affected by the old Six Flags Worlds of Adventure real estate, and they don't get along.

• Like 4

After 129 years, now closed forever as an amusement destination.

As sad as this is... can we raise $100 million on Kickstarter or GoFundMe?

Enthusiasts don't have that kind of money. I'd be surprised if the campaign got to $100.

I really hope people aren't attempting to take me seriously here... 

Unfortunately petitions don't place patrons in the park to make it profitable.  

View the Yelp, Google, Facebook, etc... pages; there were always comments about "no, short, etc... lines."  The same were true the last 2 years GL was in operation.  Look at the YouTube videos from the last seasons:  Dominator coaster trains not even half full.  Less than 10 people riding their topspin ride.  3 people on Head Spin.  Empty midways.  

The park(s) simply weren't supported by the local population- or there wasn't enough local population to support it.  Any owner will only let an asset bleed cash for so long before pulling the plug.

Did Six over-build and cast the seeds we're seeing mature now?; probably.  Different discussion though.

• Like 2

Back when I lived there in the Six Flags days it was always PACKED. Long lines, barely any room to walk. Then again that was in 2003 when the economy was very different.

That darn road in front of the park was the worst though. It could NOT handle the traffic flow at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Yet, in 2004, Cedar Fair acquired the entire property for a song - less than was spent acquiring SeaWorld Ohio a few years earlier.

Not to mention the value of the amusement park and the cost of adding five new coasters in 2 years, among many other capital improvements.

• Like 2

^^ After spending so much to get rid of one, Cedar Fair would undoubtedly make a sale contingent on not building an amusement park there.

This sort of arrangement has precedent at the site; restrictions preventing SeaWorld from building tall rides were a major reason why that park was originally sold to Six Flags.

• Like 3