COSI's Adventure to Close 2017

14276550_305794753110679_695347398260346

On January 1, 2017, the Adventure in the Valley of the Unknown exhibit at COSI in Columbus will close forever.

The incredible 9,000 square foot exhibition is a fully self-contained tropical island under perpetual night skies, lit by torches and excavation lights. Inside, you're transported to the 1930s to become part of the Explorer's Society and their ongoing efforts to unlock the sealed Observatory of Knowledge. 

Guests then explore four areas of the Valley: the Well of Questions, Maze of Reason, Temple of Inspiration, and Cavern of Perseverance. In each region, they must find and awaken ancient stone Audio-Animatronics statues that hold the key to unlocking the Observatory and discovering the Treasure of Knowledge. Throughout the quest, living Explorers Society members from around the globe populate the island looking to solve the puzzle as well.

Intrepid explorers can test their skills on a second "level" of the puzzle that takes 15 - 20 hours of deciphering, decoding, digging, exploring, and puzzling to uncover, making Adventure something like a living puzzle / video game / adventure / escape room.

Easily on par with Disney's best Imagineering, this totally immersive, living world is one of the most impressive and awe-inspiring things in the Midwest and a total must-see for fans of theme parks, themed entertainment design, escape rooms, Indiana Jones, or puzzles.

I encourage each and every one of you to visit (or revisit) the Valley of the Unknown ahead of its closing this holiday season. You can find more information on COSI's website and read my own in-depth analysis of the exhibit on Theme Park Tourist.

• Like 7

COSI partnered with the American Museum of Natural History (from New York – the one with the big blue whale / Night at the Museum) to bring a permanent Dinosaur Gallery and a traveling exhibit space for AMNH exhibits. It's the first time they've ever partnered with another institution, to my understanding. Definitely will be a big draw (bigger than Adventure by exponents). Still sad to see a tremendously unique experience leveled. 

But, like so many changes happening right now, nothing can be done except to appreciate it while we can.

• Like 5

I read about the dinosaur exhibit, but I didn't realize it was going into Adventure's space. I'll definitely make a point to visit before it closes. I've only been in once, when my group decided to exit the exhibit before making it through the first level.

Hard to imagine it's already 17 years old. Hopefully COSI (in due time) follows up with an interactive experience that's a worthy successor.

• Like 4

NO. No no no no. No no no no no no no nononononono.

I still haven't done it. This is not going away without me having done it. Plans are getting made. This is happening ASAP, so help me. Adventure is not slipping by me.

Thank you so much for posting about it here.

This. The only time I "did" Adventure was as a kid of about 8 or 9 years, and my parents basically took the lead, did the tasks themselves, and cheated by watching others get the codes once they decided we had been in there long enough (which was a VERY short period of time). I did jack diddly squat in there myself. A KIC meetup definitely needs to happen here before the end of the year.

• Like 3

Just an FYI for anyone not familiar with reciprocity. Many museums belong to organizations through which members can get free or discounted admission to other museums. COSI belongs to both ASTC (free) and ACM (50% off).

Members of the Cincinnati museum center which is currently mostly closed for renovations is also a member of ATSC and members for instance get free admission to COSI and they pay the member price for a ticket to Adventure.

I keep planning on doing the second level of Adventure I guess I need to get it done.

• Like 3

Would a 3 year old be too young to go to this ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It really depends on the child. When I was a part-timer in there, I saw about 50/50 children that loved it and hated it. My oldest nephew would freak out every time I tried to take him through. The exhibit area is much darker than the rest of the building. Lights flicker and there are random ambient noises that can startle if not expected. The cavern area tends to be the hardest area for little kids - it's the loudest area with slamming doors.

Before younger kids went in, I would tell them that they are going on a treasure hunt but it's a bit darker in there. The lights will never go off completely and you may walk by something that will make a noise...but it's only a noise, there is nothing there. You even get to wake up these large silly statues who sing songs for you!

Honestly, you know your child best. If little shark can handle the dimness of Boo Blasters, Adventure should (in theory) be fine. I hope that helps!

• Like 4

Wow, 15-20 hours to solve the puzzle? I'm assuming this isn't all done in one visit.  Does this require multiple visits to complete?

