Tom and Chee

TRTR Guy

There is now a Tom and Chee and King's Island located near Diamondback in the old Hot Dog Stand/ Snake Pit Location.  I spoke with the worker, and he said it is a test for the rest of the season to see if they want to continue next year.  He also confirmed that the dining plan will be valid there starting tomorrow (Saturday October 1st) once they get it loaded into the system.  They were still in the process of setting the stand up, as they only began at 4 PM today.

• Like 10

Prices actually look equivalent to what they charge in their normal stores! Granted, that's still not cheap for grilled cheese! Maybe that's why all three locations here in Columbus closed mysteriously in 2015 after a year in the market.

To be fair, Columbus also has a grilled cheese transplant from Cleveland called Melt Bar & Grilled that's the same idea (expensive grilled cheese) but the sandwiches are artsy fartsy, fully-loaded, knife-and-fork, take-half-home kinda fare. Melt also has that hipster chiq, must-try mystique that lets it fit in in the Short North Arts District (our OTR from what I understand) with its 20-something-magnet pub format vs. Tom + Chee's fast-food format.

I liked them both. I'm a grilled cheese fan! I'm just surprised! I didn't know Tom + Chee was a big, franchised chain to begin with so when Columbus' locations all disappear, I just assumed the whole company had closed up shop. Exciting to see it at Kings Island!

• Like 2

Prices actually look equivalent to what they charge in their normal stores! Granted, that's still not cheap for grilled cheese! Maybe that's why all three locations here in Columbus closed mysteriously in 2015 after a year in the market.

To be fair, Columbus also has a grilled cheese transplant from Cleveland called Melt Bar & Grilled that's the same idea (expensive grilled cheese) but the sandwiches are artsy fartsy, fully-loaded, knife-and-fork, take-half-home kinda fare. Melt also has that hipster chiq, must-try mystique that lets it fit in in the Short North Arts District (our OTR from what I understand) with its 20-something-magnet pub format vs. Tom + Chee's fast-food format.

I liked them both. I'm a grilled cheese fan! I'm just surprised! I didn't know Tom + Chee was a big, franchised chain to begin with so when Columbus' locations all disappear, I just assumed the whole company had closed up shop. Exciting to see it at Kings Island!

That just tells you the profit margins are huge, if I'm not mistaken Starbucks coffee is the same price outside of the park.

• Like 1

That just tells you the profit margins are huge, if I'm not mistaken Starbucks coffee is the same price outside of the park.

As of last year, at least, the prices at Starbucks inside KI were indeed higher than outside the park, albeit not by much.

When I went yesterday morning, I talked to them a bit while they were still setting up. I asked whether the melts were going to be on the meal plan, and he said they still are trying to decide what would be offered. He said they were thinking the BBQ Bacon and I told him if I get a vote I'm all for that!

I hope for everybody else it's more than just the one option but if it really is just the BBQ Bacon, I'd be perfectly happy :)

I saw that on my way back to SlaughterHouse on Friday.  I was excited because I've never had Tom + Chee but I've always wanted to try it.  At the end of the night as we were walking back, a lot of the SlaughterHouse guys liked that it was there too.  Hopefully it does well and sticks around for next year because I don't know that I'll have a chance this year to have it.

• Like 1

Really overpriced for just a simple sandwich. With something that I could make at home for about $3.00, I could buy at this location for $8! I'm sorry but if this doesn't get onto the dining plan, I'm not eating, if the sandwich was larger I would maybe think about it, but in no way is that sandwich worth $8 on it's own.

Really overpriced for just a simple sandwich. With something that I could make at home for about $3.00, I could buy at this location for $8! I'm sorry but if this doesn't get onto the dining plan, I'm not eating, if the sandwich was larger I would maybe think about it, but in no way is that sandwich worth $8 on it's own.

I haven't seen the sandwiches at KI, so I'm not sure on the size...however the last I saw a Tom and Chee sandwich it was fairly big.....worth it.  

You could technically make any fast food way cheaper than what the restaurants charge. If you want something "more" then check out their other menu options. They have some unique items, to say the least.

BTW, I've also heard the rumor that they're adding it to the dining plan this weekend.

Let's hope it's here to stay!!

You could technically make any fast food way cheaper than what the restaurants charge. If you want something "more" then check out their other menu options. They have some unique items, to say the least.

BTW, I've also heard the rumor that they're adding it to the dining plan this weekend.

Hey if it is added to the plan, I will be more than happy to try it out. I just can't see a grilled cheese being so much. (Hopefully the Meal Plan will start on Friday!)

• Like 1

Hey if it is added to the plan, I will be more than happy to try it out. I just can't see a grilled cheese being so much. (Hopefully the Meal Plan will start on Friday!)

You aren't alone.  :D