Spontaneous Cedar Point TR (8-30-16)

Joncars05

Cedar Point 8-30-16

My wife and I took a surprise trip Cedar Point. We took advantage of the cheap Groupon ticket. We arrived at the park around 11 am and the park was DEAD! We quickly went to Millennium Force and rode it once. We waited maybe 15 minutes. It was such a fun ride as usual. We then headed back to Maverick which we discovered was over an hour wait. We ended up heading back up to Top Thrill Dragster which had a 20 minute wait. This ride always surprises me how fast and powerful the launch is. After Dragster we rode Gatekeeper before heading out of the park for lunch.

After lunch I went around and took some photos and rode Gemini, Top Thrill Dragster, and Rougarou. We ended our day with Millennium Force and headed out of the park around 7 to head back to Indianapolis. It was a great day as it was just me and my wife. It was a truly spontaneous trip as we both had very light schedules on Aug 30th and were able to head to the park to enjoy some time with each other. We didn’t ride much even though the longest lines were Valravn and Maverick were over an hour all day. Millennium Force was about 15-25 minutes all day. Everything else was basically a walk on. It was a great time with great weather. It was kind of nice to just hang out in the park and not rush or even really want to ride constantly. Even though this was brief, thanks for reading! Photos and ride counts are below.

Ride Count:

MF: 2

TTD: 2

GK: 1

Rougarou: 1

Gemini: 1

Definitely my favorite photo from the trip!

29814578235_bcbc3ee071_z.jpg

Millennium Force

29814588255_69d86d87d1_z.jpg

TTD on the way down!

29731881261_ac6833ac33_z.jpg

Millennium Force Train

29186930794_4905a07f9d_z.jpg

Wispy clouds

29731868071_4fce345bc2_z.jpg

Cedar Creek Mine Ride

29186920704_f4707ee0da_z.jpg

I had to get this shot after seeing the teaser about Mean Streak getting the axe

29778803516_0df227bd21_z.jpg

Maverick headed into the launch tunnel

29186910914_2ed34d68d3_z.jpg

• Like 10

I don't think I've ever seen a picture of yours that I didn't love. Great TR, as usual!

EDIT: Also, just curious... What filters do you use? I bought a polarizing filter in an attempt to take cool sky and water shots like the fifth one down, but I just can't quite get the effect I want.

Thanks, I really appreciate that! For my set up I don't use any lens filters while taking photos. I do use editing software that helps bring out detail and color of photos really well. The editing program I use is Color Efex Pro 4, it is part of the Nik Collection. It doesn't take RAW files so you must convert them to JPG or TIFF before you are able to edit photos. Its really simple to use. Lots of filters with sliders and control points. I usually use Detail Extractor, Polarization, and Pro Contrast filters and adjust the sliders to my liking. 

Nice pics you must have a good camera! Several of those could be promo shots, except for all the raised hands. :)

Thanks! I take photos with a Nikon D5300. It is an entry level DSLR. I usually shoot the coasters with a 55-300mm zoom lens. I have two other lenses, a 18-55mm lens and a 8mm fixed fisheye lens.

• Like 2

Amazing processing

I'm viewing on a phone. But i know for sure that the color balance is very nice! Sounds like a great day with small crowds

Thanks! It was a great day. We could've rode all day if we wanted but I think we were fine with just hanging out in the park! 

Amazing report and pictures!

I was going to do my report to but two months later of me being lazy and still nothing

Thank you! I almost didn't post this trip report but I ended up posting it because I wanted to share the day with everyone.