You can enter the observatory for the first level in one visit that lasts 25-45 minutes (depending on your group or crowds). 

For  the next level, there is no way to complete it in one visit. It took most groups multiple visits and hours spent in the exhibit and hours working on it at home. What I saw lots of folks do is come in and work on one part for as long as they could, take pictures and then work on it at home before their next visit. There are several parts that have to be done in the exhibit. However, decoding the first language can be done by taking pictures and working through it at home. Then you can come back and finish that area and move on to the next. If you want to work on that next level, bring a flashlight, digital camera, notebook and pencil/pen. 

• Like 3

Would a 3 year old be too young to go to this ?

It really depends on the child. When I was a part-timer in there, I saw about 50/50 children that loved it and hated it. My oldest nephew would freak out every time I tried to take him through. The exhibit area is much darker than the rest of the building. Lights flicker and there are random ambient noises that can startle if not expected. The cavern area tends to be the hardest area for little kids - it's the loudest area with slamming doors.

Before younger kids went in, I would tell them that they are going on a treasure hunt but it's a bit darker in there. The lights will never go off completely and you may walk by something that will make a noise...but it's only a noise, there is nothing there. You even get to wake up these large silly statues who sing songs for you!

Honestly, you know your child best. If little shark can handle the dimness of Boo Blasters, Adventure should (in theory) be fine. I hope that helps!

He loves Boo Blasters. I don't expect him to solve anything but it may be worth it to have him experience it.

What I love so much about COSI is how it defies the normal "science center" model of open floorplans and mismatched exhibits to instead place its components into themed, immersive, "Imagineering" style exhibits. I wrote an in-depth feature on COSI from a theme park fan point-of-view that I think is very cool. Basically, the museum takes this huge idea of "science" and divides it into these more concrete topics... 

Ocean, Energy, Gadgets, Progress, Life, Space, and Adventure (each exhibit with that one-word name), each in its own fully-immersive exhibit space. What I love about that model is that some of them are obvious (Ocean, Energy, Life, Space... obvious bits of "science") while the rest are less blatant, like Progress (the idea that things change, bringing hopes and fears), Gadgets (invention, innovation, simple machines, force and motion, and their role in science) and Adventure (the idea that science involves going out into the unknown and following the scientific method). Smart! 

Kids would often ask me why COSI doesn't have dinosaurs, and I'd think to myself that it just didn't fit that formula. Oceans, Space, Energy, Adventure, Life, Progress... Dinosaurs?

I'm certain the new exhibit space will be fabulous. Seriously. A world-class dinosaur gallery with some fun interactive components. But it's certainly out of step with the rest of the building's built-out, Disney-style immersive worlds covering broad, abstract topics. 

• Like 5

• 2 months later...

I just wanted to say that I finished level 2 earlier today. It was definitely worth doing, although I am not a huge fan of the puzzles in one area, I just felt like there was not enough instruction.

Having said that, if you have never been to Adventure before I cannot recommend enough to go and experience the first level if nothing else. It only takes an hour or two and is extremely well done. If you want to experience everything and complete the harder set of puzzles expect to spend two or three days. Take a pencil, flashlight, camera, and a notebook. Be willing to ask for assistance if you are stuck because some of the puzzles are difficult. This is a very unique experience which will soon disappear for good and this is your last chance.

If anyone wants some assistance on level 2 just ask. I will try to help without giving too much away.

• Like 4

Just got off the phone with my step mom and looks like she is getting the boys a COSI family pass for 2017. I told everyone to focus on experiential items this year becuase there really are few physical things they want or need right now and boys Genrally don't like getting clothes as presents. :)

My mom is going to get them SF passes, now if I can just find someone to flip for the CF passes. I don't think I am going to have much luck with that. :(

By the way if I have 3 Groupon passes to COSI that expire on the 15th if someone wants them and is willing to meet me somewhere around Polaris or Worthington. No Charge. Final exams are this week so we are not going to be able to use them.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Welp, today's the last day Adventure is open! :( We can only hope that the exhibit lives on in some way such as retaining some Adventure-esque elements in the dino exhibit (like searching for certain dinos) or at the very least, incorporate some throwback Easter Eggs. 'Twas a great 17 years; you had a great run!

..but at least we still have Oceans! :D

• Like 3